eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

newenglandnew
Community Member

SHIPPING ADDRESS SAYS INVALID

So I had a good sale to Turkey but when I go to print the label it says something about 45 characters in the address line.  I will not be covered by seller protection or something.

I emailed the buyer and he said he had never had this problem before but he changed his address to fit.

NOW it says Invalid Address.

So how am I supposed to ship the item?   Does he need to somehow contact ebay and register his address or something?  So that it matches what they have on hand?  

Also, my one day handling time has been exceeded by this delay so now I am not eligible for seller protection?  This is getting so frustrating that I almost feel like canceling the sale.  His address is too long.  :smileysad:    Thank you in advance for any help.

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

Re: SHIPPING ADDRESS SAYS INVALID

in reply to newenglandnew

Unless you are sending the item by Express mail, or courier service, you have no  seller protection anyway, so forget seller protection and just send the item off to the address the buyer sent you. As you are using FCMI there is no delivery confirmation or tracking making seller protection unworkable.

Ebay has created this huge myth of seller protection, such that it paralyses the brains of otherwise intelligent people.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Please use plain text.
animation_gallery
Community Member

in reply to afantiques
I now refund the buyers when it says invalid shipping address.

Seems like when i adjust the address to be valid, which you must do to print a a label, these items are lost in the mail. Most recently this happened with an iPad i sold.

Now i have a buyer who is mad at me telling me it's my problem that his address is invalid, and that i can't ship to it.

Beware shipping anything expensive to international invalid address.
Please use plain text.
barnswallows_collectiblecloth
Community Member

in reply to animation_gallery

Paypal sent an address in Cyrillic, which USPS will not accept. PayPal told me to translate it myself......  So, I refunded. I still question why PayPal sends these addresses. PayPal: "but the address is valid in Russia".

Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to afantiques

afantiques wrote:

Unless you are sending the item by Express mail, or courier service, you have no  seller protection anyway, so forget seller protection and just send the item off to the address the buyer sent you. As you are using FCMI there is no delivery confirmation or tracking making seller protection unworkable.

Ebay has created this huge myth of seller protection, such that it paralyses the brains of otherwise intelligent people.

So there is no seller protection when selling Internationally? Thanks for your input!

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
green-night
Community Member

I now refund the buyers when it says invalid shipping address.

Good luck to you.  Refusing to complete the sale for this reason is a recipe for disaster if you ask me (I frequently get 'invalid addresses'). 

It is usually not diiffuclt to manipulate the address to get it to print, either by moving part of the address to a different line, or modifying the address somehow (abbeviations, or just deleting unnecessary characters).  

I have actually "complained" to Ebay about this several times.  The way that addresses are formatted allow a buyer to enter an address that is "invalid" when a seller goes to print the label.     I think Ebay should fix this. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Have you tried Googling the address?

As you know, your original problem was because the buyer's address didn't fit into eBay Labels' template. That doesn't make it an undeliverable address.

Then your buyer tried to reformat the address to make all the characters fit, and that seems to be causing you issues now.

The key is to try to break the address down into the key components that most addresses have, regardless of country:

1) The street name and number

2) The municipality

3) The province

4) The postal code

Some countries vary this formula somewhat. For instance, Ireland has no provinces (I don't think they have postal codes, either). Japanese postal addresses often include the prefecture, which is kind of like counties in America. Some big cities have districts that you have to enter as part of the postal address. The key is to address the package so that those elements are not split between separate lines. As long as they're distinguishable like that, you should be okay.

Googling the address might help in that you might turn up sources that will show you how the address should be formatted so that the Turkish post will recognize it (if the various elements are separated by commas or line breaks, there's your guide right there).

If eBay Labels continues to be stupid, you might just have to address it manually and take it to the post office.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to barnswallows_collectiblecloth

barnswallows_collectiblecloth wrote:

Paypal sent an address in Cyrillic, which USPS will not accept. PayPal told me to translate it myself......  So, I refunded. I still question why PayPal sends these addresses. PayPal: "but the address is valid in Russia".

Are you sure that USPS won't accept it? I think that as long as the country name is written in the Latin alphabet so that USPS knows it's going to Russia, it should be fine.

My parents used to receive letters from China all the time with the delivery address written in English. China Post seemed to accept them without question.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to thallidguy

thallidguy wrote:

Are you sure that USPS won't accept it? I think that as long as the country name is written in the Latin alphabet so that USPS knows it's going to Russia, it should be fine.

It looks like the IMM was changed at the beginning of the year, Thallidguy.

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22351/html/updt_005.htm

Addresses in Russian, Greek, Arabic, Hebrew, Cyrillic, Japanese, or Chinese characters must bear an interline translation in English of the addressee’s full legal name (see Note above) and complete address (including country). If the English translation is not known, the foreign language words must appear in roman characters (either printed or script). 

Redonkulous, but it is what it is.

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to marnotom!

Three lines of Farsi would baffle the counter clerk, but Osama bin Laden, the Hideout, North Pakistan written between the lines would enable them to tip off the ever watchful spooks.

Or if you are writing to anyone the USA does not like very much. Like the British.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Please use plain text.
ekbustad
Community Member

in reply to marnotom!

marnotom! wrote:

thallidguy wrote:

It looks like the IMM was changed at the beginning of the year, Thallidguy.

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22351/html/updt_005.htm

Addresses in Russian, Greek, Arabic, Hebrew, Cyrillic, Japanese, or Chinese characters must bear an interline translation in English of the addressee’s full legal name (see Note above) and complete address (including country). If the English translation is not known, the foreign language words must appear in roman characters (either printed or script). 

Redonkulous, but it is what it is.

So Thai script, such as อักษรไทย, is OK?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ekbustad

ekbustad wrote:

So Thai script, such as อักษรไทย, is OK?

I guess so!  :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.