eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

calicos_vintage_jewelry
Community Member

Re: Is this Victorian Bog Oak ?

in reply to rain777blue

Thank you Sandy and Rain.:-)

That still doesn't get rid of the song in my head, I only know the first two lines so now I'll have to look up the lyrics so I'm not humming the rest.

Yes, I have a touch of OCD.

photo calilips3_zpsf9000705.jpg
Please use plain text.
realitycheck-7
Community Member

in reply to rain777blue

Bog wood is actually wood, in the early stages of fossilization, wood that has been buried in peat bogs.  So it isn't peat, it is wood.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to realitycheck-7

Here's a site by some Irish bog wood artists that has a clear definition of bog oak and bog wood.  Even has drawings for those of us that need like that sort of thing!:catwink:

http://www.bogwood.net/bog-oak-bog-wood/

Nona

'Eep, 'eep...comin' through...
Please use plain text.
belle*dame
Community Member

in reply to nmiller4

Well, it is obvious that the cross is wood looking at the grain in it and the grain on the sides in the additional pictures.  The links that many of you put do show that this roses motif (called Tudor rose) was not rare for bog oak - or bog wood.

What is confusing is the differing information online about bog oak.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of agreement about whether bog oak was carved or molded.  According to Morning Glory site,

"There are several materials used to make mourning jewelry, and they can be very difficult to distinguish between: jet, bog oak, horn and vulcanite. Jet was hand carved, while the other materials were pressed or molded."

Also, this link says that bog oak jewelry became popular after hydraulics were invented that could press and mold it:  Information link only:

http://antiques.about.com/od/victorianandedwardian/a/BogOak083010.htm

The only piece of bog oak jewelry that I have had that I know was bog oak was a small brooch with a 3-leaf clover and Celtic border.  The back was perfectly smooth with only the faintest grain showing, but it did have a woody look to it.  One place that had a chip was as dark brown as the outside wood.  It was the raised grain on Cali's that made me question whether this could be some other type of wood.

But now that I see all the links above and looked at other rose-decorated pieces, I'm definitely leaning toward it being bog oak, too. 

Please use plain text.
calicos_vintage_jewelry
Community Member

in reply to belle*dame

Belle, when you have this in-hand the grain on the back is very fine and hard to see, my pics and flash make it look bolder.

I've never had bog wood/oak so this was an education.:-)

photo calilips3_zpsf9000705.jpg
Please use plain text.
wendelsantiques
Community Member

in reply to calicos_vintage_jewelry

of couse cali,  lol

we ask for pictures that are blown up to see detail,  then say ........  never mind lol

hey that is like a customer saying these earrings are smaller then the picture!!! 

sometimes a simple  .. hey I learned something new..... or maybe I was wrong on this one... or oh heck I must be looking for a christmas miracle :smileyhappy:

sorry a tad cranky this am.  between packing ugly sweaters, listing, and work.... yesterday shoveled about 2-3 tons of asphalt.... we put out over 100 tons with machine... so tired and sore. 

Photobucket

pffffffffft & a yippee skippee to you too!

Please use plain text.
rain777blue
Community Member

in reply to calicos_vintage_jewelry

Sooo right you are realitycheck!! thanks for the link and info.. I just knew it had something to do with peat bogs, this old mind doesn't remember everything lately. But I have all those links marked now. :smileyhappy:

"Bog wood is actually wood, in the early stages of fossilization, wood that has been buried in peat bogs.  So it isn't peat, it is wood."

I would vote bog oak carved cross.. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.