eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

lang.murphy
Community Member

Tiffany Sterling box: help with marks and engraving

I assume this was a presentation gift to the President of a University or College... it's about 2.25" across, about 1" tall.

Top reads:

From the students of:

< unidentifiable by me initials>

To President Hervey

maybe the intials are SLU? Which, might be, really LSU, right, didn't they used to put the first initial in the middle?

The engraving on the reverse reads:

"We'll take a cup of kindness yet
For days o' auld lang syne."

Front:

Photobucket

Back:

Photobucket

The markings appear to be from left to right:

TIFFANY & Co. 3716 T 5900 STERLING 925-1000 11

TIFFANY & Co.

Photobucket

3716 T:

Photobucket

5900:

Photobucket

STERLING:

Photobucket

925-1000:

Photobucket

And then... almost on the other side from the Tiffany mark is...

11:

Photobucket

So... anyone have a clue what the purpose of this box was? Seems too large to be a pill box. I was thinking maybe a box for chewing tobacco? It seems too large to be carried around in one's clothes, definitely too large for pants pockets and probably too large for a suit jacket pocket...

Anyway, as always, all replies appreciated!

Lang
Community Member

Re: Tiffany Sterling box: help with marks and engraving

in reply to lang.murphy
I do think it is a pill box, looks very similar to the pill boxes I saw in the Tiffany store.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
lang.murphy
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
I do think it is a pill box, looks very similar to the pill boxes I saw in the Tiffany store.

Well, it could be, Dee... seems a bit large, but I no pretty much nothing about pill boxes. Thanks for the response.
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
Wish I could help you with the marks, but they are probably just a style number or something..very pretty..cant beat Tiffany!

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
owl4343
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
Could be a snuff box.

Usually in a monogram, the large letter in the center is the person's last name. But if it's a school, they may mean the "U" to be the last letter.

The first letter looks like it may be the letter "I" rather than an "S". In script engraving, they are similar.
lang.murphy
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
Could be a snuff box.

Usually in a monogram, the large letter in the center is the person's last name. But if it's a school, they may mean the "U" to be the last letter.

The first letter looks like it may be the letter "I" rather than an "S". In script engraving, they are similar.

Right... middle letter is usually the last name... so... we're looking at, maybe... SUL or IUL? If it is an "I", maybe Indiana or Illinois Universary at... L-someplace?

I'm assuming the piece is american as there are no British sterling marks...
owl4343
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
Check out this site for info on Tiffany dates:

http://www.925-1000.com/Tiffany_Date_Code.html

It looks like from the pattern number, this style of box was first made about 1874. From the style of stamping, it looks like it actually dates to 1892-1902 (the example E shown).

Remember that the school may not exist anymore, or may have merged with another since that time. Also, it may have been a private school, not a state-run one, so may not have a state name in it at all. It will take some research. It sure would help to know what part of the country it came from.
owl4343
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
Found it! St. Lawrence University. President Hervey resigned in 1894, so was probably presented with this box then.

From the book "Sixty Years of Saint Lawrence" on Google Books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=U5oaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA218&lpg=PA218&dq=%22president+hervey%22&source=bl&ots=5K17ZOKczT&sig=E0l00wZ2SNEneaRWEKanXuSYyhA&hl=en&ei=85SFTbqqLYzSsAPQ0OXqAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22president%20hervey%22&f=false
lang.murphy
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
[quote mid="515866980"]Found it! St. Lawrence University. President Hervey resigned in 1894, so was probably presented with this box then.

WOW! Holy smokes! That's some awesome detective work, owl4343! I googled, and googled and could never find any reference to a "President Hervey" anywhere.

Thanks so MUCH!!! I am indebted to you!!!
lang.murphy
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
Found it! St. Lawrence University. President Hervey resigned in 1894, so was probably presented with this box then.

All right... let me try this again... without deleting the end quote... (doh!)

Thanks for persevering on this... I did a few google searches, none of which turned up the book.

Wow... that is really neat! Knowing the history of something that you hold in your hand is... well, honestly, priceless.

Thank you SO MUCH for your detective work... they need to add a "we're not worthy, bowing" emoticon to their brief list... I would be inserting about a half dozen of those puppies in here, right about now.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, owl4343!

THANK YOU!!!

lol
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
Good sleuthing!

lang.murphy
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
Good sleuthing!

AGREED!

For anyone interested... there's a photo of President Hervey on this web page:

http://www.stlawu.edu/leaders/

What a great experience! This is the BEST result I've ever received from posting questions in ebay forums. Just WILD!
owl4343
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
Lang, you're very welcome. I love doing this kind of research!

Interestingly, the book on Google goes on about how hard Hervey worked, having to also teach regular classes and filling in as a substitute teacher at times, until it became too much, and he resigned.

The link you gave to the university page says he spent most of his time looking through a telescope on top of library building. Not very flattering. I wonder what the truth was?

If you want to sell it, the university might be interested in buying it. They might have a small museum or collection of artifacts, or maybe the current president would like to own it.
lang.murphy
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
Lang, you're very welcome. I love doing this kind of research!

Interestingly, the book on Google goes on about how hard Hervey worked, having to also teach regular classes and filling in as a substitute teacher at times, until it became too much, and he resigned.

The link you gave to the university page says he spent most of his time looking through a telescope on top of library building. Not very flattering. I wonder what the truth was?

If you want to sell it, the university might be interested in buying it. They might have a small museum or collection of artifacts, or maybe the current president would like to own it.

Great minds think alike, owl4343! I sent an email to one of the contact email addresses saying, paraphrasing here, "I have this thing, I might be interested in accepting offers from alumni who might like to present it as a gift to the school." I already received a response from that person saying "Thanks, I forwarded your email to the alumni association."

So... we'll see what kind of offers I get.

And, I too read some of the book on google books. Like yourself, I was somewhat surprised by the comment on the SLU web site saying that President Hervey was a frequent star gazer. I thought it intimated that the dude was a slacker. Which was, as you know, contrary to the book's clear indication that he was hard working to a fault.

Yep... I also wonder what the truth of it was.

At any rate... I'll update this thread if I get any outstanding offers...

Best,

Lang
sktrsmw
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
Just out of curiousity lang, how did you come onto this little treasure?
lang.murphy
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
sktrsmw:

Don't know if you'll ever see this response, considering that it comes nearly three months after the original question...

But in case you do see it... this pill box was part of my mom's estate. She loved sterling, Tiffany, all manner of things that one might find in the jewelry case of an antique store. Of where she got it, exactly, I have no clue.
owl4343
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy
Lang, did you ever interest anyone from the university in the box?
lang.murphy
Community Member

in reply to lang.murphy

Bumping this after more than a year...

Nope, have not heard anything from anyone from the university or alumni, owl4343.