cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

itchy helmet head

Enthusiast

itchy helmet head

My wife loves to ride with me but she cannot stand to wear a helmet because it makes her head itch. I'm not talking an occasional little itch, I'm talking constant "shake the whole bike while she scratches her head" itch. I thought I had a tire going down the first time we went on a long trip with her helmet on. We've tried different helmets and wearing a do-rag under the helmet but it doesn't help. Anyone have any suggestions other than leaving her at home alone with 2 teenage daughters?(I think she'd choose the head itch over that.)
8 REPLIES
Thrill-Seeker

Re: itchy helmet head

in reply to
I am assuming that she has no medical skin/scalp conditions that would cause this.
Have her try switching shampoo and or conditioner, I have used some that leave residue, that when mixed with sweat, cause almost immediate discomfort. Also it may help if she washes her hair just prior to going for a ride.
Is her helmet new? some liners deteriorate after awhile and decompose into a grit, and I guarantee it itches. beat on the inside of the lid any dust?...if so replace it.
Trailblazer

in reply to
Several years ago my wife and I received a pair of Head Silks. They were a silk lined cap that fit under our 3/4 helmets. My wife loved them, put it on, slip the helmet on and ride all day with little discomfort. I am sure you can still find them out there.
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to
Dear DrSpringer,
Sometimes I get itchy helmet head when my braids are too tight. If MrsSpringer is pulling her hair back into a braid or pony tail and it is too tight this could contribute to the itchy helmet head.
Good luck to you both.
Adventurer

in reply to
Benedryl and Budweiser should cure it. Seriously, try a helmet which has air vents. Some folks start itching if they start sweating and helmets usually fit tight enough you don't get any ventilation through your hair.

in reply to
LOL! I have a Shoei RJAir. The initials must stand for "Ram Jet!" Riding one day without a windshield, I had a completely new hairstyle when I took off the helmet!
Enthusiast

in reply to
There is a solution made especially for helmet scalp itch called Menthogen available from [url http://eBay.co.uk]eBay.co.uk.[/url]

Menthogen is an anti-pruritic; a fast acting spray that stops the itch. It works very well and they is also a shampoo called M-GEN. There is more product information at [url http://www.menthogen.co.uk]www.menthogen.co.uk[/url]
Thrill-Seeker

in reply to

she got the bugs,dude

MY SIGNATURE:

you asked for it, you got it !!
a pathologically lying, criminally racist potus :-(

Enthusiast

in reply to

Try a helmet liner, there are many out there. Once you use one one you'll never wear a helmet without one.