eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

What Does an Asthma Attack Feel Like?

What does an asthma attack feel like? I see what it says in my textbooks but I'd like to hear from an asthma sufferer.

I think I may have asthma, but I can't get into the doctor till the middle of June.

Sometimes for no reason at all I get a crushing feeling in my chest and its very hard to breathe in or out. It feels like when you are very pregnant, and lay on your back, and you can barely breathe, KWIM? Is that what an asthma attack feels like? Or am I paranoid? _________________________________________
~Rose (The pretty half of natenrose :-) )

My Esteemed Assistant
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sir Peter the Great
AKA Petey Poblano
--------------
~Rose

baby growth
Community Member

in reply to natenrose
I can't at all relate to your pregnancy analogy, but I do have asthma. For me it feels like a heaviness or tightness in the chest and difficulty taking a full breath, sometimes with wheezing but often not, and I start to get a little shaky from not getting enough air. And for me it doesn't get better until I can take my inhaler.

What's happenning when you have these episodes? Are you exposed to a perfume, fumes (like from cleaning products ), smoke or allergens? Are you getting short of breath exercising or climbing stairs? Do you get a lot of chest colds that turn into bronchitis or worse? Stress and anxiety can also trigger asthma attacks, but they can also cause similar symptoms in some people without asthma, so that's a hard one to pin down.

If your doctor suspects asthma, he might order a spirometry (sp?) test for you, which measures lung capacity. He also might give you a rescue inhaler to see if it helps during your episodes.
Community Member

in reply to natenrose
Hi! Thank you for your help.

When I get these, it really feels like something heavy on my whole chest. I mostly get them after exercising, or when its really hot. I get them when smoking too (I know, beat me up ... I'm trying my best to quit and am down to less than 5 cigarettes a day.)

I really have never had lung problems. I don't get bronchitis or anything, in fact I can't remember the last time I had a cold that made me cough. (Knock on wood!)

Asthma runs heavily in my family though, and smoking is a pretty big risk factor.

From your decription it sounds like the same thing. I will be sure to ask about the spirometry test, too.

Thanks again! _________________________________________

My Esteemed Assistant

Sir Peter the Great
AKA Petey Poblano
--------------
~Rose

baby growth
Community Member

in reply to natenrose
I have asthma, when I have a spell, I cant take a deep breath. I dont have a crushing feeling. I do have tightness in my chest and wheezing. I wheeze alot without having a bad spell.
Community Member

in reply to natenrose
My step father described an asthma attack to me to be the same feeling as if I would press a pillow over my face and try to breath. How awful! .
Image hosting by Photobucket
Shelly
Community Member

in reply to natenrose
To all you asthma sufferers, I purchased an air purifier for my home about 7 years ago because my son had asthma. It completely cured him. It really works. It also has helped with my wife's allergies, dust, pet odors, cigarette/cigar smoke, and when you burn something on the stove. I have recently started selling the same product due to a decrease in my pay at my current job. I hope it works out. It should because I know this product is good. If interested visit my website. The "Fresh Air" unit is the one I recommend. Also watch the news report form CBS. I hope you guys overcome this> God Blss you all.
P.S. anyone know how to shorten that link? LOL

ecoquest.com/vanhockin

http://www.whptv.com/WHPHealth/story.aspx?content_id=7B34A7F0-F79C-4D63-873C-C9DD1E76B52E
Community Member

in reply to natenrose
Hmmm, the crushing feeling in the chest doesn't sound like asthma...it sounds more like a heart problem, doesn't it? I'm certainly no expert...
Community Member

in reply to natenrose
No, its not really in the heart area. Its like my ribs are crushing, from the sides? Like the weirdest bear hug ever.

I am pretty young for heart issues - 24 - and I had full blood tests done, oh, about 6 months ago, and my cholesterol and triglycerides were on the low end of normal.

My BP was a bit high at the dr. last time, but that is because he is really cute and it sort of freaks me out a little. :-p _________________________________________

My Esteemed Assistant

Sir Peter the Great
AKA Petey Poblano
--------------
~Rose

baby growth
Community Member

in reply to natenrose
Still does not really sound like asthma to me either. My sons and I have asthma. We will start coughing hard first then comes the whezzing.
***^***^***^***^***^***^***^***^*
"Small boys become big men
through the influence of big men
who care about small boys."
Community Member

in reply to natenrose
While I was taking some nursing courses at a local college, one of the professors had a couple of students run up several flights of stairs while breathing through a plastic beverage straw . They couldn't breathe out of their noses, only through the straw. She said this feeling was akin to that of an asthma attack...
Community Member

in reply to natenrose
I have what I call a "vise- grip" feeling around my ribs and I do have asthma. Have had it 55 yrs. Haven't always been able to identify exactly when it's an attack. I also sometimes have a broncho spasm or cough that is strong and doesn't stop instead of wheezing. Wheezing usually for me is not as strong as the cough, though it can last a long time and be very noisy.
Community Member

in reply to natenrose
This may or may not help, but could it possibly be anxiety attacks?

Everyone has some form of them, but when they start progressing, the chest tightening is exactly how they feel.

I'm 24, and I've been having pretty serious ones since I was about 15. It usually happens when I walk into a crowded store or something. I get hot, chest tightens, rapid heartbeat, start shaking, feel like I can't breath.
I just have to get away from wherever I am.

I'd say it feels like having a huge rope wrapped around your chest, and someone's pulling it tighter while pushing you with their foot. Oh yeah, and after that feeling has passed, I'm worn out. Like I've run a marathon or something!

BTW, you're never too young for heart problems.
Community Member

in reply to natenrose
Hi I developed Asthma 3yrs ago, I'm now 50yrs old, I was very breathless, with a heavy feeling on my chest as if someone was sitting on my chest and had a really irritating little cough, my GP always knew it was me as I coughed all the time, it was only ever one little cough but it never ended, it was caused when i exhaled i wasn't able to breath out properly making it as i couldn't breath in properly either, I'm a lot better now and only take inhalers occasionally, I have found that doing my nails brings on an attack or aromatherapy oils do also, great really as i'm a nail technician and aromatherapist i do all aspects of beauty treatments, I'm not letting it restrict me though. Ask your doctor to take a peak flow test, all you do is blow into a little tube thing that measures your exhalation, that will soon help you to find out what it is.

kind regards
moira ( from uk)