eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

can we sell 9k gold jewellery ?

can we list 9K gold jewelry in US ebay site? In the past, we can only list Precious metal settings of 10 karats or higher in fine jewelry category. But recently, we find more and more 9k gold jewelry are listed in fine jewelry category in US site. However I cannot find any updates about Jewelry and precious metals policy. anyone know it?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: can we sell 9k gold jewellery ?

in reply to 10ktjewellerystore

I did a quick search of 9K gold and found over 23,000 listings in various fine jewelry categories.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I did a search on 9K gold, and there are differences in opinion.  Yes, according to US rules, it has to be a minimum of 10k to be considered gold.   It is also stated that way under ebay's precious metals rules guideline.

I know 9K is used in Europe.  I found one post where someone actually contacted the FTC to see if 9K could be listed as fine jewelry.  Her answer from a supervisor there was that it was NOT considered an infracture to do so.  And as I said above there are over 23,000 listings for 9K in various fine jewelry categories on the US site, so apparently ebay is allowing it.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

infracture = infraction.

I wish ebay allowed us to edit our posts.

Please use plain text.
grammylg
Community Member

Why are you asking questions on the "Fine Jewelry Board".  The stuff you're selling isn't "fine jewelry".  No one sells real gold jewelry for $20.00 and even under.  Gold is the same price worldwide...even where you live.

Stop already with the phony questions and the fake merchandise; it only hurts good honest sellers and Ebay in general.~Grammy

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Wow what a rude response, grammy, to a legitimate question by the OP. For one jewelry seller to tell another jewelry seller that they don't belong on this forum because their jewelry isn't fine jewelry, well it seems that their listings are sure getting a lot of interest.

Please use plain text.
grammylg
Community Member

Not being rude, only pointing out the facts.  These seller's (usually from that part of the world) that sell their fake merchandise here on Ebay only hurt honest sellers.

You can report them and sometimes Ebay kicks them off, but they are back days later under a new ID.  It's been happening for years.

Just think about it; no one could sell real gold for what they are selling their merchandise for...you'd be going in the hole on every sale.

Unfortunately there are a lot of buyers who never have their merchandise checked after a purchase, so they just get taken for a ride.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

OK Ladies, let us all stop yelling at oneanother for a moment.

technically Ladies neither is 10K or 10ct. is gold as this is 10 parts gold to 14parts alloy. So you should not be selling this as fine jewellery either. Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It may come as a big surprise to some of the people here that America is not the world.

The 9ct. gold standard came about through the British Commonwealth, also Europe and some Asian countries ,  It has since been phased out as much as possiblle , but old habits die hard and Australia. New Zealand , South Africa, Britain of course, and most others that still are part of the newer British ccommonwealth still use it to-day, for mainstream accessable jewellery with semi and precious stones.  It was also used as childrens jewellery in Europe and some do do this to-day.Some years ago the world gold council decided that anything below half i.e.when  half the content is alloy. This included 12ct.could not be technicly called gold.14carat has been popular for ever it seems by many European countries , hence it travelled around the world. But France for example still will not allow anything other than 18ct. in a true jewellers shop to be sold as gold. But as I said . old habits die hard especially when the price of gold goes through the roof as it has done . When we had a retail showroom we tried valiantly to convert people with a simple card printed (see sample), to explain why we wanted them to use a higher carat. Price usually got in the way. J

Charm Affair or Charm
5200007794_gold standard.JPG
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Theoretically no, practically yes. This is one of the many rules that ebay does not have time to enforce.

All know the way, but few follow it.
Please use plain text.