eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

FAQs for Updated Mark As Paid Feature

Hi everyone,

Very soon we're going to be announcing several changes to the way information is displayed after a listing closes. Included are some changes to the way the Mark as Paid functionality in My eBay works. I'm posting some FAQs about these changes below on behalf of the Product Team.

We'll also update the general My eBay FAQs tacked to the top of this board.

Have a good one!

Zigmund
Community Development

=================
Frequently Asked Questions

We have heard from members that the “Mark Paid” feature in My eBay can sometimes be confusing. It was originally intended just to help buyers and sellers keep track of their purchases and sales - they could select Mark Paid for an item in My eBay as a reminder that that part of the transaction had been completed. However, doing so did not affect what the other member saw in their My eBay (for example, the buyer marking an item as Paid did not cause it to display any differently in the seller’s My eBay).

Here are the issues we have heard and are trying to address:

• The “Mark Paid” terminology was confusing. As a result, we split it to “payment sent” and “payment received." More details on this below.
  • Status was not communicated between buyer and seller (many sellers want to be able to communicate to buyers if they have received payment, for example).

To address some of this confusion, we are now changing the functionality so that buyers and sellers can use this feature to update each other on the status of the transaction. For instance, if a buyer marks an item as “payment sent” in My eBay, the seller will automatically see the item status as “Pending” in their My eBay. More information about this change is provided below.

I know longer see an option to “mark as paid”. What happened to it?
To reduce some confusion the “mark as paid” terminology was causing, we have separated it into two components: “mark as payment sent” and “mark as payment received”. Sellers will see the option to “mark as payment received” and buyers will see the option to “mark as payment sent.”

The buyer can mark an item as “payment sent” as a note to themselves that they have already sent their payment. It will also automatically be marked as “payment sent” if the buyer pays through PayPal. When this happens, the seller will see the payment as Pending (more information on this is in another question below).

The seller can mark an item as “payment received” once they have received the buyer’s payment. This will automatically happen if the buyer completes a payment through PayPal. Once the status of an item is marked as “payment received”, either by the seller or automatically through PayPal, it will also automatically be changed in the buyer’s My eBay screens. The buyer will see their My eBay showing “payment sent” (if they have not already marked it this way manually).

How can a transaction get marked as “payment sent”?
There are three ways a transaction can get marked as “payment sent”:
  • The buyer manually marks the transaction as “payment sent”
  • The buyer initiates payment for this transaction through PayPal
  • The seller manually marks the transaction as “payment received”

How can a transaction get marked as “payment received”?
There are two ways a transaction can get marked as “payment received”:
  • The buyer completes payment for this transaction through PayPal
  • The seller manually marks the transaction as “payment received”

Can I unmark a transaction as “payment sent” or “payment received”?
The buyer can always mark or unmark a transaction as “payment sent.” A seller can also always mark or unmark a transaction as “payment received.” However, when a seller unmarks a transaction as “payment received” (because they have made a mistake, for example), it will also automatically unmark the transaction as “payment sent” for the buyer as well.

The buyer can of course always re-mark the item as “payment sent”, which starts the process over again (the seller will see the payment as Pending).

What happens when a transaction is marked as “payment sent”?
When a transaction is marked as “payment sent”, in the buyer’s My eBay (“Items I’ve Won” view) the $ icon will be filled in to indicate to the buyer that they have sent payment. In the seller’s My eBay (“Items I’ve Sold” view), the $ icon will be replaced with a “Pending” hourglass icon to indicate to the seller that payment should be on the way (this hourglass will be replaced with a filled in $ icon when the transaction is marked “payment received”).

What happens when a transaction is marked as “payment received”?
When a transaction is marked as “payment received”, the $ icon in My eBay > Sold (for the seller) will be filled in to indicate to the seller that payment has been received. The $ icon in My eBay > Won (for the buyer) will also appear filled in.

In the case of a pending eCheck via PayPal, what will the status show?
When PayPal payment is pending, the transaction will be marked as “payment sent” for the buyer but not as “payment received” for the seller. The transaction will only be marked as “payment received” once the eCheck payment clears with PayPal.

What if PayPal shows my payment was received but eBay does not?
If you find that the eBay system is not correctly reflecting a successful PayPal payment, you can manually mark the transaction as “payment sent” or “payment received.”

What happens if the buyer made payment through PayPal, and then I had to refund either part or all of the payment?
If the refund makes it so that the total paid amount is now below the item closing price, both the “payment sent” and “payment received” states will be reverted back automatically.

Do I have to mark items as “payment received”? What happens if I don’t?
There is no requirement for buyers or sellers to mark their transactions as “payment sent” or “payment received.” This functionality is simply meant to help members keep better track of their transactions and facilitate communication between the buyer and seller. It is up to individual members whether they want to use this new functionality.
Community Member

FAQs for Updated Mark As Paid Feature

in reply to zigmund@ebay.com
Hi everyone,

We're adding an extra FAQ below to address a situation some of you may have seen.

I am the winning buyer and have paid for a transaction with PayPal. eBay shows the payment status as paid, but I still see an action to “mark as payment sent”. Why isn’t this marked for me automatically when I pay with PayPal?

For all transactions that are paid for with PayPal after Thursday, March 24th, eBay will automatically mark these transactions as “payment sent” when the PayPal payment is received.

If your payment was completed before March 24th, you may still see the “mark as payment sent” option.

Marking these transactions as “payment sent” will not change the payment status, and will just remove this option from your list of actions.