eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Happy Kwanza

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

auctionsrfunjanet
Community Member

Hand Made Afghans question

Fellow crafters:
Is it true that handmade afghans just don't get attention on ebay? I have several donated afghans that I've put out on ebay in the last month. Very little hits and of course no sales.

I know that these afghans in supplies alone cost about $60 not to mention the time into it.

Are there any tricks of the trade you can suggest for getting noticed in terms of selling these afghans. It's for charity.
Thanks Janet
Community Member

in reply to auctionsrfunjanet
just sneaking in to learn a few things too. I make them every blue moon too.
Community Member

I wish I had some good advice for you. I have sold over the years quite a few. I think it just really depends on the time of year. I usually start my afghan sales about October and will run thru december.

I take mine to craft fairs also. I can sell maybe one. People just don't want to pay the price. I usually take the price of the yarn and then double it to start out my bid price. If I had to add in my time it just wouldn't be worth it.

I've actually had pretty good luck selling my crochet items until July. I haven't sold a thing since. Thought I would give it a break until maybe the middle of September. Things just need to cool off a bit. When it's a 100 degrees out people are just not thinking of wrapping up in an afghan.

I wish you luck.

One more thing. When you list it do you state it is for charity and for what charity? Do you use the icon for charity?

Cheryl
auctionsrfunjanet
Community Member

Hi Cheryl,
thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing too. Way too hot to begin thinking about afghans. Yes, we are an approved charity through giving works/mission fish so the little flag shows up. Plus, I also note that it's for charity.
Have a good week,
Janet
Community Member

I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully things will pick up in Oct. Just keep on trying.

Cheryl