eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member
How often does Ebay side with seller when a buyer opens a case?

I have a buyer who has opened a case against me. I put in my description that I was selling "as is" because i had no idea if the item (instant camera) worked because it had been stored away many years and I had not tested it except for popping it open and that the battery charging light came on. I also said that potential buyers should use their best judgement. So apparantly the camera has some issues, like the auto focus doesn't work, not that the camera doesn't. Buyer also says he had to force the camera open and I know for a fact that it popped open perfectly fine, so I am concerned that he just didn't know how to pop it open and has damaged it. Wha tare my chances of inning this case. Oh and I might add that seller e-mailed me prior to auctions end asking me to end auction early and sell to him for a lower price, which we know is not allowed and also e-mailed me about another item I had listed and said that he was interested but he had purchased a similar item on ebay and it arrived damaged, so I feel that he is the type not to be satisfied. He sent many questions before auction for camera ended and  I was hoping he wouldn't buy it because I felt he would be trouble.

Other Answers: 7
craneclimber1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cvkhannah

"...so I feel that he is the type not to be satisfied.......I was hoping he wouldn't buy it because I felt he would be trouble."

so...why didn't you cancel their bids and add their ID to your BBL?

karl*katz
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cvkhannah

How often does eBay side with seller when a buyer opens a case?

Those statistics are not made available to members.

We do however see the occasional post where a buyers claim was rejected.

rockydaytona
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cvkhannah

listing with the USED condition indicates that the item is fully operational as intended.

if you cannot determine that condition before listing it,  the item should be in the non working/for parts or repair condition.

as is    ---is not an option for condition.

now you will just have to advise the buyer to return for full refund. let them know that once you receive your item back and inspect it, you will refund their money.

there is no chance you would win this case because you listed with a condition that says it will be fully operational, and the buyer says it is not.

inceptions
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cvkhannah

You will not win the case. Ask the buyer to return the item for a full refund. A good seller would also reimburse the buyer for the return shipping as this transaction has been a total waste of his time.

As a seller, you need to figure out if the item works. If you can't figure it out, then sell it for parts only. You can't sell an item "as is" and expect the buyer to gamble his money on whether or not it will work.

ritacummins
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cvkhannah

Don't fight this.   Just respond in the case that you will refund in full when the buyer returns the camera.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to cvkhannah

If you don't enjoy a buyer asking lots of questions, place them on your BBL so they can't buy anything from you.....

You can check buyers' Feedbacks Left for Others' when you do get bids, as well and if you don't like their feedbacks left for others, you can cancel their bids and put them on your BBL...

You can put up to 5K on that list, found down on the bottom of every page, Site Map.

You have a bunch of great responses, above, about how to 'fix' your sales notions and listings correctly..

whering660
Community Member
Answered
in reply to cvkhannah

If you hang out here in the AC for any length of time, you will see that when a seller "wins" it is because the buyer flubs and closes the case, or they let the case time out without taking any further action. Recently on seller had a very good outcome and we were all heartened by it. As far as buyers go, if they ask question after question and will not take no for an answer before the auction is over, block them before they can bid, because they usually turn out to be complete buttrashes after the fact. As stated above, look at their FB left for others as well. Just refund the guy "AFTER" he returns. Good luck!