eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
Why does it take so long to get paid from PayPal?

I've been selling on eBay for about four months, and have all 100% feedback so far. And yet, it still takes a good 10 days to receive funds, AFTER the item has been received!

It's ludicrous: The item was received, the delighted buyer posts glowing feedback...and I'm still waiting to get paid!

I ALWAYS purchase postage with tracking from PayPal or Ebay...and it seems to make no difference.

If I call PayPal, ask for a supervisor from the United States, he or she will usually manually release the funds. But I shouldn't have to go through this! Other eBay sellers whom I know get paid as soon as their item is received. And I have never had a complaint filed against me. All good feedback.

Why am I STILL waiting so long for funds to be available?

Accepted Solutions: 3
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pan_pacifica

Yes, but no one has answered the actual question...."why does it take so long  to get paid from PayPal?"  The seller has delivery confirmation and good feedback left....money is still not being released in a timely manner.  Why should I have to call PayPal and have it released?  I'm paying seller fees for them to do their job, not for me to remind them how to do it.

You know, I'm actually willing to WORK with the hold (since I have no choice) but why is PayPal not giving anyone any solid benchmarks to ACHIEVE a "no holds" account?  In my PayPal account, I was given goals of $150 in sales, 5 transactions, and 60 days after my first sale.  I'm now over $1000, 50 transactions, and 120 days after my first sale.  Now I need my identity confirmed, apparently.  I have a bank account AND a CC attached to my PP account.  Phone verification never works.  WTF?  What next, now I need 100 feedback score to have my account not limited?  What about after that?  Are they going to demand a 1000 feedback score?

I think we're out of luck, though, as this has been going on for 5 years now, with no end in sight and our glorious judicial system/government has obviously decided all of this is OK to do.  Face it, unless you're listing 1000 items a month eBay could give a cr*p about you and your account.  Maybe things would change if they would limit all the China-mart junk.  You mean to tell me those China sellers don't have multiple accounts?  That used to be a no-no...oops, but wait, eBay gets a cut.  It's perfectly OK now.

I really wish eBay/PayPal would suffer a long, slow demise and I will maintain hope, after all, it wouldn't be the first time the lid was removed from the trash can that is PayPal and something was found stinking.

nuitsfumato
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pan_pacifica

Yeah, it's BS is what it is.

I'm just an occasional seller going back 10 years or so.

I'm not going to bother selling anymore to make $10. The shipping costs $12 and I have to wait three weeks to get paid back from my own sale.

They're holding the money so they make interest in the bank or some such crock. Bottom line, Ebay has your money for a few weeks, they do what they want with it.

pan_pacifica
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pan_pacifica

Oh my goodness! I really don't need any more of these 'answers' that aren't helpful. I am sure you mean well, but you haven't read my post. You're just skimming.

Hello, Glenda, I ALWAYS use delivery confirmation tracking, as stated in my post.

And for the other 'answer' from the person with an undecipherable name... um, I already have 100% feedback. That's not something I need to aim for, I have it already. As of this writing, I have more than YOU.

So, thank you, but it's really not helpful to me to get answers like these. I'll follow through with PayPal.

Other Answers: 11
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pan_pacifica

I know this is an old post, but I had to respond.

The person with the undecipherable name (kraloe, by the way) telling you that you need a feedback score of 100, is correct.

That does NOT mean your feedback percentage.  It's that number next to your star (currently 21).  THAT has to be 100 or better.  It's called a feedback score.

Please read (don't skim) next time before spouting off your rudeness.

Oh, and here is a link that explains what a feedback score is, since you obviously didn't read it.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/scores-reputation.html

With that said, I don't agree with the policy either.  But for you to ask a question on here, then be rude to people who try and answer you (correctly, I might add), is just wrong.

pan_pacifica wrote:

Oh my goodness! I really don't need any more of these 'answers' that aren't helpful. I am sure you mean well, but you haven't read my post. You're just skimming.

Hello, Glenda, I ALWAYS use delivery confirmation tracking, as stated in my post.

And for the other 'answer' from the person with an undecipherable name... um, I already have 100% feedback. That's not something I need to aim for, I have it already. As of this writing, I have more than YOU.

So, thank you, but it's really not helpful to me to get answers like these. I'll follow through with PayPal.

d_allens
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pan_pacifica

Yeah I am a returning ebay person and have not sold anything in a while and I noticed now they hold your money, which I do not feel they should be doing. Needless to say, I will continue doing business else where and just not use paypal or ebay. It really is not worth it for the small sellers. I alos noticed their prices have went up on selling. I will make sure I inform people not to use or sell on ebay.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pan_pacifica

It goes something like this... The more days they can hold YOUR MONEY after the transaction is complete with no issues would only mean GREED!!!  they are not holding your money they are selling it for more profits. the whole paypal is not a Pal at all!!!! we bought a paypal rip-off card at a CVS for 4.95 and put 200.00 on the card and sent it to a friend in NEED they charge her 20.00 to recieve the funds.. a billion dollar company that moves money... how many people you think they employ? 10,000 maybe? wal-mart employ's 2 million folks and still give people great amount of savings to do business..

pan_pacifica
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pan_pacifica

To answer Glenda's question:

YES, as I stated in my post, I always purchase postage from PayPal and/or EBay, with delivery tracking.

I have read the rules and reg's.

If someone can provide some help, I would sure appreciate it.

Even Amazon doesn't make you wait 10 days after your item ships and delivers to get paqid.

musicallps
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pan_pacifica

I also have been waiting nearly two weeks, I am 100 percent blue star ebay member of 8 years.

I am considering doing my business with someone else.

Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to pan_pacifica

The reason for the holds is what happened to me.   I purchased a very expensive item on ebay at auction and paid by Paypal.  A few days later the Seller explained to me that unfortunatelu two packages were switched and I was to receive wrong one; he nicely, voluntarily credited me about 10% of the purchase price for his error and the inconvenience it would cause me - very nice of him; maybe something I would do.  Tick tock.  A few days later the package came, and I returned it to Seller.  The Seller said when he received the correct package from the other party that he would send it to me.  After the Seller received his package back from me (delivery certified, as always), I waited.  4 days later - - tick tock, tick tock - I contacted the Seller and asked him to send me the delivery information on the correct package.  I definitely did not suspect fraud, as this person had a good reason for selling the item(s) and everything fit regarding the item that a novice would not easily understand AND his reviews in the last 12 months were 24/25 positive, but I had purchased an expensive item and I didn't want to get burned so I was being ultra-proactive.  I called ebay.  They explained to me my options.  Tick tock, tick tock.  The Seller never responded to my email.  PANIC.  I opened a case 12 hours later even though the ebay rep told me I could wait.  Ebay then gave the Seller 3 business days and over a weekend to contact me once the case was open.  The Seller never contacted me.  I escalated the case as soon as ebay permitted me to do so.  It's been nearly 48 hours since I escalated my complaint to ebay and nearly three weeks since I made my payment to Paypal.  I hope that Paypal held the money this time!

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pan_pacifica
The longer they hold money, the more they make money investing/interest. Simple business model. Use others money to make money.
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to pan_pacifica

You should not send the item until you are paid. Even eBay itself would suggest this. When I manage to achieve a sale, I get an email from eBay saying please send your item as soon as the buyer has paid. No money - no product. Remember the buyer can return the product for a refund on the amount that they have already paid if they are not satisfied.

Wait as long as it takes to get the money before shipping. Your buyer may try to cheat you and NEVER pay you. Therefore, you do not risk losing anything if you wait for payment BEFORE shipping the item. They don't pay, they don't get it, you open an unpaid item case, they get a black mark and it's as simple as that. They want it, they pay first. They should not be concerned about being cheated or ripped off by you, because they can report this to eBay.

glenda
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pan_pacifica

Hi pan_pacifica

Here is information about PayPal's hold policy:

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/paypal_holds_faq

Are you shipping your items with delivery confirmation?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to pan_pacifica

I never had a problem with PayPal, I have to say. I always found transactions to be immediate and without error, whether purchasing guitar plectrums or Kindle ebooks. I would only suggest talking to admin, or perhaps PayPal themselves.

kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to pan_pacifica

Glenda already provided help. PayPal hold affects new sellers. You are a new seller with very little track record. Aim for a Feedback Score of 100 to start seeing your payments not be held.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/payment_unavailable.html