eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

ourpcsof8
Community Member

NEED HELP w/ ID 1914 German Stein PLEASE

Can anyone please help me with this;
It’s has a Iron cross? Crown “W” 1914 on its pewter lid. Mark on bottom has, SG within a crown, glass has 0.5L on its side. Handle has a Eagle with a crown on its head sitting on a globe. Heavy pewter and glass.
Any ideas ? I cant find any online or on eBay with that kind of lid. Thanks for the help and your time on this one J S.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: NEED HELP w/ ID 1914 German Stein PLEASE

in reply to ourpcsof8
That's a modern version of a WW-1 Royal German Air service stein. The "W" in the Iron Cross stands for Wilhelm, as in Kaiser Wilhelm. The 0.5L means the stein's capacity is 1/2 liter. The crowned eagle is a representation of the Royal German Air Service. The "GS" within the crown is the makers mark.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ourpcsof8
Greetings!

I came across your reply to a members question about their stein and you seem knowlegable about steins. I just got one as well and was wondering about it. Mine is glass with a pewter lid as well but is not simular in design, nor does it have a finial eagle on it. You said theirs was a modern version. About how old would you say it is and how can you tell? Mine is glass with a pewter lid that has a bluish/greenish glass or crystal piece that is part of the lid. The stein has bubbles in the glass. I figured mine was a reproduction because the pewter hinge doesn't have the craftmanship I would expect for something made in Germany or in 1914. Do you think it would be a modern version as well?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ourpcsof8

Firehound,

If you could start your own thread, and include some good, close-up phot's, we will try to help you identify your stein.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ourpcsof8

Hi, Your stein glass was made by Sachsische Glasfabrik and you can look up the mark at www.steinmarks.co.uk/pages/pv.asp?=stein748

Your stein can be viewed (but with Nazi lid marks = $750 ) at

www.oakleaf.com/german_steins.html

The above site deals with German military steins and some of them can be worth serious money.

The only reason I know this is because I have spent the last few hours looking up a similarly marked stein for a friend but my lid is , rather boringly marked "Pabst Whitefish Bay Resort". My friends Grandad ran the resort for Pabst.

You need to look at the makers name on the pewter lid. Mine reads Bruder Thannhauser Munchen (Munich) which I believe is one of the best.

Regards

Please use plain text.
thelmasstuff
Community Member

in reply to ourpcsof8

I recommend The Beer Stein Book by Gary Kersner and Jim Gruhl.  Great info.

Please use plain text.