eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Dyna or Softail - comparisons?

Dyna is often lower to ground, rubber mounted engine, conventional swingarm, more upright riding posture, correct?

Softail - Solid engine mount and more laid-back riding posture but other than that I have no idea what else the softail contributes to handling/ride.

Any personal opinions about both or either chassis design? Dyns is kinda like old FL chassis but with sportser forks, yes?

TIA
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
Jo"Dyna is often lower to ground, rubber mounted engine, conventional swingarm, more upright riding posture, correct?"

No,dyna is not lower to the ground, the softail is.
Everything else you stated is correct.

Jo "Softail - Solid engine mount and more laid-back riding posture but other than that I have no idea what else the softail contributes to handling/ride."

I have a softail. It rides great and handles very well for what it is. I love the looks of this bike and it sits much lower than a dyna. It was a good fit for me because I have short legs.

In comparison the dyna chasis is superior in all aspects including price. It is a better value....the softail(fatboy) won me over because of its retro looks and lower to the ground seating....different strokes for different folks. They are both very well designed bikes.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
Good points on the chassis, if that's all you are looking at Jo, if you are still planning on building your own and starting with just a chassis. On the Harley bikes themselves, you've both missed a big point, and that is the difference in engines: the Dyna has the conventional TC engine, the softails have the balanced "TCB" engines.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
Yes, thank you both - exactly what I'm interested in learning. I guess my "lower" confusion stems from shorter riders mentioning it's often easier to use shorter shocks on a Dyna compared to lowering a softail? Might be urban myth...

Counterbalanced engines for the softail, yes I did read that someplace? It seems many frames are offered and I recently found a nice looking albeit expensive frame that perked interest on the Arlen Ness website. The complete kit bike thing seems to be fading and suppliers simply offering components to design and build your own ride instead of assembly/paint a bunch of boxed parts.

S&S X-wedge motor might be a few years out of reach but there's some mighty nice aftermarket evo motors available in many states of tune. I sure like that X-wedge on paper though...

At 6'2" I'm figuring a stretched frame might be nice? But, longer wheelbase will likely slow down steering unless compensated with rake/trail, correct? I really like to kick-back and cruise but I don't like anything too bulky and slow steering around town.

A good used creampuff ElectraGlide, Dyna or Softail might be just fine and actually cost less but I've built a couple and compared to those projects many years ago, the choice of parts/supplies is very tempting to see what I could come up with today?

Thanks again
Please use plain text.
wydeglyde
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
Joe, I like my dyna because of better clearance and handling than the softails. You are somewhat restricted in the aftermarket parts compared to softails, but I have found plenty to spruce mine up.

The narrow & mid-glide forks are stiffer than the wideglide forks, so I added progressive springs in the forks and a fork brace for even better handling.

I also upgraded to a heavy duty shock to help lug my fat azz around :-)

With the addition of extensions on the forward controls my legs (32" inseam) are just comfy. It was a little crowded before. If you are leggy Joe you will likely have to do similar.

I've seen some pretty great deals on Dyna's, new and used. Here's my latest pics.

Please use plain text.
wydeglyde
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
Darn, wrong tags, here they are:

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
I find the softtail uncomfortable at higher speeds (over 60).
I know many (those who own softies) may disagree but this is my take.

For a lot of hiway and higher speeds rubber mount.
Round town softie.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
Sweet pics! Ive always liked the Dyna - looks...

Peace
Please use plain text.
mainedrummer
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
Nice lookin' bike wydeglyde - those items on the end of the front axle look lethal. Reminds me of the Chariot races in Ben Hur.
Please use plain text.
wydeglyde
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
Yep, they look pretty scary, but they have been dulled down a bit. They were razor sharp.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
I'm 5'3" (female) and I LOVE my Softail Deluxe. It's easy for me to sit on it with both feet flat on the ground (when I'm wearing my Harley riding boots with chunky heel, that is! ;-)) And the ride is comfortable at any speed--including 75mph on the interstate. I also dig that it's fuel-injected--no more pumping the throttle or pulling out the choke to start my bike.

I really love the stripped-down look of the Deluxe--no saddlebags, though I had to add the passenger seat and backrest.

And even though it's a great bike for me, my 6'-tall hubby is just as comfortable (and looks great!) on it!! :-D
$

Walking in Honor & In Memory...
Of those we love, and those we've lost.

http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=1672138&pg=personal&fr_id=1282
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
Jo, you are the only one that knows exactly what you. It seems that you have not completely made up your mind.
If I was in the market for a Harley right now I would take a serious look at the new stock 2007 Dyna. (bare bones superglide) For around thirteen thousand dollars you get a 96 inch fuel injected twin cam engine and six speed tranny with a two year warranty. The 96 inch motor has the old screaming eagle 103 lower end and the old 88 inch top end. If you bore out the top end to 95 you will have a 103 engine. Add cams and rework the heads and you will have a very reliable high horse power bike!

I think these bikes are a bargain! Their potential is great! It also gives you time to ride the bike and make changes as you go along! Good luck! Let us know what you decide!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
That first sentence is supposed to read." Jo, you are the only one that knows exactly what you want."
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
While traveling out west last week I heard radio ads from mutiple area HD dealers holding sales on 07 models for $1000 off MSRP...on big twins...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
Thanks everyone and happy new year to y'all...

I don't know what I want yet but the reason I'm asking is to start gathering real world input from experienced folks. The final step will be to rent a couple different bikes to help verify that I enjoy what I think I will enjoy.

That's a great tip about the 07 Dyna Superglide and if more incentives are actually making their way to buyers, even better! Kinda starts to make the kit bike seem a little too complicated and pricey?

The wife wants a cushy tour rig setup in the back - I'm okay with that but some convertible option would be nice since majority of my riding is solo. With my old FL and solo saddle, I had a cool passenger seat that quickly clamped on the luggage rack directly over the rear wheel. Not exactly cushy tour setup but passengers never complained much.

Loved that old plunger tractor pan saddle though! Does the factory even offer a plunger system anymore? Maybe on the FL classics? Would I even want one anymore?

Y'all have a great new year and enjoy the ride whenever you can!

joe
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
Joe, if your wife wants comfort, and you want something a little sporty, check out the Street Glide. I test drove one with a stage one kit and flow through Screamin' Eagles (still epa approved). What a little hot rod that was! Seat would be easily changed from solo to dual, as there is no top case to get in the way. They are several thousand less then the electra-glydes, as there are no lowers, top case, rear speakers, etc.
Please use plain text.
wydeglyde
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
Take a look at an Electra Glide Standard as well, almost as sleek as the Street Glide, but less $$.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
i have found many aftermarket frames but very few of these if any will accept the tc88 motor.Most of what i did find are for the tcb motor although with some special trans adapter i was told it could work.? who knows? AH crap! maybe i should just buy a new 96 inch and get the warranty.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
My advice find a good used low mileage FXR, they sat low and were the best handling big twins ever built. An added bonus is if you take care of an EVO motor it should run for a 75,000 to 100,000 miles with minimum maintenance. That isn't going to happen with the new improved twin cam, you should be checking the cam adjuster shoes at 30,000 miles and then you may as well put in an S&S gear drive with cams and head work. I think they did make some changes to the cam drive and shoes for 2007, but to get 96 inches the motor was stroked that equals higher piston speed and more heat from what I have read. These engines also run very hot in traffic, so if you live with stop and go traffic better change the oil often and use sythetic.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to joguitar
I jusy sold my dyna for the new 2006 softail FXSTI it rules over a dyna and is real cool they put the 200mm fat tire on the new softails and raked them more. very nice bike, softails rules!! BUY A SOFTAIL!!
Please use plain text.