eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Mayonaise for Hair??

I read in here somewhere to put mayonnaise in your hair to condition dry ends. Can anyone tell me if I have to put it on wet hair, or can I put it on dry hair and then wash out after its been on a while. I hope this works, my ends are very dry. Does anyone have any other remedies for dry ends? Any help would be appreciated. I think my flat iron is doing a number on my hair.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Mayonaise for Hair??

in reply to unperfect40
While you can put anything on your head that you like, it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Mayo certainly won't hurt your hair, but it probably isn't going to help either, at least not permanently. With the flat iron issue, you would have better luck with a product made for straightening, such as Bed Head Ego Boost, Redken Anti-Snap, Rusk Str8, or you could also try any of the products actually made for use with a flat iron. Things like Chi, or a flat out balm like KMS. I guess it boils down to what you would like to smell like, vinegar and eggs, which is what mayo is made of, or something actually pleasant. Finally, a shine enhancing product like drops or a light hold and shine hairspray will help as well. Never flat iron wet hair, even if they say you "can". For instant gratifification at this point, try having a shine treatment at a salon.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to unperfect40
I do use Bed Head Girl Toys which does help the look a little. I looked at Ego boost last week. I guess I should have picked it up. I think I will give that a try. Thanks very much for the tips.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to unperfect40
A good leave in conditioner can also do the trick quite well. I use "fast food" by A-G, but i don't know if they sell it in the US. I also use Sebastian "potion 9". just work it through the ends really well after washing your hair. Maybe also switch to a more moisturizing shampoo and conditioner? Good luck! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to unperfect40
OMGosh! I used to use mayo 35 years ago when I was a teen. It works well, but very difficult to rinse out. The best product I have found is Joico Moisturizer;just rub a SMALL amount through your ends, but don't rinse out. Really works great. Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to unperfect40
Hi, I've never posted on this board before, been lurking here with great interest, but I just had to respond to this question!

I've used mayo + 1 whole egg mixed up. Yeah, it's messy, but my hair turns out so NICE!

Mix about a 1/4 cup of real mayo with an egg, and work through wet hair. Then tie a plastic grocery bag around it, and THEN wrap a towel around that, just because of the mess. My usual routine when I'm going to all that trouble is to light a couple of candles, have some music playing, and draw a nice long bubble bath... I rinse, then wash my hair a couple of times as I normally do.

The mixture isn't all that difficult to wash out, plus my hair dresser said it makes a very nice conditioner. It's just that not many people want to go to all that trouble. :-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to unperfect40
Thanks everyone for all the good tips. I hope they work.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to unperfect40
Make sure you wash out any mixture with eggs in it using lukewarm water.
Too hot and you'll have a head full of poached egg pieces like I did in my teens. Not very attractive or easy to get rid of! :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to unperfect40
ohchristine good point. That is pretty funny though. Thanks for the tip.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to unperfect40
I like to use olive oil as a leave in on my ends. Just the tiniest bit though - too much and it looks greasy and you walk around smelling like a salad.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to unperfect40
I know that I have gotten lambasted for this tip in the past, but pouring blackstrap molasses over your hair, letting it sit for 15 minutes, then rinsing thoroughly is WONDERFUL!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Mayonaise for Hair??

in reply to unperfect40
mayo is great for getting rid of head lice too.
Please use plain text.
dull*women*have*immaculate*homes
Community Member

Mayonaise for Hair??

in reply to unperfect40
OMG, I used a mayo pack on my hair back in the 70s, and it took forever to get the oil off of my hair. I looked like I had about 40 parts. It was bad.

Have any of you tried a beer rinse?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Mayonaise for Hair??

in reply to unperfect40
I tried a beer rinse in high school, and all it did was make my parents think I had been drinking. Otherwise, nada. LOL. Probably won't hurt anything if you try it though. That kind of alcohol is drying, so make sure you rinse the....beer rinse.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Mayonaise for Hair??

in reply to unperfect40
PLEASE leave the mayo alone for your sandwiches. It takes forever to wash that stuff out using an entire bottle of shampoo~!! LOL

I bought this great stuff from SALLY'S Beauty Supply called, RETEXXTUR by Nexxus. It is a "hair glow, anti-frizz, smoother" that is in a tiny 2 oz. bottle with a spray top (cost about $12). I found it was much easier to spray a TINY amount on the palm of one hand and rub my hands together and work it along the ends of my hair. That tiny bottle will last for MONTHs~!!

Don't forget, that the old tube of VO5 is still out there. It works GREAT too. Just a minute amount in the palm of one hand and rubbing your hands together briskly and then patting your ends works great too.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to unperfect40
Mayonaise is a wonderful hair conditioner, but if you have oily hair then you should only apply it to the middle and ends of hair and leave on as long as possible.
Putting it on dry hair is recommended and I do this a couple times a month and my hair has responded well, during the rest of the month I use loreal kids grape conditioner along with one by Alterna enzymetherapy Caviar Conditioner.You should see if the mayo works for you, I gave it a try and it really works. Just remember to shampoo it out and rinse well.Good luck!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Mayonaise for Hair??

in reply to unperfect40
LOL - I tried the mayonnaise treatment once - just once - couldn't get the mayo grease out.

Have you heard of a product called Ojon unperfect? Rather than go on and on, I would recommend logging into their site to read about it. You wouldn't believe how it makes your hair look and I think it will resolve your issues. It lasts forever so don't let the price scare you. *hint, hint, clue clue* QVC has the best price I've seen.

Arden
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Mayonaise for Hair??

in reply to unperfect40
silk_e_terrier - could you please embellish on black strap mollasses for the hair? I am very curious. Once I used bsm with lemon for a cleansing. It's got a great nutritional content so maybe the molecules are small enough to get into the hair shaft?

Arden
Please use plain text.
sktrsmw
Community Member

Mayonaise for Hair??

in reply to unperfect40
Why on earth would ANYBODY want to use mayo on their hair in 2005??? There are so many wonderous hair moisturizers out there, that do a far better job at "repairing" dry hair, than mayonaise would do. Maybe Mayo was appropriate to use in the 70's, but we have come a long way since then. Mayonaise is sooooo hard to get out of your hair.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Mayonaise for Hair??

in reply to unperfect40
I know getting the grease out was horrible "plus I was about 16 at the time" I slept all night with it in on under plastic wrap, I ruined my pillow,what a mess.
Please use plain text.