eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Car Tire on the back of a Harley?

I walked out of a retaurant the other day and, as usual, cast an eyeball on the bikes parked out front. There was a Fat Boy with what I believe to be a car tire on the rear wheel. I say that because it had the typical "square corner" profile of a car tire rather than the rounded profile I associate with bike tires. Is that likely? Wouldn't it foul up your handling, havig those "corners" on the outside edges of the tire?
Inqiring minds want to know!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jmorgan_sales
My sister tried to have our mechanic mount a car tire on her VTX. Despite her protestations, she got the correct ass chewing and firm refusal to undertake such a folly.

A trick like that'll kill you; bad idea...
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Anything is possible in the custom bike world. You are correct, it will foul up the handling. That guy isn't concerned about handling as he probably only rides places where he can get noticed. Some fun HUH?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

latest 2 wheeled batmobile uses car tires and the word off set is that only one guy could ride it without ending up underneath it.
Please use plain text.
fairjoeblue
Community Member

"latest 2 wheeled batmobile uses car tires and the word off set is that only one guy could ride it without ending up underneath it."

BATCYCLE ! Photobucket

"Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Just plain Stupid
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Whether you or I think it stupid or not, many riders of large bikes are running car tires on the rear. I don't have the url handy, but there is a whole web site devoted to this, with tires used, sizes, ect. Pirelli radial is one tire used by Gold Wing Riders with excellent results and high miliege obtained at a lot lower cost. They don't seem to have any problems with steering or handling. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

The Boss Hoss comes from the factory, I believe, with a rear car tire.

If I can
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Here's the link:

http://www.cartiresonmotorcycles.com/
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Here is a link to an article on the Boss Hoss, which utilizes car tires

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/boss_hoss_v8/index.html
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I just replaced the tires on my Ultra. Both front and rear were shot in the center of the tire, but both tires still had rubber nibs and lots of tread on the outer edges. As one of the articles points out, motorcycles don't really use the sides of the rounded tread as much as we think they do, so utilized a car tire does not make that much difference in handling. What is important is sizing it to the rim.

And no, I've never done it, but I've kept an open mind about it every time I spend $150 bucks for a new rear tire that barely lasts 10,000 miles.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Here's a video of a car tire on the back of a motorcycle. Note that it acts much like a cycle tire, with only a portion of the tread actually touching the road, and not riding up on the sidewall on corners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAHlbSzwjsg&feature=related
Please use plain text.
Community Member

http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

Incidently, one of the PGR members in my sector is running a car tire on the front wheel, on his Gold Wing trike (which also has car tires on the back, as do most trikes.)
Please use plain text.
diesel_parts
Community Member

Car tires om motorcycles is not new. I ran a 600X16 knobbie tire on my 39 Indian chief. It was designed for pickups but worked good except on wet pavement. When I broke it loose on pavement it sounded like a bunch of baying hounds. That was a fun ride.

billphil
billphil.

I sell parts
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Well, you learn something every day! Apparently it can work and apparently it does work, if you pay attention to the different handling characteristics. I'd think the narrower profiles (R75) with a more rounded shape would still be the better choice. The cost & wear factors are attractive!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Stupid is as stupid does.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Now that the '09 Harley tour bikes have a much larger rear wheel and tire, I predict that you'll see this happening on Harleys as it has been on the large Hondas.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Come on Tri, the Boss Hoss uses a car tire? Never rode one, but I'll just bet they are the hot setup for twisties. No one in their right mind is going to ride that machine hard into a corner,so why not use a car tire.
Most of us don't wear out the rounded parts of a motorcycle tire, because most of us don't ride like K.R. or any other roadracer. I sure take comfort in knowing that the piece of rubber between me and the asphalt was engineered with a motorcycle in mind.
Keep your car tires, your bright white sneakers, and your five dollar cigars. I'll ride with Avons, Metzlers or Conti's.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Very interesting debate.

As for the trike I really cannot see why you couldnt run a car tyre at the front.

But for me personally I`ll stick with bike tyres on my bike.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

LOL, I smoke Little Swishers, but only when they are on sale two packs for one...:^O

And I use Dunlops....
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Came across this video just now, featuring Eddie Paul ! I learned how to paint bikes reading his articles in the '70's in Custom Chopper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd5BDPB48zM
Please use plain text.