• Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
house*of*paws
Community Member
Accepted Solution
Meaning of "Notice left" on USPS website

Hi Guys,

I'm 'tracking' a package that was shipped from PA to CA ... and the last entry says 'Notice Left' in a city in PA.

To me, 'Notice Left' is the same as 'Attempted Delivery' ... which would mean the package had been shipped to the wrong address.  I thought I would ask if there is another possible meaning for 'Notice left' before getting seller's contact information and phoning them on the weekend.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions: 4
pinkflamingo2855
Community Member
Answered
in reply to house*of*paws

notice left----yes the PO tried to deliver.....so they gave you a WRONG tracking number, hopefully----by mistake...

i would contact them about it and see what they say.....

and if it was a custom order how could it be ready to ship the same day? unless they just had to add a name or something that could be done pretty fast....maybe they entered any old number they had due to the ebay uploading requirement of 90%?????----even tho it would be the wrong number!

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go"
Oscar Wilde
craneclimber1
Community Member
Answered

perhaps the package was delivered back to the seller?

or you were given a DC number for a different buyer.

you should contact the seller to find out.

opticalplace
Community Member
Answered

hi paws!

sorry - I misread...and you are far from just the buyer! you are the responder that has helped me over and over! thank you.

I can say...shipping hundreds of boxes a week...tracking can be bizarre. I have shipped items from ny to nj that get sorted in ca!

but...I do think you should contact the seller and give them a heads up...I get these messages from buyers all the time, it's not rude. you are justified in your concern.  the seller should be able to at least let you know they shipped correctly for you or check if they didn't and fix it and set your mind at ease.

I can say most of what I shipped last week did not get scanned - it was a strange week at the post office with the holiday and the weather.

I do think you should just contact the seller - and hell, you are a pro at being helpful...maybe karma will kick in and you will get  a really helpful seller!

good luck.

sunnysouth1
Community Member
Answered

Hi Paws,

Yes, "Notice Left" is the same as "Attempted Delivery". The notice will say something to the effect that delivery was attempted, blah, blah...

I would contact the seller.

Sunny

"If the world were ruled by women then there would be no war… just a couple of nations not talking with each other."

Other Answers: 6
opticalplace
Community Member
Answered

'Notice Left' would mean they attempted to deliver it, but for some reason could not, so they left the buyer an notice to contact the post office for pick up or redelivery.

it doesn't necessarily mean the addy is wrong.

-maybe they weren't available to sign if there was 'Signature Confirmation'.

-maybe their mailbox was not big enough or too full to hold the item and the mailman did not feel safe leaving it at their door.

-maybe the buyer requested that packages not be left at their door fearing it might be stolen.

-maybe an apt number was missing.

you may want to contact the buyer and let them know delivery was attempted and they should call their post office to re-schedule delivery.

house*of*paws
Community Member
Answered

I am the buyer, myspecsoptical.

This was an item I purchased about two weeks ago ... and seller sent me a DC number almost immediately, which didn't show anything until today.

Today I checked the USPS website and saw that the package was Processed in PA yesterday ... and that it was both 'Received' and 'Notice left' in a different city in PA today.

This is a custom order of an item I REALLY want ... and I don't want to get seller in trouble.   Seller might have used the tracking number to ship a package to someone else ... either deliberately or accidentally ... so I want to be clear on what's happening before contacting her. 

shanechas
Community Member
Answered

Wait till Monday and contact your local PO,  tell them you have a " notice of attempted delivery " and ask if they still have the package,  sometines they will try twice to deliver,  if they can not deliver the item the regular way they will hold it for 15 days before they return it to the seller.

cpgne
Community Member
Answered
Here you go: ' PS Form 3849, commonly referred to as a "Notice Left," is used when a mailpiece cannot be delivered when attempted by a Postal Service employee because no one is available to accept delivery. Adopting a standardized process nationwide affords mailers the ability to accurately inform their customers of when the Postal Service will make second notice attempts or will return an article to the sender.' HOWEVER, I've gotten these notices on online tracking on a day when everyone was home. If you actually receive NO paper notice, and the package DOES NOT REQUIRE a signature, then the carrier probably used that as a bailout because they couldn't get to you in time that day, or discovered it in the truck upon return to the post office, so you can expect it to come out the next day (usually).
house*of*paws
Community Member
Answered

Just to be clear:

I am the Buyer.  I live in California.

Seller shipped from Pennsylvania.

Tracking shows 'Notice Left' in Pennsylvania ... but in a different city from where seller shipped.

Package never left PA ... so my local PO in CA can't do anything to help.

house*of*paws
Community Member
Answered

I got seller's contact info and left a voicemail message.

The order isn't supposed to be custom ... as the item is listed as a finished item (made by seller) ... but from seller's feedback, I can tell she's making the items after buyer's purchase them.

Sooooo ... I realized from the beginning that this would take a long time getting to me, but I couldn't find it anywhere else, so I took a chance.  Seller apparently does good work ... so I hope I get my package eventually.  I don't want a refund.

Thanks for all your answers. guys.   Sorry I wasn't that clear in my initial question.  :-)