eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Committed to buy, by mistake???

I have accidentally committed to buy a few items, how do i cancel it?

Other Answers: 31
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

Wow, responses here sure do assume guilt. For those of you ebay power buyers and sellers, there are 100 others that are first time customers or infrequent ebay buyers. Ebay's 'Buy it Now' transaction doesn't provide all information up front before "committing" like other e-commerce sites do (shipping option prices and dates).

If you are being charged fees by ebay for customers mistakes, take it out on ebay. You may want your customers to come back.

nc-daydreamer
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

Let's see now, so I can get this straight..... you "accidently" opened your eBay account, browsed items, selected them for purchase, hit the comittmit button, hit the confirm button .... on more than 1 item?

That is NOT an accident. You have cost your sellers fees, headaches and heartaches.  You can ask your sellers to cancel the transaction, but they are not obligated to do so.

You on the other hand are obligated to pay for each item you bought within 4 days of your contract to buy. You made a promise, you gave your word.

If you fail in this responsibility and the seller does not agree that it was by "accident" you did all of this, then they ALL can file a complaint against you. Just 2 complaints in a years time can get you suspended and sellers have the right to refuse to sell to you.  On top of that, you just made it on many sellers BBL.

If you really don't want them, then when you get the items then repost them for sale - then you can understand why this is such a big deal.

=====================================
Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

I know this is a late reply to your message, but I've been a member of Ebay since the late 90's and I just tonight did an accidental commit to buy because I had two auctions open with identical items looking at both to judge their quality. I committed to purchase the wrong one by total mistake and didn't realize it until after I did it. Fortunately, The item didn't cost that much. Human error is human error and even experienced users can make a mistake.

There isn't a way to get out of committing to buy, however.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

Hi, I rarely use eBay. I have "Committed to buy" on 4 items totalling 600+$. Yes these were accidents.

Last time I used eBay I do not even REMEMBER a "Commit to buy" button.

I was comparing shipping details for each item. I ONLY intended on buying "ONE" of those items. not all 4.

From my experience with online shopping (which I rarely do), the shipping details are usually given right BEFORE CHECKOUT. This is why I clicked on "Commit to buy."

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

I cannot comment about the States, but here in the UK we have the Distance Selling Regulations which states that by law you have 7 days to cancel or return the goods.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

I have a similar case.  I made no mistake - I hit "commit to buy". But for some reason Pay Pal would not accept my Visa, which is valid. I tried numerous times, then tried again the next day. Needing the item, I purchased it from another seller, using the same Visa card. 

I had to contact the first seller, explain the problem, and fortunately they agreed to cancel. They didn't have to agree of course, but how can I pay for something if my Visa isn't accepted?

I really don't understand "commit to buy". With all oter on line orders, you aren't "commited" till your Visa is charged?

M.

mrsmtn
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

"Accidentally committed???"  Sorry, but that's no accident.  You cannot cancel, but you can contact the seller(s) about the problem. The may or may not help -- but don't use the "accidentally" story. Sellers are not stupid.

dnhryder
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny
The phone app isn't the sane as a computer. It's easy to buy without intending to.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

They need to get rid of the commit to buy button. I made my 1st time purchase on Ebay yesterday and I was looking at 2 items. I decided to buy one of them but I didnt realize the other one was in my cart until I hit the commit to buy on the item i decided to purchase. So it commited me to buy both items, I've contacted the seller and let him know the situation. Hopefully he wont escalate the case because it was a honest mistake.

rosie0331
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

You did not "accidentally" commi to buy a few items.

eBay asks you to click through two pages - even asking you if you are sure you want to commit to the purchase.

Please read these rules for buyers carefully.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buyer-rules-overview.html

Photobucket

Woof! Woof!
techmology
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

Hi - I somehow committed to buy on accident so I can tell you that it happens.  Maybe hitting enter on the commit to buy screen makes you do this.  I dont know but I navigated away and received a pay for my item email a few seconds later.

Seems messed up to me -- The item is only $37 dollars luckily.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

I ended up buying 2 items by but only want 1.  I paid for 1 in pay pal.  Can I cancell the other one?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny
I did the same thing because I commuted to buying it and accedently clicked the back button on my phone and I thought it deleted it so I commuted to buying it again then bought it now I'm stuck with buying it twice so yes all you people saying you can't accedently commit you can
cyclojim
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny
Whether the buyer thinks they should get the opportunity to retract their purchase or not is irrelevant. I sell and normally don't offer a return opportunity because I expect buyers to READ my item descriptions or ask questions. There have been 2 buyers in the last week who take all the steps to make a purchase, then say "It was too early in the.morning" or "I didn't purchase, please return to your shelves". When I purchase from an ebay seller, I only buy if I've fully researched an item and THEN make the purchase. There needs to be stronger penalties for buyers who waste sellers time.
musicforthesouls
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

If, when you go to bid or 'Buy It Now', it just went POP! Done! Then I'd see your point.  But, it doesn't.  It ALWAYS asks "Comit to buy' before going on, giving you a chance to think twice.  The system gives buyers evey opportunity to think and then decide.  My most often buyer mistake is NOT READING THE LISTING ALL THE WAY.  I beg everyone to "Take your time" and some do, others don't.  If the seler doesn't go far enough in discribing, then you can 'ask seller a question' BEFORE bidding, or move on.  Get out your ruler, or whatever it takes to make an informed decision. It's easy!

Why does everyone want to blame the sellers for their their own boo-boos?  If you're new, then wait until you're ready!  This isn't a game here, folks.  We are trying desperately to get through this depression that we were all forced into, and some are handicapped, have children, or any number of factors and we enter ebay to be the perfect seller only to find ourselves at the mercy of everyone and everything on ebay.     

My deep thanks to all the ebayers who are good and focused.  Most here really are good ebayers and that's what keeps me happy and stay in the Game!

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

It is possible. Just happened to me. My notebook was not working properly (problem with touchpad driver). Instead of one click (enter) he make two click and somehow I commit to by an item I was just looking. :-/

masano-kun
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

This has just happened to me, and in an effort to search for a remedy I found this thread.

To be very honest, I don't see too much the seller can do in a scenario where the buyer simply refuses to pay due to a misclick.  But to avoid complications I paid for the object in full, praying that it will be worth the amount when it reaches the hands of a friend.

I am rather new to eBay, but this system that practically coerces you into paying simply for clicking a button is absurd, not to mention that just over a week ago this system was nowhere to be found.  Whatever eBay's intentions are, I believe I've made my final purchase on this site.

The only place I can understand a system such as this one being fair is in the scenario of a custom made item.  However, most of these sellers are simply taking it out of their own stock, to lock someone into purchasing something they did not fully consider comes across to me as extremely sketchy.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny
So ebay gave the total for item with free shipping and asked to commit to seller. I did so and after committing the shipping changed to 36.00. This needs to show up in the total BEFORE committing!
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

i guess some people judging other people without even reading their comments . Dude they are saying it happened accidently, and beside what they say, they are sincerely looking for a way to make up their mistake even some of them bought the item although they didnt want it .  so now if u know a better way rather then conectting the seller please tell them otherwsie stop bull**bleep**ting or judging people .. u americans better "accept yes as an answer"  !!

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

There is something I can do,

My kid pressed commit by mistake in order to see the shipping rate. 

I agree with all beginners here that its a fraud of eBay. 

The seller is writing "no money back" and "no return" and

Write shipping free....

But after you press commit the shipment became 52usd.

So I sent hum a request to cancel,  and if he will not do it,

I will report him as a fraud,  and rate him as a thief.

Anyway Im not going to pay on it.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

I hit commit to buy being a first time buyer didn't know it would tell me I had to pay. I was looking for more info and it didn't ask me to confirm anything so ppl talking **bleep**.. Some of us are new to this!! It does happen!! 

alex.ny wrote:

I have accidentally committed to buy a few items, how do i cancel it?

everything-from-trinkets-to-treasures
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

No sorry that excuse isn't going to work.

You not only made the bids or purchases but you confirmed each one individually.

When you bid or purchase you entered into a contractual agreement to pay.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

I found the best way for this problem. I paid for the mistake by clicking commit without knowldg. I though pay now is the final button before i pay.

Best solution is

Uninstall ebay app.

Man can make mistake only onces. Business is forever to survive themself.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

i order item by mistake ,i am new on e bay how can i cancel the order

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

I just did this, my first time.  I had two items up that are almost identical and hit the commit to buy for the wrong one and didn't realize until *after* I paid.  I feel so bad and am sick about it.  I immediately sent a request to the seller to cancel the transaction.  I hope they agree.  If the seller doesn't agree and continues with the order, obviously there is nothing I can do, and I will just have to return the item as soon as I get it which only prolongs the process unfortunately.  I hope it doesn't come to that though.  I realize this is difficult for the seller, truly, but this was an honest mistake and I have never done it before.  :smileysad:

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny
I want that committed to buy option off of EBay or I won't shop here any longer. If I push the option BUY NOW then there should not even be the option of commit. I don't do auction. Only purchase. If a person does this more than once it wasn't an accident but one time IS AN ACCIDENT
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

For all saying you can't accidently click on 'commit to buy', I just did. My computer froze on the page and when it started working again it said 'You've committed to buy this item. Please continue to checkout.' I was intending on buying the product, but was not yet certain. So it can happen accidently.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny

I committed to buy by mistake, I already purchased the item,and when I accidently clicked commit to buy twice and I want to cancel those commits because I already bought one of thier items.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny
I guess I accidentally committed to buy something but I never remeber seeing that button I just hit buy now then I saw that the product could be shipped out to me so I hit back and continued shopping and now saying I have to pay for this item I contacted the seller and he said that it says that I bought the item...how can I have bought an item that I didn't pay for
Community Member
Answered
in reply to alex.ny
This is not an order to manufacture: it's items in stock. Moreover, to a consumer, committing is when you pay- hand over the money. That's common sense. Let me give you an example for you people who cannot understand a customers mind: you think the thing is just what you need and will work, relying on scanty information. You have limited time You press a button or two, without comitting payment, then realise one question is ununswered; of course a live salesperson would have been involved with a dialogue and anticipate what you need to know. This didn't happen. You realise, my gosh, this tap may not work for a pressurised system! Perhaps taps Re made with pressure sensors that do not stop the flow if pressurised water, and this us one?! So you stop and put that question to the seller, who happens to know little themselves about their iriduct, because they never were a plumber etc. anyway, you get it confirmed, one way I'd another and do not wish to proceed. What would YOU like to do, MAKE the take it? Then don't bother turning up for jury service, or try to teach your children anything.