eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Perm for a 12-year-old?

My 12-year-old daughter would love to try a perm. She has extremely fine, straight hair and wants more body, maybe a little curl. Is there any reason I shouldn't consider looking into it? And what sort of perm would you recommend she get, or stay away from? I don't have a stylist, we just use Great Clips, so I don't have an expert to trust.

Please use plain text.
oreobbenb
Community Member

Perm for a 12-year-old?

in reply to calanna
I hope someone can recommend a good one. All I can say is that I have had fine hair all my life. Perms take really fast in my hair (when I have one) so I can't leave them in the recommended time. I've tried all kinds including professional ones at the hands of a hairdresser and even those can't stay in the recommended time.
Oreo
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Perm for a 12-year-old?

in reply to calanna
Thank you, Oreo.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Perm for a 12-year-old?

in reply to calanna
Being a stylist for over 20 years, I would never perm anyone's hair under the age of 16. No one can guarantee the outcome. It might not take, it might not last past the first shampoo, or the opposite can happen and it can make her fine hair dry and brittle.

Have you tried hot rollers for her? It would be the safest bet for her fine hair.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Perm for a 12-year-old?

in reply to calanna
If you must try it - find someone that uses a no-ammonia, low thio perm such as Quantum Insite - Delicate. It's designed for fragile and weak hair. (Just to be on the safe side)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Perm for a 12-year-old?

in reply to calanna
ISO Option Waves is also another new one that has just come out that is Low-Thio and Ammonia Free.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Perm for a 12-year-old?

in reply to calanna
No!! I had one when I was 13, also have very fine straight hair. It all broke off!!!! I had maybe half the amount of hair that I started with, the rest was all broken off about 1/2" from the scalp. AWFUL!! --------------
~Rose

pregnancy week by week
--------------
~Rose

baby growth
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Perm for a 12-year-old?

in reply to calanna
I have the finest, straightest hair EVER! I had a perm when I was 10. The first one never took, it made my hair look like a total mess. The 2nd one a few months later fried the heck out of my hair, it was a nasty, frizzy gross mess!!

I would not recommend perming any child's hair. JMO.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Perm for a 12-year-old?

in reply to calanna
I wouldn't recommend a perm at the age of 12 but you can try what I do with my own fine hair:

After washing the hair, braid it in 2 or 3 braids. After the hair dries, take the braids out, comb the hair, add a little styling gel, and that will give some body to the hair.

He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away. --unknown

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Perm for a 12-year-old?

in reply to calanna
OK...I am a bad mommy. I had a friend put a perm in my 12 yr old daughter's hair and she did a great job doing it. Because K had such thick hair she used two boxes of solution. It actually lasted a good year (really) but K was ready to have it cut out by then and it did change the texture of her hair after that.

Bith my youngest daughter and I have naturally curly hair and K doesn't so what we have done since the perm issue is I actually cut up clean nylons and wrapped her hair around them and rolled them up and tied a bit of a knot in it and she slept in that over night, The next day I took them out and she had all these curls. She loved it! Much safer then perming IMO

Val
AKA-Bad mommy :-)
Please use plain text.
jetscreameryouareadreamer
Community Member

Perm for a 12-year-old?

in reply to calanna
I was about 12 when I begged for my first perm. I don't remember how long I cried, but it was for a long time.
When I was about 28, I tried it again, I didn't cry, but I wanted to.
Perms have gotten better by now? Surely.

Rose....CONGRATULATIONS! I remember awhile back when you were so hoping for this!
"They are imprudent: for they dash at their objectives without giving much heed to the risk of new abuses worse than the evils they hope to sweep away."
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Perm for a 12-year-old?

in reply to calanna
We've done the braid thing too. It can be as wavy as you want. You can do a lot of small braids, or a few larger braids to control the wave. We wash my daughters hair and let it dry about half way. Braid it, put the tiny little ouchless bands in it. Go to sleep and in the morning, you have waves that last.

~Kat
Please use plain text.