eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member

Insulting offers--what do you do?

I just wanted to get some feedback from y'all...when someone contacts you and makes an insultingly low offer, what do you do?  Not respond at all?  Counter-offer? Answer with snotty remark?  (I know, just kidding...)  

I got a note addressed to me at Aunt Betsy's, saying "I LOVE this piece, it's simply fabulous, and I want to pay half what you're asking, and not pay until the end of the month."  I'm sort of leaning towards ignoring.

What think ye?

Please use plain text.
evelyb30
Community Member

Re: Insulting offers--what do you do?

in reply to lbjool

"No" - close quote. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Please use plain text.
sktrsmw
Community Member

in reply to evelyb30

Decline,.....with NO explanation or note.

Please use plain text.
judokai2
Community Member

in reply to sktrsmw

Laugh and ignore it.

Opportunity is a shy girl, who just smiles to those who can make her smile.
Please use plain text.
rain777blue
Community Member

in reply to lbjool

I think I would simply say, "sorry I can not accept that offer"  or as others said, No.

Please use plain text.
moonlightrose28401
Community Member

in reply to lbjool

lol......and is she trying to put it on layaway and pay the other half the next month?????

photo newyearsimageebay.jpg
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lbjool

I got an insulting offer like that on the same place.  The person said, "I really like this item, but I saw it on eBay for $5 less than your item, and it had the box.  I'll offer you $20 less on this piece since you don't have the box.

I replied nicely:  "Thanks for your offer!  I'm so glad you found a better bargain on eBay, and I fully encourage you to take advantage of that offer before the auction ends."

Tact...Sometimes it means stressing the positive in the situation to get your true meaning across  :womanhappy:

"One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." ~Nicola Tesla
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lbjool

I simply say 'no thank you'--but on a related and humorous note, last year I was lucky enough to find a Froment Meurice piece, (Napoleon's silvermaker), it was a single sterling salt dish and it went for a nice price. After the sale, some idiot wrote to say 'you would have gotten a better price if you had the pair of them with the glass liners'.

Well, duh....it was 200 years old, I was very fortunate to fine one of them!

Please use plain text.
bernadette49
Community Member

in reply to debraopt

my reply would be

I would be happy to sell it to you for half price but I will have to charge you a $10 fee for holding it and  $150 for shipping.

thanks for asking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down.
Wilson Mizner
Please use plain text.
ritacummins
Community Member

in reply to lbjool

I am getting more and more of these lowball offers on fixed price listings.   I usually answer "If it does not sell in the next 30 days I may list it with the 'make an offer' provision.   Keep an eye on it"

sometimes the questioner buys it as the asking price, more often I never hear from them again

Please use plain text.
queencityfinejewelry
Community Member

in reply to ritacummins

I just decline- I mean sometimes it might work for them- so it doesn't hurt my feelings anymore.  I used to but I just decline, and if it's someone I know I just counter with my best offer back.

Please use plain text.
dawnjewels
Community Member

in reply to lbjool

My understanding is that now eBay is sending an e-mail to buyers who have an item on their watch list when the price is lowered.  So I think a good response might be to suggest they add the item to their watch list. Then, if you do lower the price, they will be the first to know. 

Sherry

Killing time murders opportunities
Please use plain text.
sheilakrm
Community Member

in reply to queencityfinejewelry

Ditto what jenadkinswellsprings posted.

Photobucket
"Today is a Gift that is why it is called the Present"
Sheila
Please use plain text.
vernon1959
Community Member

in reply to lbjool

when I first dabbled in fixed price listings and got a low ball offer, I would just say-sorry no.

Then I was in a "mood" one day and counter offered a few bucks below what I was originally asking and they accepted it.

I tried this a few times and it usually works pretty well.

At first I was a bit taken back that they were offering such a low $$$ amount, then I started to think that some people just like to haggle

Normally I will not ask for a "better" price, it's just not my personality.

But it does seem to be a "thing" especially outside the U.S., I believe it's a cultural thing.

just my 2 cents :smileyhappy:

Pauline

Please use plain text.
mymysharona43
Community Member

in reply to vernon1959

I always expect low ball offers on best offers, not all, many serious buyers do not insult so badly. But I always counter with what I would take from anyone no matter how low the offer, I usually don reply on any best offers so just counter offer. I think if others see you have offers (though they may be low, others who may be watching see offers and may bid)

I had one this morning, I got a 75 dollar offer 20 minutes later I got a decent offer from someone else:womanwink:

I usually fume a little at the low balls then come back to my senses LOL at least here others can see there are offers/interest even though they don't know what they are......

Please use plain text.
mymysharona43
Community Member

in reply to mymysharona43

The low baller seeing what it sold for is poetic justice HA

Please use plain text.
rain777blue
Community Member

in reply to lbjool

What gets my goat, is when you are in a mood and just want to sell something (all the time) and you accept that lowball price, and they never pay for it :smileysad: That takes the cake. However that happened to me before they changed the rule, that it had to be paid for before it was removed from the sell page.

I just figured at that point someone just wanted my item not to show because it was less then they were selling samething for. That did happen to me a few times. JMHO

Please use plain text.
diane11122
Community Member

in reply to rain777blue

Perhaps using eBay Automatic Response option could reduce the frustration of receiving insulting offers? (I realize buyers could still use Messages to ask, but at least the offers that go through the usual process would never get to you).

ref: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/best-offer.html#automatically

Please use plain text.
wholemeasures
Community Member

in reply to lbjool

It depends how badly I need the money.  Sales have been so bad this year for whatever multitude of reasons.  I will counter offer if I have to pay a bill.  If  not, I simply say "not at this time, thank you though."

If the buyer really really wants it and gives me a story about grandma, we can usually come up with something agreeable to both.  

Key:

If I am insulted then my ego is out of check. "how dare...who does he/she think he is?....blah blah blah."  It's just a sign that there is something wrong with me.  I don't let the little **bleep** bother me.  Otherwise, I gotta figure it out and work on myself.  Ugghhhh

Please use plain text.
n2gypsy
Community Member

in reply to lbjool

This as insulting as a seller who uses "make an offer" and then counter offers with a buck or two discount! WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!

Please use plain text.