eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
How long do I wait for payment?

I just sold several items and everybody paid within hours. However, one buyer hasn't. It's been more than 24 hours and although I haven't mentioned that I wanted quick payment or anything like that, I'm just wondering how long I'm supposed to wait. Can't find the answer anywhere. Whenever I buy something, I pay right away. It's just common sense to me.

Accepted Solutions: 3
Community Member
Answered
in reply to loveantiques2011

You got wait at least four days.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

Community Member
Answered

eBay says to wait for 4 days before  filing for an UPID.

You can do so after full 4 days  from  EOA>

kraloe
Community Member
Answered

Some buyers just don't pay right away. If you are going to sell on eBay, you should get used to that.

If there is no payment after 4 days, you can file UPI.

Other Answers: 23
Community Member
Answered

3 days in an still no payment. gets me worried. and it wasn't a 5 dollar item either. it was a 180 dollar item.

come on people get with it.

i always pay right away and i hope everyone that reads this does to.!!

Community Member
Answered

I know this is an old question, but it was the first thread that came up when I was searching for the same answer.  The "answer" has changed since the OP.  Now eBay says you may open a claim after 2 days.  The buyer THEN has 4 days to pay after the claim has been filed.

And I also agree that it would be nice if the buyer would communicate to the seller what his plans are.  It doesn't matter if he isn't the kind of person who checks his email daily.  He knows enough about the internet to open a Paypal and eBay account and bid on an item, he also needs to be responsible for paying quickly or communicating his intentions quickly.  It's just rude to bid on an item and then go away and never check on it for days at a time.  I have a couple of items that are 2 days overdue right now and I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering if they intend to pay or not!  I'm a new seller, so I am also experiencing this for the first time myself--I always pay as soon as I buy an item.  And I use an email address that I check daily so that I know what's going on with my personal transactions online. 

Community Member
Answered

This sort of thing gets infuriating quickly. We all know there are expectations of sellers to do this or that and give buyers the benefit of a doubt. I always do.

But, really, how many times do I have to see an auction progress smoothly, suddenly get sniped by someone new and then (maybe) told that they won't be able to pay me for five days at least?

If people do not have the money for these products, they simply should not bid on them. Nothing prevents it -- and if it goes wrong and the person inevitably backs out? All the work to fix that is on me. 

happypig0
Community Member
Answered

LOL, thread since 2011 but a great place to have a rant about disrepectful buyers. Personally I think if you bid, you pay and it should be concluded within 24hrs. I don't walk into a shop, select, agree a price then expect to have 4+ days to pay, unless of course by special and agreeable arrangment. Na, one should bid when one has the money only. If you're selling on eBay it's becuase you want the money, not the hasell waiting, chasing, etc etc.  Rant over :smileyvery-happy:

Community Member
Answered

Imposing four days  really not fair considering they require the

seller to specify how long they take to ship.

To be fair they should require the buyer to specify how long

before they pay.

Community Member
Answered

Ebay doesn't give a snit about sellers which is interesting because that's who pays them

neuronevada7
Community Member
Answered
I agree with the poster who states it is disrespectful. People should have enough respect to at least communicate with the seller about when they intend to make payment. I have a buyer who, three days in, has fallen off the map. Just communicate.
fjackman
Community Member
Answered
Personally, I pay as soon as I win an auction. I firmly believe a potential buyer who needs additional time to pay, get permission before bidding. That way, buyer and seller are both in-the-loop. Communication should be ongoing as well.
mnemick
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]

I DO NOT want to hear all the excuses for the buyer like maybe they don't check their e-mail dialy. That is total BS. IF YOU CAN'T PAY DON'T BID !!!!!!!!!!!!! Its as simple as that.You bid on an item it is YOUR responsibility to pay for it in a timely fashion. Where else do sellers trust that a buyer will pay for an item? NOWHERE !!!!!!!! ALL my purchases are paid for within minutes or maybe some hours but no longer, UNLESS, i have made acceptable arrangenemts wtih the seller PRIOR to bidding. This is all just common courtesy. You shouldn't need "Big Brother" ebay to tell you how to conduct youself. I am in a situation where i forgot to check the box on a BIN that requires immediated payment. Thia is a $1700 item the ebay has already listied my sellers fees on my account. This is ludicrious. It should not be on my account until the item is paid for. I have already indicated to ebay the the attorneys will sort it out if I don't get paid and they try to collece. 

morhanqueen
Community Member
Answered

Lordy, I am SO VERY SORRY members have treated you so poorly truly I am!! :smileysad:  I am myself a newbie and didn't know protocol and there are conflicting answers out there still. A week ago someone said 2days, now today 4 days. Either way I have had the great pleasure of encountering kind people like you who are willing to wait a few extra days due to my direct deposit date and my meaningful desire to buy their product, but like millions of people everywhere am raising a family, work hard for everything I get, with a college degree and still live paycheck to paycheck. and very frugal might I add. But sometimes the bid or auction will expire before I can fulfill their days allowed or they simply do not state their specified days in which payment is expected. I sincerely hope all of you sellers do not loose your kind spirit of the benefit of the doubt, for I have been given as long as a two week offer which I did eventually take up the seller on having politely asked them first and foremost for their permission to be granted to me for a few extra days. I don't believe in shafting a seller and agree there should be harsher penaltys if the buyer is out of hand repeatedly and just will not simply communicate. I communicated multiple times while the seller was in waiting just to let them know I was still aware of my promise to them and then when I fulfilled my promises on the day I said I would I messaged them again right after I paid. COMMUNICATION IS KEY and I feel is the BUYERS responsibility to their seller. The seller shouldn't have to beg and get not even a note. I applaude all of you sellers who still allow us who need time to have it and want you to know that your generosity is GREATLY APPRECIATED by those of us who aren't rich, have desires for your limited treasures and DO MAKE GOOD ON OUR PROMISES, even tho we are NEW! THANK YOU!!

panda_lala
Community Member
Answered

Typically I wait 3-4 days before I send a reminder invoice to the buyer. I don't discriminate against new user but I have noticed lately that instead of just saying "I don't want the item anymore" they just wont reply to any messages. This month alone I  had 3 new users that simply ignored my messages, which were very respectful, and just waited until I sent a cancellation request. Even now I have a brand new user that hasn't even had the courtesy to accept the cancellation. The aggravating part is that I even let them know I wont be angry if they aren't interested anymore.

Community Member
Answered

Thank you so much for your answers. I wasn't sure how it works. I am definitely willing to wait on the payment, especially when the buyer contacts me and asks me that.

But what do I do when I have contacted the buyer 3 times and I get no answer? Personally, I find it disrespectful. People want 5 star feedback, but they don't even bother to answer their messages. And my buyer obviously has time to post new items for sale and keeps getting feedback from other sellers, saying "thank you for your fast payment" while I keep sending messages and noone ever answers. I don't think that's the way to do any kind of business. Maybe Im crazy, but thats how I feel

Community Member
Answered

Been my experience in many years on eBay that if they don't pay within two days it is very unlikely they ever will.  On the other hand you must understand not everyone is glued to their computer 24/7, so up to a 48 hour wait is not that unusual and well within the realm of reason

Set your blocks properly, set up the unpaid item dispute to automatically kick in after 2 days and your nonpaying bidder problem will be minimal.

Site Map at bottom of every eBay page can be your best eBay friend!
Community Member
Answered

2 Days actually. http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html Section 2

Community Member
Answered

4 days eh? I recently had a buyer who wouldn't even answer any of my emails for over a month. Finally, 5 weeks after he was supposed to pay, I got an email from him asking if he could pick up the item that weekend and pay for it then. I'd already gone through the process and cancelled the sale by then and he had the hide to get all indignant on me. That's 1 blocked buyer I now have. Ebay didn't care by the way, as long as they got their $9.00 from me, purchase complete or not.

thestuffthatyoulove
Community Member
Answered

You can open an Unpaid Item Case after 48 hours of the sale.  If the buyer still doesn't pay for the item, you can close the case 4 days later to recover the final value fees that you paid.

To open a case, click the drop down menu "MORE ACTIONS" on the right side of the page and choose "Resolve a problem".  From there, you have the option to open an Unpaid Item case, or offer to cancel the transaction if the buyer requested it.

Keep in mind, that even IF the buyer requested to cancel the sale for whatever reason, you're under no obligation to do so.

ruths_dream
Community Member
Answered

Hi when someone wins a auction  the next day send them 1 reminder to pay before the 2 days are up and the Automated unpaid item assistant opens up a unpaid item case. Usually that gets em to pay if not wait the 2 full days and open a unpaid item case wait the 4 more days then go back close it to get your fees back then relist

Life Is A One Time Offer,
Use It Well.
Community Member
Answered

With respect to all, I have been on both sides of this enigma. The difference seems to be communication. If I cannot pay right away, I make a plea with the seller and allow them the peace of mind of knowing I haven't just vanished. I am always surprised how patient people usually are about money. I do have a buyer right now, however that is five days into no payment and has not responded to the email I sent on day three or today. I keep thinking today is Friday (maybe payday for them?) so I should hear something, but I don't want to upset anyone. I just want to remove the auction to make room for others. Exactly how long is a socially acceptable time to wait for an email? I realize mistakes happen, we change our minds sometimes, and things occur we have no control over. Maybe they can't communicate-computer troubles?? It just leaves you scratching your head wondering if you somehow offended someone. I tend to have all the patience in the world about money because I too have so little to play with. There isn't much I won't do for a buyer. However, like others, I get very frustrated when there is no communication. What to do???

buybuy42
Community Member
Answered

Not every buyer pays right away.

Not every buyer pays.

Resolution Center.

Community Member
Answered

The four days doesn't seem so bad when you consider that not everyone parks in their email like I do! But I have found it rare to not get paid within a day.

I'm waiting now on a BuyItNow, and that's just odd - I suspect the buyer has decided she doesn't want the items.

Community Member
Answered

Maybe they are looking at more of your things , and plan on help on shipping. Ask them nicely what they have in mind. I somtimes wait for things to get ready to sell, But I also feel some sellers arent streat and keep my bidding to myself. If you need the money, Ill cut you a loan. 

demonwolf72
Community Member
Answered
I have that problem. I'm new just started my business being a home mom just a few months ago need to get some sort of income. But this guy bided on 2 of my items and failed to pay for a week I got ahold of him and asked why isn't he up to pay he said his car broke... Unlikely story but given the benefit of the dout, I'm gunna wait a few more days to file for being unpaid I hate to have to do so but if I have to. I always pay right on the spot when I win a bid or a buy. It's sad many people don't it's like second nature to me or a kind of guilt eather way the job gets done
electra0078
Community Member
Answered

how long does it take for me to be paid for sales on ebay?