eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • FedEx One Rate

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
ebay's new global shipping program with Pitney Bowes

I just read thru the user agreement for ebay's new global shipping program in association with Pitney Bowes and would like to know from some experienced international shippers if this is a good idea.

On the surface it sounds OK.  Sellers would open their items to international buyers and ship to a US based clearing house run by Pitney Bowes.  Seller's responsibily would end once the item was accepted by Pitney Bowes.  They would then forward the item to the buyer and accept all responsibility for it's safe delivery and custom forms.  Sellers are guarenteed 5 stars for shipping and handling as well as for shipping time if 1 day shipping is used. 

If anyone has also read the user agreement and can point out a down side or pit fall, I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks 

Accepted Solutions: 7
nscarlett1450
Community Member
Answered
in reply to nscarlett1450

Thanks for the link, silvestrad, and you're right there isn't much said about the buyers. Isn't third party shipping (UPS & Fedx) much more than USPS? Will buyers go for that?

Will Pitney Bowes or ebay list the shipping price when using calculated shipping? Lots of questions unanswered by ebay.

trinitybball23
Community Member
Answered

I read it over & I have questions over certain things.  They listed the countries involved, Australia, Canada & mostly European countries.  Alot of countries not listed, Russia, Brazil, Japan, China.  It says if you purchase USPS insurance, it only covers the shipping to the service center.  What is involved if the pkg. is lost or broken after it leaves the SC?  What is the cost, will it be competitive with USPS?  Signature confirmation is to the SC, not the buyer.  My biggest concern is the cost.  It says if the SC receives it within 4 days, you get auto 5 stars on shipping time.  Offer free domestic shipping, get auto t stars on shipping costs.  But what is domestic shipping?  I thought domestic was US shipping.  What happens after it leaves the SC?  IS PB responsible for the pkg. after leaving the SC if it's lost or stolen?

Sounds good, but almost a little too good to be true & alot of unanswered questions.  Will wait & see.

=^^= Save a stray today.
silverstrad
Community Member
Answered

read all about it here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html

It sounds good.. but I am not clear how the buyer will find out the actual total cost of shipping and customs fees. They would need to find that from Pitney B. ?

So how much would the buyer pay the seller ?

And do they pay more to the shipper later ?

And guess who  gets the blame if the buyer thinks the total of shipping plus custom fees is  too high

It will be interesting to see how this works out for buyers and sellers.

Community Member
Answered

Like many of eBays programs. it sounds good on the surface but WAIT and the problems will surface. Funny, eBay goes through all this trouble but fails to never address the real problem...UNFAIR FEEDBACK POLICIES!! I used to sell quite a bit but have come to nearly a standstill after I have been a victim of sellers engaging in online theft and unfair negative feedback. My feedback is at 100% and rightly so but why sell when you get so little back and risk so much!! I much prefer taking any item to my local auctioneer. I am supporting the local person and eBay/Paypal does not get my money. 

You asked for it eBay!

trinitybball23
Community Member
Answered

Thanks leesballcaps, I see that now.  You said sellers have to be invited?  I thought I saw a link to opt in when reading it, but I could be wrong.

I'm also wondering, if we print the label on Ebay, what are they going to look like?  I mean we are not printing a label to our customer, we are printing a label to the SC.  Do they print the label from them to the customer?

Then, I looked at lees & switched to Slovakia, just to see the rate, which with import fees was close to $20.  If we are printing a label only to the SC, which would be nowhere near $20, how does PB get their cut to send the pkg. on?  Does that make sense?

Only 1 space left on this post, so if anyone actually completes one of these, I'd like to hear how it went.

=^^= Save a stray today.
leesballcaps
Community Member
Answered

One queried:

It sounds good.. but I am not clear how the buyer will find out the actual total cost of shipping and customs fees. They would need to find that from Pitney B. ?

The cost to ship to the foreign country is on the listing as always, including customs fees, handling and so forth. The seller will be forwarded the amount part that is included to ship to the center according to the size, weight, carrier and level of service you placed in your listing when you created it.

Feel free to visit any of my listings, click on shipping, change your residence to Aussie or somewhere besides Canada (unless you have a postal code handy) to see.

Don't forget to relocate back to the US when you have finished.

In answer to the questions asked, it is by invitation only, and I have not yet sold out of country since I accepted so I can not report anything but bright expectations, not experience.

Both of my IDs now have it.

The opinion given here is my understanding of the policies I have read, and personal experiences on eBay. You paid nothing, feel free to value it based on that price if you wish.
trinitybball23
Community Member
Answered

I will have to read up on that more, I didn't see it yet.  I ship internationally alot & that sounds good in theory, so will check it out. 

=^^= Save a stray today.
Other Answers: 30
superbluehead
Community Member
Answered

As a German buyer I have made a bad experience with that program, because it has one big flaw: there is no whatsoever paper listing details of shipping paid, customs fee, service charge for Pitney Bowes and national VAT paid on entry.
All you have is your paypal-account, that tells you that you paid a certain amount of money for all four things together.

And that is a problem for anyone using the bought item for their (freelance) work, because none of these fees will be accepted as a business expense by the tax office without an official invoice about the amount of VAT and shipping paid. In my case it meant I now have to pay 170 $ out of my private pocket for a business investment. This, sorry, sucks big time.

Neither ebay.com, nor FedEx can give me any information. Pitney Bowes does not have a phone number or email adress for this. In fact, the buyer does not even see an email adress on his or her paypal transaction details. How fishy is that...

So, for all foreign buyers looking for a good deal in new items overseas I recommend to only buy from ones who don't offer GSP and just regularly pay your duty and taxes at customs, as we successfully have for decades. This way it's cheaper, and there is a documentation of the money paid. 

If anyone has an advice how to get in contact with the right person to get those paper, I'd be more than glad. 

Community Member
Answered

PITNEY BOWES IS A FARCE, A COMPLETE SCAM.

HOW CAN IT BE OTHERWISE WHEN THE US BASED SELLER 

IS NOT EVEN AWARE THAT HE IS A PARTNER (UNWILLING)

IN THIS SORDID CON JOB.

THE BUYER IS FORCED TO PAY NONEXISTANT DUTIES AND

DOUBLE THE SHIPPING COST.

I FOR ONE REFUSE TO PURCHASE FROM A SELLER

USING THIS NEFARIOUS METHOD.

Community Member
Answered

I spoke to Pitney Bowes in the USA today and found myself talking to an idiot, talking utter twaddle. She could not understand the points I was making and eventually told me to phone eBay!

When I phoned eBay, in the USA, I was eventually put through to someone who could discuss the GSP. He told me:

1. The charges are calculated by Pitney Bowes

2. The duties are collected on completion of the purchase through PayPal.

3. He was aware of the fact that the charges might be wrong on occasion.

4. Although Pitney Bowes is managing the process, international carriers such as FedEx are used to transport the items.

5. eBay makes nothing out of the GSP, all funds go to Pitney Bowes.

6. I pointed out condition 3.d of the GSP user agreement but he said that in the event that a buyer feels that they have paid import duties that are not due, eBay will "work with the buyer" to sort out the matter. This falls well short of a categorical assurance.

For the record, does anyone here actually believe point 5? I certainly don't!

He was aware of the fact that there are problems and he suggested that I contact eBay corporate headquarters to express my concern. I pointed out that the charges raised for gold coins are fraudulent and that by collecting them, even if it is only for Pitney Bowes, eBay is complicit in the fraud. Moreover, I pointed out that many international buyers would be unaware that they are paying duties inappropriately and Pitney Bowes are pocketing these funds.

He suggested that a US seller could cancel a listing and relist the item without ticking the GSP box but I said that this would involve them in unnecessary and avoidable effort and the way things are at present, international sellers who sign up to the GSP will lose money because they will lose bidders.

In my opinion, since duties do not become payable in the receving country until the goods have entered that country, it seems to me that the whole program is illegal, even on those occasions where the duty calculation would be correct.

He accepted that there were indeed problems and I said that rather than corporate headquarters, I will speak to the FBI tomorrow. I will be calling the London office first.

I will also be calling the Daily Mail, a newspaper that prides itself in fighting for consumer rights when I have amassed sufficient evidence to tantalise a reporter.

In the meantime, anybody who has been ripped off, should call their local eBay who should put them through to the USA and then we will know whether there is any real assistance forthcoming.

CAVEAT EMPTOR, never truer than now.
Community Member
Answered

I Have also just read the global shipping program aggreement between Ebay and Pitney bowes. As a buyer from New Zealand i find it just another rip off and I will no longer buy from any seller advertising Customs and duty paid.

1, There is no duty or GST on any item imported privately into New Zealand where the value including shipping is under NZ$400 including freight.

2, With Pitney Bowes charges added an item of NZ$300 is incuring NZ$100 in customs charges which are not paid if the item is sent USPS

3, This aggreement is bad for smaller lower priced items upto about US$350 inc freight to New Zealand

4, NZ customs service do not collect GST less than NZ$60, With Pitney Bowes charges often items far lower than NZ$60 GST and not requiring duty or GST are bumped up and you end up paying twice for your shipping on top of the shipping charge listed on the auction.

5, I love shopping on Ebay USA but now I have very limited shopping oportunities fas so many sellers are offering this stupid Global Shipping Program.

6. What charges are Pitney Bowes adding to the item purchased for their efforts and this is not published. Should not all charges be listed and open, not a secret grab here grad there. 

7, One thing I forgot since this is and Agreement between ebay and Pitney Bowes what does eBay get out of it there must be commision or other kickback to make it work ebay going into this agreement

If anyone else has views on there own countries policies or any other Kiwi's who shop on ebay who have had a similar experience

Community Member
Answered

I agree. For the price Pitney Bowes Inc. ask, the item may as well book a seat on a plane  to its destination. They charge custom taxes where they do not exist and even a low price item may triple in price, plus shipping may be a lengthy process. Astonishingly, there are several sellers who still use it. I think that this scheme to milk as much money as possible out of buyers is out of order, and affects  sellers too. Ebay should not allow this to happen.

Community Member
Answered
My 'experience' so far as a buyer... Bought a second hand toy 8 days ago 230 bucks incl shipping. At payment I'm also asked for another 65 bucks Hmmmmm. 1, second hand toys/even Her Majesties Government haven't got round to charging Duty on these but a huge amount has been arbitrarily added and I wasn't given the option or opt out of paying this. 2, I can't find any evidence that any duty had been paid anywhere so I'm assuming it hasn't been and Paypal/EBay/Pitney Bowes have just trousered the money. 3, Goods not delivered yet, no tracking issued Yet USPS Priority (half the price) would have had it here in London in typically 4 days. Possibly this system is good for US vendors in the short term. However it's seems to me there Must be easier ways to alienate your customer Base. If you don't want to be answering lots of Less than amused emails and wading through less than glowing feedback probably best to avoid or at least warn your potential bidders in your listing. :-)
Community Member
Answered

I am a canadian buyer,  and  i have never seen fees as outrageous as the global shipping and customs on top of that,  its a complete scam making $ for pitney bowes,  I was looking at a toy (used) that is 59$ but they wanted 91 $ to ship and 29 for customs???  its canada not Siberia,  I am a mile away from detroit on the canadian side,   this will for sure discourage alot of buyers.

mubeard
Community Member
Answered

As a UK buyer, I ignore any sellers that use the Global Shipping Program. Some goods I purchase are not subject to UK duty, yet it is quoted in the listing. This does not suggest that an effort is made to correctly ascertain applicable fees based on category of goods and destination, and it would be valid to question what actually happens to fees collected in these cases.

I am a hobby purchaser and frankly would rather deal personally with a seller rather than through another company who will also wish to make a profit on the transaction.

The only effect of the GSP for me is to reduce the number of US sellers that I would be prepared to buy from.

Community Member
Answered

From a UK buyer

Firstly I am only going to pay import Tax once the item reaches UK shores and more importantly only to the Border agency, the UK goverment office, who collect it on British soil.

Secondly the items are shipped by  this global shipping programme use the cheapest couriers, not Royal mail or Parcelforce, but very poor independent van drivers who don't care much about their precious cargo! So I don't know how you can get 5* for shipping.

Thirdly the forums here are full of warnings to buyers not to touch an item on this global shipping programme. Complaints go from double tax payable to the item just not arrivng.

I and many other ebayers will not be buying from this programme.

I hope this helps.

Community Member
Answered

I just had a bad experience with Ebay Global Shipping.  It was the first (and last time) I used them.  I tried to ship an empty 1-inch clear glass perfume/snuff bottle from the US to the UK.  I shipped it off to the Ebay Global Shipping site in Kentucky.  I tried to track it but there was no info at all, not even that my P.O. received the package, and I had taken it myself there.  I called Ebay Global Shipping several times but they had no details either.  Then I get a message that Ebay had refunded my customer.  I was told that the item was considered "restricted" and that Pitney Bowes had "liquidated" my package; therefore I would not be responsible for reimbursing the buyer.  So I'm not out of any money but my buyer did not get his item for Christmas and the rare antique perfume bottle was "liquidated"--what does that mean?  Nobody at Ebay Global Shipping could give me satisfactory answer about why my item was considered restricted or how it had been liquidated.  Do you think there could be some negligence or corruption involved?

Community Member
Answered

I have just experienced a transaction with pitney bowes and its a huge farce.

Background, I am in australia and the seller in the US.
The seller was unaware of this additional charge being made on his goods until he closely re-examined the listing.

I would have paid for the goods and shipping directly to the seller but he would not have got any money from the pitney bowes payment. The seller than posts the goods to australia and they would have arrived here.

Australia (and many other countries) have no customs involvement in transactions under $1000 dollars, and even then if it is over $1000 I am totally unaware of how they would get involved, expecially as the seller has no contact or idea of who or what this scam is. Cant say i blame the pitney company, they are just getting money for nothing, the porblem lies with ebay who are simply trying to raise unjust revenue from un-suspecting purchasers.

I had encountered difficulty asking the US based sellers for sensible shipping prices in the recent past and now I am clear as to how and what is going on.

So in order to buy from the US and ship to another counrey you should ask the seller to relist the item without the 3rd party involvement, this way they will be able to list the item without the scam charge....

Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]

I live in the UK andI have purchased 2 pre-owned radio tubes from a US seller.  When checking my PayPal account I see I have been charged $24.00 IMPORT CHARGES.  But there are NO IMPORT CHARGES in the UK for pre-owned goods, nor is there any VAT on such goods.   How can I contact Pitney Bowes to inform them. US seller will loose a lot of UK customers if this charge continues.

8728michel
Community Member
Answered

February 6, 2014
Hello,

PITNEY BOWES IS A JOKE, A COMPLETE SCAM.

I am in agreement with this commentary, January 26, I bought two ebay items, the first sent by USPS, the other by "Pitney bowes" I received today be sent by USPS, the other object, I do not always know where it is! And it cost me double in transport!
Precision, I'm in France, there is no recourse against this company if I do not receive my item.

Community Member
Answered

As a buyer, I'm horrified by the much more expensive postage now charged because some sellers are using a third party to "assist" with getting the item to their buyer. Ebay and Pitney Bowes are the only winners here, because sellers who use this system, and buyers who buy from sellers using this system, are paying much more for postage, "handling" and often "import" charges which don't exist. I'm fed up with being ripped off, I won't be buying any more items from sellers who subscribe to this extra money making idea by ebay. USPS has made a generally good job of getting parcels to buyers, of course there is the odd problem, but if buyers and sellers agree to use priority mail, we get receipts and it's easy to track parcels. Why on earth would a seller post an item to a third party to post on to the buyer? Ridiculous. So for me, I'll be ignoring any sellers who use any form of third party for their postage, because the extra cost is significant to buyers. In my case, postage cost $10, Pitney Bowes pocketed another $18, okay - my fault that time, next time I'm just going to be more careful who I buy from. And if Ebay continues with these bright ideas, perhaps I'll just close my account....

Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]

I am in the UK and will never buy from anyone who subscribes to the fraudulent GSP.

Firstly it raises charges irrespective of whether the items are dutiable or taxable on import to the UK or the EEC. Gold coins, bullion and rough rock for lapidaries are but three examples that are completely exempt but it is obvious that the first two could and do see huge charges in the name of the GSP.

if you are looking for a down side, it is obvious that the seller will receive fewer bids but eBay has estimated that it will make more by receiving the spurious duties charged on each item than it would have done if the item had been bid up to its perceived value without duties.

I spoke to HM Customs and Revenue in the UK this morning,

They confirm that some countries have an arrangement to collect duties at source and pay directly to the UK authorities and confirm that the USA is NOT one of those countries. They further confirm that irrespective of what eBay may have collected in the USA, any UK citizen importing into the UK will be required to pay the tax and duty applicable to the item and a charge will be raised by HM Customs and Revenue as appropriate and confirm that there is neither duty or tax or gold coins, bullion or rough rock required for lapidary purposes, to name just those we discussed. Any duty become payable at the point of entry into the UK.

Since the charges raised by eBay and collected by eBay are not collected on behalf of the UK tax authorities, it necessarily folows that the UK tax authorities will not be refunding duties it has not received in the first place.

I next suggested that I could buy a watch on eBay's US site and was told that irrespective of what eBay may have charged me under the guise of import duties, I would be required to pay the appropriate customs duty - I believe 2.5% - and VAT on the item, including duty and postage at the rate of 20%.

I did speak to smeone on eBay UK by live chat on Friday night and was promised a reply from the Global Shipping team within 72 hours but that won't happen - this is eBay!

All in all, what is going on here is is one gigantic fraud and fraudulent misrepresentation by eBay and I will be raising the matter with the FBI.

CAVEAT EMPTOR, never truer than now.
marfousha
Community Member
Answered
Sellers: PLEASE UNSUBSCRIBE from the Ridiculous GPS program! You are loosing bidders, and lining Pitney Bowes' fat pockets!!! Look on their webpage - something like 10 BILLION $ annual profit! *I cannot bid on your items as a Canadian, because of the criminal "import charges". Items used to come to me just fine, for under $10.00 to Canada, by 1st class, if only the seller was willing to make that extra trip to the post. Never one lost! EBAY: WHY OH WHY??? Please undo!
Community Member
Answered

I'm surprised by the value showed in front of the Import charges field. 45 dollars for a clock that is sold for 150 ? That's just impossible, 20%VAT is the maximum (for < 150 euros/USD210). I read a bit about the GPS program. I've the feeling that it is just a way of making US sellers less stressed when they ship out of the US, but they'll soon discover than there are no advantage for them.

*Without* this option the seller is never involved with any foreign taxes: these are locally charged, and the responsability of the buyer.
GPS is a bad thing, it adds an unnecessary opaque company in the middle of the transaction and is over expensive.

morfeusdreams
Community Member
Answered

Hi there, I write from Italy, and I'm having the first bad and awful incident with ebay after more then 10 years using this beautiful tool.

With GSP, you, the seller acting from the US, ship the item to a global shipping provider located in the US decided by Pitney Bowes Inc and the global shipping provider ships the item to me, the buyer.

They say that I receive international tracking at no additional charge and pay any applicable import charges upfront. There are no additional charges at delivery. Of course, I have paid all in advance and a lot too! I'll see an estimate of the international shipping charges and any import charges in the item listing.The final charges appear at checkout. The final charges are exactly the same as the extimated! Never are more or less, when I handle the customs hassle by myself I never spent more then 18 dollars.

Ebay sayes that Using a global shipping provider enables sellers to offer international shipping at competitive rates. But all this is not true.

Here how the things go:

Using the Global Shipping Program Pitney Bowes Inc when I win the bid I have to pay the internal shipping to a Pitney Bowes Inc provider. In fact, the seller receive the money for the item plus about $17 USD or more, depending from the weigth and size of the item to ship to the global shipping provider chosebn by Pitney Bowes Inc.

Then I have to pay the international shipping costs, much more than USPS rates plus the import charges that are fixed on estimated base, resulting usually much more than the real import charges.

The same item, I buy often from several seller 2 or 3 copies, shipped by USPS international registered mail cost me $57.75, + 10 to 18USD of import charges, often less.

Using instead GSP it costs me 81,27 ($64.28 international shipping + $17 USD internal shipping) + 37,07 import charges eventually GSP costs to me 118,34 USD !!!

Im trying to get refunded by Pitney Bowes Inc, as the seller agrees with me to ship with USPS, but the have offered no support email in paypal.

This is the end of the international bidding if the sellers will use GSP. Look at this picture:

Shipping options GSP

Community Member
Answered
As a German buyer it's painful. Shipping charges go up a lot because ebay and Pitney Bowes also want to earn additional money through this program. Also delivery time is longer because at least one additional shipping company is involved in the whole process. I'll avoid sellers using this program...
Community Member
Answered
Hello sellers,
I will not buy anything that you ship through the global shipping program. I have always paid from $10 to $20 for shipping from the US. I am in Canada. Now I am forced to pay about $10 to $20 more to a third party carrier to cover fees that were never there to begin with. My Canadian buddies are only buying from sellers who ship directly to us. You have just lost us as customers.
Community Member
Answered

Hello,

I live in Montreal, Canada and just bought a doll on ebay from a US seller who had this 3rd party shipping.  I emailed the seller and made arrangements for her to ship directly.  What a nightmare!!!  She told me to purchase it, then she would send me an invoice with total and then I could pay.  Not possible!!!  When you check out, there are NO options.  I didn't even complete the transaction (click the 'complete purchase' button) and I switched screens to see if the listing had been taken off (which it had) but then when I went to pay pal to check recent purchases, there it was!  Pitney Bowes effectively took $20.00 from my account on top of the sellers shipping fees!!!.  Along the way, there were no options to deselect or change the shipping selection.  I don't think I need to state the obvious... I will not support PB in their 'highway robbery' business model! My advice to ebay sellers... don't be greedy... earn your shipping/handling fees by putting in the work.  I can assure you, I will not even look at a seller's item if they use this 3rd party shipping service.  It MAY (did not compare) work for buyers shopping from countries across the oceans, or if you are selling biohazzardous products, but for Canada - USA transactions, not a chance!  It was a DOLL!!!!!!

Community Member
Answered

My experience is this .. Live in New Zealand bought a guitar .. seller was paid but guitar was sent to pitneybowes international mailing centre KY. I was sent a letter by ebay to say the guitar could not be delivered because the guitar was a restricted item and could not be

imported into New Zealand. New Zealand Customs told me no problem just that any item made of wood has to be inspected as per

usual. Ebay said I would get a full refund .. within 72 hours .. no refund has arrived. Called ebay USA they dont know why the guitar could not be sent or why it was considered to be a ESTRICTED item. They will look into it ? The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. My Credit card shows Money going to Pitnetbowes and to Banditnga but there is no record of any transactions on my Pay Pal Account ? Strange .. This is a rip off and at best a very sloppy operation. America as a country may wonder why China is going to take you to the cleaners .. well MONOPOLY is a boring game try the free market .. ASIA because I am sorry to say as much as I love you all in the USA you have lost the plot.

daisy-jack
Community Member
Answered

Here's one i can't sort out and maybe somebody can answer or help.

I bought a vase for $989 from the USA, i had not noticed the GSP added to the listing, paid my invoice of what i thought was $1031 to find i had actually paid $1402, i'd been charged a massive stealth tax of $371, the vase should have been subject to 5% duty as it is a handpainted handsigned piece of art, i tried everything to cancel my payment but alas to late. I received no invoice no nothing to show what i'd paid duty and shipping - surely illegal?. Anyway worse still, the vase arrived and is not as described, seller had sold as perfect but it was damaged, he refunded me $375 so i have now paid $614 for the vase, even if i can't get my duty changed from the original invoice how can i get a partial refund on the $371 paid. eBay told me i had to take a case out against the seller and that once resoved they would then sort out the duty, just spoke to them for half an hour and the lady i spoke to could not grasp what i was talking about, she said she had forwarded details to the appropriate department and they would be in touch in the next 72 hours.

This is so frustrating when you are trying to run a business, i've spent a total of 2 hours on the phone over this and sent dozens of emails.

Community Member
Answered

To add another user experience, this time from a german customer: I recently bought some shop manuals for one of my cars. These manuals were sent via global shipping program from the USA to Germany. There was nothing to complain about.

Shipping took 15 running days (including Christmas and New Year's Day) and the shipping fee was veeery reasonable (some $20 for 17lbs of books). The package was deliverd right to my doorstep, no messing around with the (not so) local customs office (which is about 30mls away).

According to the two mailing labels on the package, it was sent via USPS from the seller in Michigan to the eBay shipping center in Kentucky and via Hermes (german shipper) from Duesseldorf(Germany) to my home; so all customs matters had to be taken care of before the package left Duesseldorf. There was also a note from PitneyBowes Inc. in the package that it was opened and re-sealed.

Community Member
Answered

The Global Shipping Program is a game of poor taste with a view to obtaining illicit profits!

It is of extreme violence and lack of consideration what they are practicing with many old and loyal customers! The number of individuals affected until today is immense.

This is surely a scam perpetrated by Pitney Bowes and fully supported by eBay.

I've also been eaten by them!

Community Member
Answered

I have recently had avery disappointing experience with the Ebay GSP.  My seller checked compinace with the GSP rule. Ebay also sent back theirmeasured dimensions and despite my package being compkiant my item was rejected as oversized and will be liquidated by the GSP (whatever that means). I did receive a full refund but the item was very unique so the refund is no that much value.My seller has not lost any money so he does not care.

I was not asked if I would pay any additional shipping and my queries to Ebay are not properly answered. It seems that there is no way of contacting Pitney Bowes to retrieve the item for which I'd be happy to pay the original price plus shipping and any additional amount.

It seems to me that any corrupt employee of Pitney Bowes can reject items that they want as non compliant with the GSP and then acquire them for themselves through the GSP liquidation program with impunity.

I wont be purchasing from sellers that use this program in future.

Its pretty poor Ebay

nscarlett1450 wrote:

I just read thru the user agreement for ebay's new global shipping program in association with Pitney Bowes and would like to know from some experienced international shippers if this is a good idea.

On the surface it sounds OK.  Sellers would open their items to international buyers and ship to a US based clearing house run by Pitney Bowes.  Seller's responsibily would end once the item was accepted by Pitney Bowes.  They would then forward the item to the buyer and accept all responsibility for it's safe delivery and custom forms.  Sellers are guarenteed 5 stars for shipping and handling as well as for shipping time if 1 day shipping is used. 

If anyone has also read the user agreement and can point out a down side or pit fall, I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks 

Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]

Through very painful experience, I would suggest you DO NOT sell or buy using the GSP.

Not only are the customs charges way, way overpriced (for the buyer) but Pitney Bowes are the most

incompetent bunch of muppets I've had the displeasure to deal with.

On three occasions now, I've had posters damaged by Pitney Bowes tearing open the packaging without

any care whatsoever... and you know it's them because they kindly leave you a "Notice of Parcel Check".

Avoid at all costs - you are far better off using USPS Express (or Priority) Mail International... it's cheaper

and the packages are better taken care of.

morfeusdreams
Community Member
Answered

Here you find all about this Global Shipping Program:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

cute.shoes
Community Member
Answered

Never heard of that.

Is that something ebay supports?

Is there a link on ebay's site with that information?

nscarlett1450
Community Member
Answered

It was on the top of my summary page but it won't let me copy and paste the address.