eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member
What do sellers do when a buyer wants to return an item sold NWT but they no longer have any of the orignal tags?

I sold a leather handbag NWT about a week ago.  I offer 14 day returns provided item is returned in new condition with all tags intact.  Reason for return is that it's too small.  However, I listed all dimensions accurately and buyer is not disputing them.  I'm assuming they threw out the tags and used it, and now decided it's too small.  I obviously cannot resell it now as new with tags, and it's value has depreciated.  Would buyers accept this return, and if so how would they determine a fair refund amount?  The bag's original price was $155 and sold for $70.  Thanks for any thoughts you can share!

Other Answers: 8
sbm-ventures
Community Member
Answered
in reply to flowermom42

You know what they say about assuming, How do you know the buyer removed the tags. If they file a dispute you will have to refund in full.

pinkflamingo2855
Community Member
Answered
in reply to flowermom42

i would just tell them to return, and refund in full..or it "could" get damaged and you would have to refund in full anyway---and have a damaged bag...it may still have the tags.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go"
Oscar Wilde
cute.shoes
Community Member
Answered
in reply to flowermom42

>> Buyer already admitted there is nothing wrong with the handbag

Yes - BUT - when buyers open a case with eBay they LIE and say it is "not as described" - since that is the way they get eBay to allow them to return item to a seller.

It's what they say in the CASE that eBay pays attention to - not emails prior to them opening a case.

And you would have a good case to "appeal" any eBay ruling - appeals are not guaranteed.

__________ _________ _________ __________
See my "me" page to learn what smart sellers do.
Community Member
Answered
in reply to flowermom42

Thanks for your input.  Buyer already admitted there is nothing wrong with the handbag, so I don't think they can now claim it's damaged.  The photos of the bag in the listing showed it with its tags.  And again, the buyer isn't stating it came without the tags, merely that she no longer has them.  Any other suggestions?

ritacummins
Community Member
Answered
in reply to flowermom42

Just tell your buyer that since they cannot return it in the same condition as it was when you sent it, you cannot accept it for a refund.  Suggest they sell it themselves on Ebay.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to flowermom42

'Item may be returned within 14 days. It must be in new, unused condition with all packaging materials and tags intact. If item is not defective, buyer must pay all shipping charges, plus any fees the seller incurred from eBay and Paypal.'

The above is your return policy and it appears that the buyer cannot return it in the same condition as you sent it (w/tags).

It is totally your call here-if a dispute is filed and the messages were through eBay messages-you just may win-maybe.

It's up to you whether you want to chance it and the negative feedback you will probably receive.

Also you can't charge a buyer for your seller fees in a refund-you would need to send them a cancellation request and have them agree (or ignore for 7 days) in order to recoup those.

Good Luck.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to flowermom42

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!  At the recommendation of another seller, I called eBay customer support to better understand my options - and associated risk.  I was told that since my return policy clearly states that items can only be returned in new condition with the tags intact, I do NOT have to accept this return.  And I do not have to worry about a case being opened because eBay would find in my favor.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to flowermom42

If the buyer cannot return it in the same condition as she received it, i.e. no tags, then I don't see a problem. It is no longer not returnable.

Site Map at bottom of every eBay page can be your best eBay friend!