Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Adverstitial "Sponsor" Redirect is Back

Adverstitial "Sponsor" Redirect is Back

g4designs
Adventurer

I was in my account settings and got redirected to:

sponsor.adverstitial.com/view/advertisement?loc=4375&adv=3388233&camp=782200&w=728&h=90&rnd=4546141644680584945

According to a few other posts, this is a server-side issue and not due to a local infection.

Anyone else getting this popup?

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES

Re: Adverstitial "Sponsor" Redirect is Back

in reply to Mar 26, 2015 1:48:02 PM
mistwomandancing
Rockstar

Not me.  Sorry you are.

Message 2 of 46

in reply to Mar 26, 2015 4:13:14 PM
redbud_farm
Rockstar
Nope, I use popup blockers
age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 3 of 46

in reply to Mar 28, 2015 4:48:35 PM
craig8230
Explorer

Yup.  I got one today while trying to get into a listing for something I thinking of buying.  It has happened before but only started recently.  Very intermittent and no particular events that I've seem to trigger it.  From what I've read recently it does appear to be on the server side and MAY be related to to a product called "Sitemeter" although that information seems dated.  Little annoying as the first reaction is to dump the session ASAP before something infects your machine.  Wonder if eBay is using that product to monitor traffic on their site.

Message 4 of 46

in reply to Apr 21, 2015 4:21:48 AM
outrspacebmw2
Enthusiast

You're not alone, I've been getting these redirects on various pages when browsing the Ebay sites (listings, My Ebay, Shipment Tracking, etc.). My research points to SiteMeter, a page counter that logs visits. This is very disturbing and completely unprofessional in my opinion. Ebay needs to look into this and lock it down. If this was happening to my website I'd be **bleep**... nothing should unknowingly redirect a user when using your webpage. This gives an unsafe impression about Ebay... if they can't control what happens on their site, how can they control what happens with my personal information?

Message 5 of 46

in reply to May 14, 2015 10:36:27 AM

I've been having this issue intermittently for quite a while (more than a few months). It doesn't seem to matter where I'm coming from or going to -- clicking on an auction, viewing my profile, doing a search, etc...

Message 6 of 46
adverstitial.PNG

in reply to May 14, 2015 11:53:36 AM
gramophone-georg
Rockstar

eBay is claiming that everybody seeing these has picked up malware (somewhere other than on eBay, natch!) in spite of the fact that:

1. The "malware" only seems to affect eBay, and

2. The "opt out" feature actually works after the second or third attempt.

Has anyone ever encountered "malware" that only affects one site and lets you opt out? 

eBay... where yesterday's 'glitch' is today's 'policy'- and today's 'glitch' is tomorrow's.
Message 7 of 46

in reply to May 14, 2015 12:01:26 PM
!_scott
Adventurer
Last Edited 12:02:23 PM

I'd never click on Opt out in a spam message like that.  It elevates you to "golden" on their lists.  It's in a browser, how could you possibly opt out without adding info they didn't have before but would get subsequently.

eBay is wrong.  I'm a 30 year IT veteran, fluent and advanced in computer security, including PC's.  This is driven by one of their pop up advertisers IMO.  It happens too quick to see which one kicked it off.  It never happens to me except on eBay.  Ever.

Message 8 of 46

in reply to May 14, 2015 12:04:59 PM
redbud_farm
Rockstar
Never had it happen as yet.
age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 9 of 46

in reply to May 14, 2015 12:22:20 PM
gramophone-georg
Rockstar

!_scott wrote:

I'd never click on Opt out in a spam message like that.  It elevates you to "golden" on their lists.  It's in a browser, how could you possibly opt out without adding info they didn't have before but would get subsequently.

eBay is wrong.  I'm a 30 year IT veteran, fluent and advanced in computer security, including PC's.  This is driven by one of their pop up advertisers IMO.  It happens too quick to see which one kicked it off.  It never happens to me except on eBay.  Ever.

But the funny thing is- it didn't. I haven't been bothered by any of these since, and it's been a couple months. nothing ever came up in c-cleaner, AVG, or Malwarebytes, either.

My wife got it a couple weeks ago on eBay- different account, different computer, different browser. She was finally able to get "opt out" to opt her out also- with the same results.

eBay... where yesterday's 'glitch' is today's 'policy'- and today's 'glitch' is tomorrow's.
Message 10 of 46

in reply to May 14, 2015 1:28:08 PM
n.s.sherlock
Rockstar

gramophone-georg wrote:

eBay is claiming that everybody seeing these has picked up malware (somewhere other than on eBay, natch!) in spite of the fact that:

1. The "malware" only seems to affect eBay, and

2. The "opt out" feature actually works after the second or third attempt.

Has anyone ever encountered "malware" that only affects one site and lets you opt out? 

If you do a Google search for ADVERSTITAL, you will see that eBay is NOT the only site affected.  It seems to be somewhat widespread.  In my quick review, I saw no posted fast solutions that were acknowledged to work.

Message 11 of 46

in reply to May 15, 2015 2:46:09 AM
kattinsanity
Rockstar

I had the pop ups so bad on ebay just last week.  The previous month I had them as well.  I have my internet through my little telephone co-op and the previous month I got a big box on my screen saying that if I'm a ----- customer I needed to call a phone number.  I did.  They said my computer had been hacked and they cleaned all the bad stuff out but told me I needed to purchase a firewall for $179.00.  I didn't have an extra $179.00.

Last week it happened all over again and I got the same message to call that number.  I did.  Same story.  Again I didn't have the $179.00 so they offered me the senior citizen discount of $99.00.  I took it.  It took them about an hour working on my computer and my protection is good for a year.  Haven't had a problem since.

I only had the problem on ebay.  Chances are you were hacked the same as I was.

Message 12 of 46

in reply to May 15, 2015 4:51:01 AM
n.s.sherlock
Rockstar
Last Edited 04:51:46 AM

kattinsanity wrote:

I had the pop ups so bad on ebay just last week.  The previous month I had them as well.  I have my internet through my little telephone co-op and the previous month I got a big box on my screen saying that if I'm a ----- customer I needed to call a phone number.  I did.  They said my computer had been hacked and they cleaned all the bad stuff out but told me I needed to purchase a firewall for $179.00.  I didn't have an extra $179.00.

Last week it happened all over again and I got the same message to call that number.  I did.  Same story.  Again I didn't have the $179.00 so they offered me the senior citizen discount of $99.00.  I took it.  It took them about an hour working on my computer and my protection is good for a year.  Haven't had a problem since.

You may have been hacked by the company at the phone number to get $179 (or the "discount" $99).

Message 13 of 46

in reply to May 15, 2015 5:45:57 AM
triyarn
Rockstar

You got taken. You can get a good firewall for much cheaper than 99 bucks. My computer came with a firewall and even some of the free ones are pretty good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always take a banana to a party, bananas are good! - Ten
Message 14 of 46

in reply to May 15, 2015 5:59:50 AM
kattinsanity
Rockstar

After spending days without even being able to list or search I was willing to pay anything.   I'm very computer "stupid" and I'd rather pay someone than screw things up worse than they already were.  Maybe I got taken but I'm happy with the outcome and that's all that matters to me.

Message 15 of 46

in reply to May 17, 2015 1:56:24 PM
saintpaulgolf
Adventurer

This "gogardenclub.com" or whatever it is redirect is concerning to me. Is eBay GOING TO DEAL WITH THEIR SITE HAVING THESE ISSUES? 

Are we vulnerable? 

Message 16 of 46

in reply to May 17, 2015 2:02:38 PM
irous68
Enthusiast

n.s.sherlock wrote:

kattinsanity wrote:

You may have been hacked by the company at the phone number to get $179 (or the "discount" $99).

My MIL fell for thus same scam. A few weeks later her bank, paypal and one credit card were hacked. The "fix" for her initial virus contained a keylogger.

These folks prey on seniors a lot.

Message 17 of 46

in reply to May 20, 2015 3:09:37 PM
howlingmacy
Adventurer

I am having the same problem. I started getting rerouted to the gogardenclub.com about a week ago. I called ebay customer service ande they don't have a clue as to what is going on. I saw your post about you getting redirected also to gogardenclub.com and now i see i'm not alone. I have run my anti virus program and malwarebytes and neither is detecting anything.

Message 18 of 46

in reply to May 20, 2015 4:06:50 PM
howlingmacy
Adventurer

Apparently it has something to do with Sitemeter. I did some searching on this redirect to gogardenclub.com and I found this: "On May 13, 2015, the web counter code I have been using for years has went bad. SiteMeter had been a reliable accurate counter for years, but they were bought out by the same company that bought MySpace and they changed their code to become advertising intensive. People who tried to read my webpages were haplessly redirected to GoGarden.com, EducationGarden.com, and some other spam websites. Search on Google.com for "gogardenclub+sitemeter" and "redirect+gogardenclub" to find online discussions where people tracked the redirects to the SiteMeter code. Until I could track the problem down to SiteMeter, it was a very frustrating couple of days of virus checking. I will remove all SiteMeter code from my webpages ASAP. "  from this site here at the bottom: http://andyhifi.50webs.com/

Some other sites were saying the same thing about the problem being with Sitemeter doing the redirecting. It must be a problem with it on ebay because right now ebay is the only site I am having problems with.

Message 19 of 46

in reply to May 20, 2015 7:28:01 PM
mistwomandancing
Rockstar

Interesting to read about this.. I'm not have this problem at all and haven't ever.  Well be keeping a close eye out for it though.  Thanks for the discussion.

Message 20 of 46