eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Happy Thanksgiving

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

kennedy pope john xxiii painting

I have an oil painting that depicts john kennedy and pope john xxiii planting seeds. According to the jfk library it is a well known picture. My painting is signed L Wiessner. Most likely L Wiessner painted a copy of the original. I do not know anything about L Wiessner. Does anyone know who the original artist was?
Please use plain text.
bamaj1
Community Member

Re: kennedy pope john xxiii painting

in reply to baltcharm
If the JFK library knows this painting, have you sent a letter (a surface snailmail kind of letter, with a stamp and maybe a SASE for a reply, NOT an email) asking for information?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to baltcharm
I just emailed the jfk library. They told me they have received inquires before about the image. MY email was the first that mentioned an artist. The library gave me the email address to a Kennedy collector's club. The club director or president was familiar with the image but did not know who was the original artist.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to baltcharm
Hi,

Have you tried sending the Kennedy Library a photo of your painting? There are no other markings on it other than the signature? I have heard of oil painting kits, reproductions of paintings.......do you know how old the painting is? Sounds nice. Good luck.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to baltcharm
sorry for the late reply but i just checked the board today. No i have not sent a photo of the painting to the jfk library but that is a good idea. the painting is on a board i think what is called masonite. on the back of the board there might have been something written but it is covered up with paint. i think the painting is from the 60's. i also have another painting that is signed l wiessner. that one is bigger 2feet by 4 feet on masonite of a snowy mountain scene with cottages and a lone skier coming down one of the moutains. when i went to artprice.com and placed the name wiessner in the search a lily wiessner zilcher popped up. i do not know if that is the artist who painted the ones i have and is signed l wiessner.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to baltcharm
Hi Balticharm,
I have been thinking........I did a google search and turned up nothing on the painting or the artist. Not too surprised there. I had an idea. I have been to the JFK museum up in Hyannis quite a few times. It is a small museum but the ladies that work there are knowledgeable about the family. Maybe they have some insight about the painting too. Whenever I visit, they share their stories with me. :smileyhappy: I know that I have seen the painting somewhere too and I am not sure if it was in the Kennedy Library in Boston or in the JFK Museum in Hyannis. I am a Kennedy memorabilia collector but not an expert but any stretch of the imagination. How did you come about obtaining the paintings from L Wiessner? I am curious now too. :smileyhappy: I did a search for my grandfather years ago and met up with lots of dead ends but finally found a museum in Florida that had the painting in an exhibit years before, the artist happened to be a "maybe" relative......keep at your search, if there is not much value to the painting at least you will have an answer. Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to baltcharm
to strike-emount
sorry again for the late reply but i have not ckecked the board since my last reply in july. the l wiessner painting of the snowy mountain scene i acquired back in jan. or feb. at an estate sale in baltimore, maryland. the kennedy pope john xxiii painting i acquired just in june at a goodwill store also here in baltimore.
i will try to contact the jfk museum in hyannis. hopefully they might have more information on the painting. thank you for your information.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to baltcharm
I wanted to find out if there is a list of all known artist that have painted JFK?

I recently bought an old portrait of JFK at an antique show. It is signed by Genie Davis and is in excellence shape. The canvas and frame look old. The portrait is very life like, has scared me a couple of times (I have it hanging in my hall).

Please use plain text.
6rivets
Community Member

in reply to baltcharm
Not sure what your definition of "old" is, but it does not stand to reason that your painting dates any earlier than the early 1960s.

I am responsible for what I say. I am not responsible for what you hear.
Please use plain text.
borisnewman
Community Member

in reply to baltcharm

Hello.  I saw the original today.  It is in the library in Biglerville, PA, which is right outside Gettysburg. The original artist was an Italian artist. I can't remember his name, but I know it started with an M.

Please use plain text.