eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

How do you ship cologne, perfume with postal regulations ?

I have sold a bottle of cologne to an international customer and when I took my package to the post office I found out that I could not ship it because it is flammable. I was just wondering how other dealers ship perfume, after shave or colognes? My post master is telling me that I will need a ORM - D form. Any hints?
Please use plain text.
midnight*raven
Community Member

in reply to good-bye-antiques
It has to go ground. I would never have sold something that had to go ground to an international bidder. I have a friend who lives in Canada and it's only an hour drive from my house. It took 5 weeks to get a package to her. I could have walked it to her faster! You'll just have to send it ground. Someone at your post office should have told you that.

Assuming I am still stinking of patchouli.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

don't you think it is ridiculous regulation??..every woman and man I know ..who travel via airplain..have their perfumes and colognes with them on the board!..How's that for " flammable and dangerous substance" ??..pfff

At any given time there is more perfumes on a passenger plane than in any cargo section.! DANA

-DANA-

Photobucket

"Acredite sempre no seu trabalho - Vinicius Felix de Miranda- "
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I just don't tell them what's in the package.
I never had a problem with sending perfume by air.
Do you think everyone actually tells the truth to the USPS?
I have heard that because of the difference in air pressure the perfume may get sucked out of the bottle. I suppose it could happen but it has never happened to me.

The USPS rules are crazy. Nail polish can't be sent air either. How many ladies have nail polish in their purses when they fly?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

The post office has very strick rules and regulations on sending perfume nail polish hairspray ect, since 9-11 they have changed their rules everything flammable has to go ground mail also they told me if you do send it airmail it is against the law and you will be held responsible if it explodes ect and will be held accountable. I have purchased things that people sell on ebay and they are flammable and they mail it priority mail or regular first class mail which is illegal just thought I would add to this post to let you know why not that I agree with it. Has anyone heard of anything like this exploding on an airplane? thanks
Please use plain text.
Community Member

All I can say is I work for USPS and we think the rules are crazy too. But we sort of have to pretend to go by them.
I have never heard of anything exploding. I'm sure if it had it would have been on the news also. Everything else makes the news why not exploding cosmetics?
Please use plain text.
midnight*raven
Community Member

It isn't just because of them being flamable. I sent a spray bottle of perfume to a buyer once and the perfume was actually sucked out of the bottle before it arrived to her. It did go on a plane too. There was nothing damaged at all on the bottle or sprayer. The lid was also still attached.

Assuming I am still stinking of patchouli.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Don't lie about what you're shipping, that is simply dishonest. How are you going to feel if something happens because you lied about a flamable substance? jacobeeniesmom you should be ashamed of yourself to actually work for the USPS and advocate lying about the shipment of flamable substances.

Whether or not it can be shipped depends on the flashpoint of the item and several other variables. You can read about it in this section of the DMM:

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1064962

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

The lurkers favorite poster!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Sounds like today there won't be any liquids going by plane. You guys hear on the news this morning? Wow! So glad they caught those guys and hopefully none from that group escaped.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

The best thing to do, is send perfumes and all spray bottles, ground (economy) mail
Explain it to the buyer, that is the only way it is allowed to go
(it is posted on the USPS website also)
I put on my me page, that I can no longer ship perfumes outside the USA, but if a buyer emails me, I explain to them about the ground shipping, and if they are willing to wait (it is supposed to take 6 weeks) then I will ship it
Especially now, with all that's going on, you don't want to lie on the customs forms...if by chance your package is inspected, and they see the form was mis-marked, they could send it back to you or fine you
In this new world, I'm sure customs is going to be on their toes, so it's best to keep everything on the up and up
Please use plain text.
Community Member

if the perfume is in a pressurized storage area it will be fine....if it goes in a unpressurized it can get sucked out.. had it happen.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut by the lawnmower.
Please use plain text.