eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member

Is this Morganite real or synthetic? glass?

Does this look like the real thing? or is it synthetic? Looks to be real with the color and the way it's supposed to look, but not sure. Does anyone know? Thanks..

5100012238_morganite sale.jpg
Please use plain text.
allopapallo
Community Member

Re: Is this Morganite real or synthetic? glass?

in reply to semiquaver2013

As far as I know, there is no synthetic morganite so it's either morganite or a simulant.

No one could ID it from a picture. The only way to tell would be a lab analysis IMO or you could try home with a refractometer.

Daniel

PS: if you bought it on ebay from a thai seller, then it's 99.99% a fake.

Please use plain text.
volemus
Community Member

Can't begin to guess with a pic of that size & focus. Does it have any flaws? Did you pay a comparable price for a known good stone of similar size & quality? Some important clues often come from the seller, i.e., do they often sell their "gems" as private listings? Are they from China (or...India)?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

I didnt get it from China..may have been from India, but not sure and dont remember now. I have some of the platinum ones, and I know they have some flaws and I think they're real, but this one I cant tell for sure or not if it has any flaws without looking with a magnifie glass..maybe? Looks to be the same as the ones I know are real off ebay from sellers in the US.

Please use plain text.
evelyb30
Community Member

If it came from India I'd have my doubts too.  I clicked the magnifier after pulling the image up from the arrow and didn't see any obvious flaws.  That makes me wonder.

I once bought a pin with what the dealer thought was a morganite. I paid about $40 and got  neodynium "alexandrite" glass  - still a good deal, but not a great one.  (I didn't know what morganite looked like at the time, but knew a color-change stone when I saw one.)

======================================================
She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Please use plain text.
rain777blue
Community Member

Good Morning, I bought a Morganite ring around Christmas for my daughter on e-bay, I was carful not to buy from China or any of the countrys other then US. When I received the ring, I was in doubt and very unhappy. I took it to a Jewelry story and had it tested, it was glass. It looked nice and was heavy and a large stone.

I contacted the seller from AZ. I told her it was glass, we went back and forth with e-mail and wanted me to prove it.. I paid over 130.00 and didn't want glass set in silver. She told me she has another one almost like it, so she would have it checked out.. She did and refunded my money..Her ring was also glass. Bought from some designer overseas..

Please use plain text.
allopapallo
Community Member

US or not US the problem is not so nationalistic, unfortunately . The problem is that many US sellers buy from the far east were they can buy at lower prices, and sometimes there are really deals there, but you need knowledge and care when buying, as many of the items from the far east are fakes: fake sterling, fake stones, fake gold, fake antiques, etc.

The US sellers buy and resell that stuff in good faith, but good faith does not turn something fake into the real thing.

I have mostly stopped buying from the US, upset by the amount of fake "silver" I bought. And not only on ebay, the problem seems to be much larger: there are a LOT of fake hallmarks and fake stones going around.

As I am italian, I am particularly upset when they fake the italian hallmarks, which BTW is a very serious crime here and can cost you many years of prison. ANd they do it shamelessy in some factory in china, and flood the market with that: what a shame.

Daniel

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Found out that this one is just colored glass.. I was told and it was sold to me as a morganite, but it's just glass/costume jewelry.. Buyers beware, if the price is too good to be true and if the stone is virtually flawless or flawless, I'de make sure you could return it for a full refund..just in case.

Please use plain text.
rain777blue
Community Member

Daniel, I have two very old gold bracelets marked 750 and 18kt Italy, they are heavy and from an estate sale.. They are not gold and I will not resell so are in my collection.. I just keep saying "are you sure they are not gold? " The answer is always yes, they are fake.. Such workmanship for fake..

Please use plain text.