eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
How or where do you add international shipping costs to a Best Offer?

I have a lamp listed for $227 with free shipping and Best Offer. I received an offer from Canada, but the shipping costs will be nearly $60. I can't even afford to sell the lamp for $227 if I have to eat $60 in shipping! I tried calling eBay customer service, but the rep spoke very poor, broken English, and she kept telling me how to send a separate invoice through PayPal. I KNOW how to invoice . . . What I don't know is how to add international shipping when responding to a Best Offer. Is the international shipping cost part of the Best Offer? Or will the shipping automatically add at checkout? Any suggestions? Should I remove International from everything I sell that has a Best Offer attached? Thanks!

Accepted Solutions: 2
pi_r_square
Community Member
Answered
in reply to susiepc1202

If I accept a Best Offer, the shipping must be part of that amount.

Partially correct.

The Best Offer is for the item iteself.  Shipping/Handling is in addition to the BO.  If you accept a BO, the winner will be billed the sum of the item cost plus your stated shipping fee.

You need to read this, for the real eBay policy, not as misinterpreted by eBay CSRs.

== quote ==

:For listings in which the seller has specified shipping costs for the item, the Best Offer price includes only the listed item. For listings in which the shipping costs aren't specified, the buyer can choose to include shipping costs in their offer.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/best-offer.html#fine

== unquote ==

So, if your listing included shipping costs, those costs are not negotiable, and are in addition to the amount of the offer.

Please return to your question soon, and click "Accept as Solution" for any helpful answers, from any responder. If you were asked for clarification, please add your comments very quickly -- otherwise the responders may be unable to give further help
pi_r_square
Community Member
Answered
in reply to susiepc1202

What happened to the CSRs??? They used to be really helpful! 

I am afraid that eBay contracted out that service ... to the lowest bidder ... with the expected results.

The Answer Center, and to some extent, the Discussion Boards, remain the best place to get fast / accurate answers to most questions.

Please return to your question soon, and click "Accept as Solution" for any helpful answers, from any responder. If you were asked for clarification, please add your comments very quickly -- otherwise the responders may be unable to give further help
Other Answers: 5
pi_r_square
Community Member
Answered
in reply to susiepc1202

In a Best Offer situation, shipping is NOT negotiable!

susiepc1202
Community Member
Answered
in reply to susiepc1202

Hmmmm . . . Outsourcing customer service for sellers. One more clear example of how much they really do appreciate us sellers. Forget these stupid sweepstakes and give us back customer service reps who can help us to grow our businesses! Do they really need to widen their profit margin that much? C'mon now!

And these new CSRs can't even answer the simplest questions! I had two give me completely wrong answers to a question that's answered right in the Best Offer description! (Thanks for finding it for me.)  Too bad the CSRs couldn't read it.

I'm hoping the president (if re-elected) can get through that measure that rewards companies for keeping their CSRs in this country, and penalizes those that out-source because having CSRs who don't speak English is beyond ridiculous!

susiepc1202
Community Member
Answered
in reply to susiepc1202

Thank you so much pi_r_square! That makes so much more sense!

I can't believe TWO separate CSRs told me different, that even though I had international shipping costs specified in the listing, the Best Offer over-rode those!

The first one even said I needed to send a separate PayPal invoice for the shipping costs after the buyer verbally agreed to pay them!! I'll admit to some gullibility, but I'd never be stupid enough to buy into that one. Grrrrrr . . .

What happened to the CSRs??? They used to be really helpful! 

cute.shoes
Community Member
Answered
in reply to susiepc1202

You are going to have to DECLINE that best offer.

You can't change any postage amount in a best offer.

If you are willing to ship Internationally - you MUST HAVE a shipping cost to EVERY COUNTRY that you ship to -- IN your listing.

or

If you DO NOT ship Internationally - why don't you HAVE your BLOCKS set properly to BLOCK members in other countries from bidding / buying?

Go to My eBay > ACCOUNT tab > SITE PREFERENCES > Buyer requirements
Block buyers who:  (and choose any/all of these)

* Don't have a PayPal account   (99% of the scammers don't)
* Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 Month(s)
(automatically blocks proven deadbeats)
* Have a primary shipping address in a location I don't ship to
(blocks foreign countries from bidding)
* Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 6 Month(s)
* Have a feedback score of -1 or lower (that's minus 1)

susiepc1202
Community Member
Answered
in reply to susiepc1202

I DO have international shipping costs in the listing. But according to eBay, they don't matter with a Best Offer - The Best Offer made must have the shipping costs included. I've spoken with 2 different eBay reps now, and they've both said the same thing - If I accept a Best Offer, the shipping must be part of that amount.