eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
jcris549
Community Member

Sword made in Toledo, Spain

Hi,
I have a Sword that was purchased at auction many years ago.
The handle has a strong brass Lionhead grip and is marked:
Voluntarios De La Republica
and F ca De Toledo 1872 on the blade.
I have tried to research this, but with very little luck.
I cerrtaily appreciate if anyone out there were able to give me some info on this?
Thanks
jcris
Please use plain text.
fidbald
Community Member

Re: Sword made in Toledo, Spain

in reply to jcris549
very interesting era and a complete turmoil then. from the late 1860s onwards there were several factions that fought each other. the outcome was a republic La Primera República Española in 1873 that was very weak and split up in several factions; the one side wanted a federal republic with quasi-independent cantons, other ones wanted back the old independent states, certain nationalities (catalans etc.) wanted to become completely independent from Spain etc.
now, those Voluntarios were paid civil regiments, mostly in bigger cities, that should have defended the republic against the church (always with its own mercenaries)and others.
the republic only made it through the year 1894 and was replaced by another regime.

for the maker you can google Fábrica de Toledo.
your sword might as well have ended up in the states via cuba, because there was an independence war going on in the same era (1868-1878).
Please use plain text.
jcris549
Community Member

in reply to jcris549
Thank you so much for this very helpful information. It sure sounds like you know your history.
I will definitely check out a google search.

Thanks Again!!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to jcris549
It also could be a reproduction. Toledo is known for making fine reproductions virtually indistinguishable from their original counterparts. If your sword is in mint condition, it most certainly is a reproduction.
~ Happy is he who can discover the causes of things, for thereby he has mastered all fear, and is throned above fate. -- Goethe ~

Please use plain text.
jcris549
Community Member

in reply to jcris549
Thanks for your response. The blade shows some old surface rust and ware, but I guess it is possible for it to be a reproduction. I am going to try to and locate a shop that might be able to take a look and determine this.
Thanks again, have a good night.
Please use plain text.
fidbald
Community Member

in reply to jcris549
the danger it being a repro is certainly there. I personally have never seen one with that inscription. most replica allude to well known eras, El Cid, the reconquista etc.
Please use plain text.
jcris549
Community Member

in reply to jcris549
Hopefully I can find the right place to bring the sword to determine if it is indeed a repro or not. It is getting quite interesting!!!!!!
Have a Great Day
Please use plain text.
jcris549
Community Member

in reply to jcris549
Hello, I have a sword made in Toledo Spain that has a Brass Lionhead and the grip is marked:
Voluntarious De La Republica and F CA De Toledo 1872 on the blade.
I now have a link with pictures for you folks to take a look at and possibly give me some info on it.
Thanks again for all your help.

http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/ae228/rjcris549/sword/
Please use plain text.
springfld.arsenal
Community Member

in reply to jcris549
It is probably old, but unfortunately the most important photos to tell that, nos. 5 and 6, are very blurry. Try to get some close photos in focus, need to have a macro function.
*************** What follows is sig line*************
I collect fine cannon models, full-size antique cannons and artillery accouterments.
Please use plain text.
jcris549
Community Member

in reply to jcris549
Hi, Thanks for your response. Here are more photos that hopefully will enable you to see a clearer view of some of the details.

http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/ae228/rjcris549/sword/
Please use plain text.
thelmasstuff
Community Member

in reply to jcris549
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.intariamilitaria.com/catalogo%2520abril.htm&ei=j2D8S_S8GsKC8gbF5ZmHBg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBwQ7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dvoluntarios%2Bde%2Bla%2Brepublica%2Btoledo%2Bsword%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGLR_en

This is from some kind of Spanish auction and I got it by googling "Voluntarios de la republica toledo sword." It seems that one by that description sold in 2002 for 295Euro
Please use plain text.
jcris549
Community Member

in reply to jcris549
Thanks for your info. It really is quite interesting what information can be found out there. I find it helpful to hear from you folks as well and see what other information I could gather and then try and make a decision as to where to go from here with the sword.. Thanks again.
Please use plain text.