eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
Community Member
How long does it take for a USPS First Class package to arrive from U.S. to U.K.? Customer filed a claim against me. Package shipped 8/17/12

Package was shipped to U.K. 8/17/12. Customer filed a dispute with PayPay on 9/6 and then filed a claim on 9/10. Just wondering how long it takes a USPS First Class package to arrive from U.S. to U.K. Also, I can prove that I shipped with my receipt from post office, but PayPal is telling me that I have to prove delivery. This will be the 2nd time in the last year that I have had money taken from my PayPal account. The first one was definately fraud. Worried about losing more money.

Other Answers: 5
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kidfashions

1-3 weeks, usually.  Its been a few years since I shipped to the UK.

A receipt proves someone bought postage, but not that the postage was used or the item shipped.

You must be able to prove delivery, with online viewable delivery confirmation.  Items over $250 require a signature confirm.  Without it, you lose item not received disputes.

Upper right corner on this page, click 'customer support'. Type your question into the input box, and click the 'search' button.

This will answer 99% of all questions posted on this board.
momof3boys11
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kidfashions

Yes, when shipping a package, no matter where its going, ALWAYS  get Delivery Confirmation. The post office will give you a reciept with the delivery confirmation # on it. If this shall happen again, you can provide that information and you wont have Ebay taking money out of your paypal account. If you purchase the shipping online, for prority shipping, you get delivery confirmation free. Something you want to remember.

angelgirl327
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kidfashions

Whether you ship across the street or around the world you should have delivery confirmation or signature confirmation to prove the item was delivered.  This is the only thing that will protect you against a false claim that the item wasn't received.  Having a receipt that shows you paid for postage is nothing - someone who is dishonest could buy the postage and then never mail the item.

darkburst58
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kidfashions
Kid, to maintain Seller Protection, you must ship with online viewable proof of delivery, as stated above. Priority Mail international provides that to most countries, but sometimes you must ship with Express Int'l. The buyers must be willing to pay for these services which are more costly than First Class. If you continue to sell internationally, you should familiarize yourself with Seller Protection policy. Another option is to purchase insurance, to protect yourself against loss or damage. Refund your buyer, if you haven't done so. Message your buyer to please contact you, or send payment, if they do receive their item. Sometimes honest buyers will send payment, after receiving a refund, if their item finally shows up. You can block international sales, if you prefer. Good luck to you on your future sales!
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kidfashions

I cannot say for sure how long it takes, but I can tell you that I have heard this is a common kind of scam practice that is happening, where a customer will order an international package, say it never arrived and then demand a refund.  The safest way to ensure that someone overseas will not try to claim the item never arrived is to send it registered mail. Registered mail is considerably more expensive generally, and requires that you use a special kind of non-glossy tape, so I would visit the post office nearest you and inquire about the tape (staples has it, too) and the post office may be able to give you a pricing list for different shipping options. I believe it is $14.00 to register the item and then you are charged shipping costs by weight on top of that, so this is what you would have to charge the customer, but registered mail has the package signed every time it changes hands every step of the way and ensures for you and the customer that the package did arrive. I would also contact Ebay or paypal and find out what kinds of proof they want and will accept. Good luck! Scammers suck!