eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • StubHub

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
is it safe to buy from china?

Will my PayPay account be comprimised if I purchase from China, Korea, etc.?

Accepted Solution
grandpatexhelp
Community Member
Answered
in reply to no1jordyn

No, you'll just have a long wait for your stuff, and it may be less than good quality.

Answer center posts are no longer in chronological order,making it difficult to answer a question in a step by step fashion. If the thread doesn't make sense, click on the Most Kudos link, above, and select Newest First. Be sure to check for hidden comments to see if the OP has returned with valuable information that may affect the final outcome.
Other Answers: 6
october_paws
Community Member
Answered
in reply to no1jordyn

Well, Basically, you get what you paid for: Cheap, long wait even hassle if it did not turn out the way you wanted.(sorry)

mrsmtn
Community Member
Answered
in reply to no1jordyn

Yes, it's safe, especially if you are using PayPal. You should be concerned, however, if you are buying items that are advertised as genuine brand names. They often are not.

mr_lees_deals
Community Member
Answered
in reply to no1jordyn

Buyer protection will be in effect for Asian purchases, yes.

Your PP account will not be compromised, for ANY purchase anywhere.

Your concern with buying from China is WHAT you buy, many knockoffs and counterfeit items are sold there. Be careful when buying gems, coins, antiques, name brands etc

LC

“Every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.” Zig Ziglar
johnsattic
Community Member
Answered
in reply to no1jordyn

Biggest problem I found in dealing with asian merchants in asia has nothing to do with paypal, it is all about quality and returns.

Much of the stuff doesn't work at all or is otherwise not as you expected, returning it is next to impossible because of high shipping costs, believe me, if you buy it, you own it forever.

A much safer, faster, easier way to check out these goods is as follows: Almost anything you find available from an overseas merchant is also available from an importer located right here in the USA. You may pay a dollar or two more, it is money well spent because the importer has for the most part eliminated the cheaply made nonworking stuff and/or if the item doesn't suit you returning it is not an impossible task.

So if I see a computer battery for example listed for $12.00 in Hong Kong or the same batter available from a seller in California or New Jersey for $14.00 I will save myself weeks of shipping time and the chance to return it if the thing doesn't fit properly or work correctly by spending the extra $2.00.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler, A. Einstein
Community Member
Answered
in reply to no1jordyn

It depends if you are a fool or not. Many sensible people buy from China with no problems, Millions of them in fact. They do their research, they pay a reasonable price, and having done their research, they do not want the goods yesterday.

Others do not do their research, pay a "too good to be true" price, are all upset because the item takes two weeks to arrive, and even more upset when they discover it's a cheap knock off and they need to pay to return it.

Define "safe?" Crossing the road is not "safe" yet sensible people seem to manage to do it all the time.

kraloe
Community Member
Answered
in reply to no1jordyn

Why would you think that? Asian sellers aren't given any different info about your payment or account than US sellers. PayPal tells you that sellers don't get any sensitve financial info.