eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Merry Christmas

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Continental Art Company Lamps

I have been all over the internet trying to find information on these figural lamps by Continental Art Company. I am sure they are from the late 1950's and they are chalkware but I have no idea on what the value may be? They have the 3 tier fiberglass shades which I think are pretty desirable correct? I don't have any idea on how I would ship these though because they are so heavy and the circumfrance of the shades is hugh! Any input or suggestions would be very appreciated! I would like to list them soon!!! Thanks everyone!!!

Community Member

in reply to tinker*bella
I plugged the company's name into Google and came up with three other cool-looking lamps made by the same company.

Here is a site with other table lamps like yours:

http://www.tvlamps.net/table_lamps.html

They even have one by the same company.

Community Member

in reply to tinker*bella
We don't like to give values on the boards, for a number of reasons. Your best bet is to watch ebay for a bit and look at ended auctions.

I can tell you that they are very desirable. I've sold quite a few of them over the years including the pair you've shown.

If you show the mark, that can help a bit to narrow down the age, but it really isn't all that important if you decide to sell.

The biggest factor is safely packaging the lamps. It is a project, but due to the weight it's really important to do it right. They will be quite expensive to ship, but buyers of these lamps expect that.

I buy 4x8 sheets of 2" thick white styrofoam boards at Home Depot and cut them to line the box. You need to ship the lamps and shades separately, though you may be able to ship in just two boxes. You'll need plenty of large bubble wrap or heavy microfoam.

When I ship a single lamp I put it in a 12x12 tall box, then put that one into a 15x15x30 (actual height depends on the lamp), or use the 15x15 tall box and put that one inside a larger box. In either case I put styrofoam between the two boxes.

One of the most important things is to make sure that nothing can move when you're finished and that no arm or other part is receiving undue pressure at the side of the box.

For the shades, wrap gently with microfoam, bubble wrap or even tissue, and firmly fill the box with peanuts.

Depending on where you get the boxes and materials, you're probably looking at a minimum of $25 in supplies.

Best bet for shipping is FedEx or DHL ground; open an online account if you don't have one (no cost to do so and it gets you their best rates.) UPS rates through paypal will be comparable if you sign up for the daily rate as they just announced.

The lamps look like they may have some yellow build up from smoke. I'd say carefully clean them and take plenty of good pictures and you should be very pleased with the result. Just make sure you pack them well; I've heard a number of horror stories from buyers about lamps that arrived in pieces.

Community Member

in reply to tinker*bella
wow - those are ugly, love them!
Community Member

in reply to tinker*bella
Yeah, they are pretty ugly are they not? They look more like the second photo with the coloring for reference!
Community Member

in reply to tinker*bella
I was looking through some lamp links and spotted this interesting website that has some lamps and figures that look quite a lot like yours.

http://www.citysalvage.com/reglor/

The site also has a section on the history of Reglor of California and it's legal battles with other lamp companies that used their designs without permission.

That aside, I would have bought those lamps no matter who made them..

-Chris
Community Member

in reply to tinker*bella
oldcountrybarn gives good advice on packaging. Easiest mistake on ones like these is to underestimate importance of packaging the shades, since they aren't as obviously fragile as the plaster bases. Truth is, the shades are rarer than the bases (though these bases are exceptional). Joints on the wire frames are sometimes brittle and need to be well cushioned or they'll snap.

Be sure and describe any damage to shade & lacing.
Re price, we got $90 for the last singleton we sold from this pair.

Community Member

in reply to tinker*bella
I sent a similar shade to England once. I put it in a large garbage bag, filled the shade with packing peanuts, taped the bag tightly & then bubble wrapped all around. It went in a large box with several inches of packing peanuts & I'm happy to say it arrived safely.

That's how I pack all my shades.

I wish I would have found those lamps. They are so awesome!
Community Member

in reply to tinker*bella
They were my mother's and I remember them as a kid growing up I thought they were so ugly! I still have not listed them. I am scared at the whold shipping idea. I am either considering listing as a local pick up or at the buyers expense have pak mail box and ship them. I have used them in the past for high priced items that were very fragile and have had wonderful success but it is pricey to use them! Not sure how I will decide to do this yet!!! Everyone has been so helpful though and I appreciate it so much!!!