eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member

1970's harley fx

cn anybody tell me what year harley moved the shift and brake levers to the other sides? how many did they produce that way?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

1970's harley fx

in reply to iroquoisinn
U meen right ..right..?

Ur other right is the one thats left..
Please use plain text.
Community Member

1970's harley fx

in reply to iroquoisinn
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all Sportsters shifted on the right, copying the British bikes that they competed against, until 1976, when shifting/braking was standardized in the U.S. The reason for right side shifting was due to the flat track racing, which always ran counterclockwise, making it more suitable to have the shifting down on the 'high side' of the bike as it went around the oval, with the left leg dragging the corners. The '76 Sportsters and '76 Triumphs are not the most desirable bikes to have, as their shift linkage was mickey-moused together to make the change needed without redoing their trannys.

The other Harleys, to the best of my knowlege, shifted on left. Some Indians had their hand shifts on the right.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

1970's harley fx

in reply to iroquoisinn
It was actually '75 for the XLCH (sporty) moving shift to left. I wouldn't call it mickey mouse and never had any trouble from it on my '75. I think it was the brake cable that was kinda chessy if memory serves???
Please use plain text.
Community Member

1970's harley fx

in reply to iroquoisinn
You got it right 1975. My 1975 Commando was made to the standardised format as were most all MCs.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

1970's harley fx

in reply to iroquoisinn
I was in a neighbor's basement a few years ago and there sat a dust covered 73(or therabouts) Sporster with under 4500 miles on the clock. I asked him why didn't he get it out and ride it. "Oh, I don't know, maybe someday." Across the road on his land sits a 56 Ford F100, a 56 Chevy and an old Studebaker 4 door. They are rusting away too.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

1970's harley fx

in reply to iroquoisinn
Yep, I was off by a year, as my two Tridents are both mis-registered by one year. My T150 shifts on the right, and the T160 shifts on the left. They are registered as a '75 and '76, but year of production was '74 and '75.
Please use plain text.