eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

wildpair33
Community Member

Need Help reading Hallmark or signature..Brass Cuff Bracelet

I see BURR..can not make out the letter before or number underneath and the other side I believe reads S___?..What does all that mean ..Thanks for your time.

Please use plain text.
wildpair33
Community Member

Re: Need Help reading Hallmark or signature..Brass Cuff Bracelet

in reply to wildpair33

Please use plain text.
arlene_v
Community Member

in reply to wildpair33

I too can clearly see the Burr signature - and what appears to be the initial S. before it. I also think the numbers under the signature are 75. (Date?)  No idea what those other marks mean.

I googled Burr and  found two or three items of jewelry made by someone called Stephen Burr  - who apparently had (or has)  a studio in Hawaii ... a couple of his pieces were listed and sold on Etsy.

Not sure if this is the same artist or not - but it might be worth trying to find out more about Stephen Burr as he also worked in brass.

Please use plain text.
wildpair33
Community Member

in reply to wildpair33

Thank you Arlene, I saw a necklace also on worth point sold in 2011? and the one on Etsy both sold for how much I have no idea.. No pictures of signatures.

If this is Stephen Burr he is from Maui and had a storefront in the 80's..then end of trail..going to keep looking.

This bracelet is meant for a small wrist..Any ideas on cleaning brass?(non toxic) and what flower could that be?..I really am bad at flowers in jewelry form..lol

Please use plain text.
wildpair33
Community Member

in reply to wildpair33

110710155194 completed listing on the bay..Does that resemble this signature, ,opinions please & thank you

Please use plain text.
arlene_v
Community Member

in reply to wildpair33

Not so much to my eye .... :-(

Please use plain text.
wildpair33
Community Member

in reply to wildpair33

I used ketchup..does it look cleaner?? also found a belt buckle with the same flower..I think the *Burr* has the characteristics especially if the year is stating 75 and it is in script on completed listing and imo this looks a lil bit more primitive..if that is the right word. Like beginning work. He seems to be more known for art pastels paintings.

Here's another completed listing with the same flower motif just in belt buckle form..with the signature S Burr. Thanks

Please use plain text.
arlene_v
Community Member

in reply to wildpair33

I found the belt buckle you mentioned and yes - it does look very similar - :-)

If this is an early piece the signature could well have changed as he became more established and confident ... for sure.

Why not try to contact him and ask?  - seems he's still active as an artist ... and is represented by a gallery.

Please use plain text.
wildpair33
Community Member

in reply to wildpair33

121107108426 buckle...,maybe the SF on the other side is San Francisco..just a thought. He moved to Maui in the 80"s

just thinking out loud..thanks

Please use plain text.
wildpair33
Community Member

in reply to wildpair33

Ok will do what I can..Thanks for all your help..Just from researching costume jewelry and how how signatures changed through the years..that is why i though maybe earlier work..

Appreciate all your help

Please use plain text.
wildpair33
Community Member

in reply to wildpair33

Many Typo's on the last post-oops. I just sent a message hope to hear back from them.. fingers crossed

Please use plain text.
arlene_v
Community Member

in reply to wildpair33

If you do found out more  will you post an update, please?

The only thing that beats the thrill of the hunt is the thrill of  research... tracking down a maker - it's such fun, this sleuthing.

Please use plain text.
wildpair33
Community Member

in reply to wildpair33

Yes, I will update. I hear that, finding out something after the research is part of the fun. Especially for these unique pieces..

I just hope that they get back to me.. It's still like 4 am about their time..lol

Thanks so much for your responses & guidance. Greatly appreciated :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
rain777blue
Community Member

in reply to wildpair33

That is a very beautiful bracelet, and the flower does look like an island flower.. Good luck !

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to wildpair33

Steve Burr worked and had a shop in Kennebunkport, Maine in the '70s. He worked primarily in cast brass (which he found to look best on tanned naked  female bodies) or silver. At that time he used to winter in Costa Rica. I lost touch with him in the very early '80s. I like his work a lot and have a number of his pieces of jewelry -- earrings, rings, belt buckle. I'd love to get back in touch with him -- been googling him for years to no avail. His jewelry is very distinctive. I can be contacted at linnschulz at yahoo.com.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to farquahar

I think the Stephen Burr in Maui may be a different artist. He went to Bard College and I'm pretty sure "my" Steve Burr (the jewelry designer) went to Middlebury.

Please use plain text.