eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

I found these... and just wondering, are they Carlo of Hollywood? Here's a coupleof quick pics. Unfortunately, the paper back has been
completely destroyed. All that the back of the oil
paintings say is: 11/28/64, and then the following
number (I'm guessing serial number): 2886B. Can anyone give me additional info on Carlo? TIA!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
Judging from this info gleaned on this website (below), it appears to be a genuine "Carlo".

(Note to self: look up completed auctions: "Carlo of Hollywood". If these schlocky paintings sell for high prices, remind self that the taste level of the average American is abysmally low...)

http://www.carloofhollywood.net/spottingacarlo.html
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
Um... well, this "average" American happens to like them quite a bit. The schlocks are currently hanging on my wall.

Good luck on the nicorette auction! Looks like the smoking withdrawals are making you slightly miserable.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
Sorry, I thought you were only researching them to sell (oops).

By "schlocky", I meant that these paintings by Carlo (of Hollywood) seem to have been done with a kind of mass-produced assembly-line speed, like the stuff they sell at those Hotel art blowouts... the style's derivative of earlier artists... and the unnecessarily large "CARLO" signatures imply a deluded sense of self-importance on Carlo's part-- like the painting itself a backdrop for the signature. But, that's Hollywood.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
I've had many "Carlo's" over the years. My first set were the forced perspective framed ballerinas. That was in the mid 80's. I've had swimmers, other dancers, as well as the more modernistic set like you have. The "set" you have are actually only half of the set. There should be two additional images that go in between the two you have. I think they are of a skyline. If you look closely you can see in each painting you have the beginnings of the other two. So...there were four paintings total and you have the outer two.
Carlo was hugely prolific and painted well into the late 1970s.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
I also recently purchased a piece that's signed "Carlo" on the bottom but the paper backing has been removed and there is no sticker. It's a similar modern style like the ones pictured above but it's dimensions are 61" tall and 41" wide. I went to the website referenced above as well and my signature doesn't match the ones pictured. However, I found a similar painting listed here on Ebay that has the same dimensions and style and a very similar signature, as well as the "official sticker." http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330208595206&_trksid=p2759.l1259

Any ideas/help? Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
The sticker that they are relating to is a metal piece by artcraft, these most likely sold in the 1950's at a furniture store like Barker Bros. and probably cost alot back then. They said Carlo of Hollywood on the metal tab. The tab doesn't matter if the signature is the same, from what I understand there are a few different artist that worked for artcraft Company and signed them Carlo all had the carlo of hollywood plate, I acquired one which I will be listing a clown, these were done with thick paint on several and odd shaped frames for dancers and musicians, some people say he worked on the Lucy show which I find to be kind of interesting to know if anybody has any real proof of that or if it's just talk. I did take it to Butterfield's and they said he was know for his clowns but I see more landscapes which are more attractive for a Mid century type of Home. Either way the value would be the same metal plate or not in my research and like I said they were originally the working class of america art and are therefore selling as Mid Century items. If in fact they were done by someone from I love Lucy show, I'm sure that Bonham's Butterfields would know and the value would be much higher. But they are nice addition to the Mid century Home. Crazicollector:-D
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
I would send you pictures of the two you are missing, but I can't figure out how to post a picture here...any advice? I have the four hanging in my garage and will take a closer look if there is anything you'd like to know.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
Hanging in your garage?! Any chance you'd want to sell them? I'll email you my email addie :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
Sorry, but my husband would kill me if I dared to rid anything out of the garage. We have quite the mid century collection between that and the attic. We are of the mind set of 'get it when it's there & we'll figure out where to put it later'. We do rotate artwork, lamps, tables and chairs like the seasons throughout the house so each gets it's turn to shine. I think each of these stand fine on their own as well (IMO).
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
I just bought a Carlo. It's a clown and the colors are intense. It's signed "Anto" and has the Carlo of Hollywood label on the back. Any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
OT - I like the color of your wall.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
I have been researching this mystery man Carlo for years. Why is it not possible to find out anything about who Carlo is? I even sent an email to Lucille Ball's daughter because Carlo was supposed to have been a set designer on her show - no answer. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW WHO CARLO IS? I have two gorgeous, large Polynesian watercolors with abstract frames from the 40's-50's era left to me by my mother but still cannot discover anything about Carlo. If anyone knows anything, email Marty at telos2012@roadrunner.com
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
The artcraft logo is attached, the address of artcraft is shown on many a painting. Though I can't find that it's still in the location, If someone could find someone who worked there or anything about artcraft you could probably get an answer. It is a artcraft product signed Carlo of hollywood. I need to get this Mid Century clown painting outta here, email me.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Carlo of Hollywood?

in reply to damedelux
I was given a painting-Polynesian as well-and have the signature of Carlo-attached in the back of the painting was a paper that reads-About Our Paintings-Artcraft of Hollywood is fortunate to have under exclusive contract 43 talented young artists who paint by special order only the beautiful originals our art directors create. Each and every artist has his own technique and style which therefore prohibits the finding of another painting exactly such as this.
It is our aim to turn art "yearners" into art owners by offering sensiblyh priced Originals by American Artists
We hope you feel the same emotion when looking at this beautiful painting as the artist felt when he was painting it. Judge its value by how much feeling you get out of it and how strong the felling registers. Artcraft of Hollywood-anyone else have that? any idea of the cost of one of these-
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to damedelux
spelling corrections-sensibly not sensiblyh and feeling not felling
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to damedelux
carlo was a mentor to other artist under him they were aproved by him not done by him . hope that helps!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to damedelux
May I ask how are you aware that Carlo was only a mentor and did not paint himself? I know there are paintings singed by other artists with the Carlo of Hollywood sticker on the back but there are also paintings ONLY signed by Carlo. Do you have any info on Carlo at all? Would be helpful. He sure is a mystery man and many people have been trying to find out who he is, including myself. Thank you. Marty
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to damedelux
I purchased a painting yesterday that has this same plaque, but with a signature of "Martino." I haven't been able to find anything about "Martino" and wonder if it was one of the "43 talented young artists" referred to in the plaque. If you have received any further information regarding the "Artcraft of Hollywood" studio (I haven't found anything) I would be very interested in it.

Happy hunting!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to damedelux
I have 24"×32" sitting clown sign Russo dated 1953. The lable is carlo of hollywood. What's it worth?
Please use plain text.