eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Front teeth caps

Can anyone advise me? I had three front caps put in over 30 years ago. They have metal in the back and look gray and stain easily. Has anyone ever had this problem and what did you do about it? Is it ok to have them recapped just for cosmetic purposes? Guess you can't put veneers over caps and whitening products don't work. What alternatives would I have?
kristincp
Community Member

Front teeth caps

in reply to ckrjack
Chances are your old caps are made of mercury---which is Highly TOXIC! You should have them replaced with some of the newer caps available today. Don't delay....see your dentist today! ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Earn cashback from all your favorite online retailers! List your eBay Store for FREE! It's completely 100% Free to join!

Happy New Year! May your 2009 be simply divine!
-kristincp
Community Member

Front teeth caps

in reply to ckrjack
Oh good Lord....

Nothing is "highly toxic" in your mouth, OP = ) Don't worry!!

Yes, the only thing to do is to do new crowns~~there are all-porcelain ones now that are more esthetic for the anterior teeth. And patients re-do old crowns with no problems. Do you have your teeth cleaned on a 6-month basis? With staining, the cleanings will help.

Also, you got lots of good years out of those--30 yrs is great!!

If your gecko is broken, you have a reptile dysfunction.
Community Member

Front teeth caps

in reply to ckrjack
Thanks frazzedmom... Yes... I kind of like things perfect and do get cleanings twice a year...use electric toothbrush, floss, etc...I'm picky about things but the caps I have are ok but they look gray. The color originally was off gray because back then, they did not make them as white as now... The metal in the back does not help. Basically, I would have them recapped for cosmetic purposes but my question is would they harm the roots or anything??? Cosmetic is second as I don't want to do permanent damage to the tooth. I did have one in front replaced w/o the metal about 10 years ago and it's perfect (because old one was shifting with a space inbetween). But having three more done for cosmetic - is that ok or am I nuts? Has anyone already done that???If I eat blueberry pie - forget it... It really looks bad and the color - terrible. The others are ok. I have used all washes, rinses, toothpastes and still... look bad. I did mention it to my dentist and he kind of thought if you don't need them, don't do it. I will ask again. He does a beautiful job though.... The first dentist many years ago who did the caps did not. I was under the impression people keep caps for life if nothing is apparently wrong with them.
Community Member

Front teeth caps

in reply to ckrjack
No, you are not nuts = ) People do re-do old crowns to improve the esthetics, so your DDS wouldn't think anything odd if you brought it up! It won't harm the tooth structure underneath~~actually re-doing a crown is kinder to the pulp than doing a virgin tooth with a crown. All the doc needs to do is use the handpiece (drill) and make a vertical opening the length of the old crown, then torque it apart with a hand instument. Much less time and prepping on the tooth = ) He'll freshen up the margins and the tooth a bit with the drill, but basically, all the work had been done with the old preps. Insurance companies generally cover new crowns--but not if they are re-done just for esthetics. Their idea of a crown's life expectancy is about 5 years (yikes! thank goodness the docs I worked for had better track records than a 5-year life expect.!)

Scedule a consultation w/ your DDS~~you deserve to be happy with your smile = ) Good luck!!

Community Member

Front teeth caps

in reply to ckrjack
One thing your doc *could* try in the meantime, is using a composite polishing paste with polishing disks. It may help short-term, but yeah...old porcelain does pick up stains.

Community Member

Front teeth caps

in reply to ckrjack
Thanks again... I'm due for my 6th month visit shortly so I'll make it a point to mention it again and kind of insist on it. It has the mercury underneath on the back side which is ugly to begin with so probably insurance will cover 60%. I have great insurance. Anyway, if I'm going to have it done in the future, then why not now while I can appreciate the decent looks too. Maybe the mercury starts to show through. I just didn't want to insist on something (a stupid idea as such) then have it done then have it worse than it is now..... or regret it.