eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

What is the difference between crewel, needlepoint, embroidery, etc?

I ran across a bag full of kits and although some of them specify crewel or crosstich, most of them just say "stitchery". I know nothing about sewing crafts, so how do I tell which type of stitchery they are to know what catagory to list them in, and what to put in the title? Here is an example:
http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/homey/mvc-004s.4619327.jpg
Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to donslin
It's not easy to explain to someone who doesn't know what stitcheries should look like but here's an attempt.

Embroidery is fancy stitches done with threads and crewel is the same stitches done in wool yarn. Needlepoint is done on an open grid, sort of like heavy netting all the way to fine netting. Needle lace is done on similar netting but does not make a solid picture.

Cross stitch is done on squares with holes in the four corners and looks like little x. Printed cross stitch will have the x patterns printed on them.

To complicate things, there are some kits that are printed pictures that have spaces for embroidery to accent the picture. I'd advise you to google the various names and look at examples as these arts all look different.
Please use plain text.
decorating_is_my_game
Community Member

in reply to donslin
donslin,

if you would like to, you can email me pics of your kits and i can try to identify what is what for you.

T&S KKC member # 66.6
Please use plain text.
decorating_is_my_game
Community Member

in reply to donslin
donslin,

i see you have already listed them.

good luck!

T&S KKC member # 66.6
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to donslin
Thanks for the offer, but you're right, I listed them last night. I did know what cross stitch was, and I basically went with the premis that if it had heavy/thick yarn or wool and the pattern fabric was tightly woven it was crewel. I was very specific in listing the contents, so hopefully nobody will buy a kit and be disappointed or feel it was misrepresented.
Do you see any of them I have listed that seem to be obviously listed incorrectly?
Thanks again for the offer.
Please use plain text.