eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

ralfrey
Community Member

Imperial jadeite necklace and ruby cab help please

Hello everyone, I have another wonderful find to ask about. The ruby cab is around 15 cts. The beads are of jadeite and are all 8mm. I am at a loss as to the quality of both the jadeite and the ruby. My gemstone expert (Kirk Root) here in Austin is busy for at least two weeks and can't look at these for me so I am coming to ya'll for some advice.

The ruby is included with some bubble-like inclusions and veil-like inclusions but I think the color might make up for some of that since it is such a large size. It is saddle-cut which brings me to the first question. Does this type cut suggest antiquity, or are they still using the saddle-cut?

Is the color the number one factor above all else in determining the value in ruby?

Are the beads, at 8mm, considered too small to be worthy of much merit? That is, is the investor looking only for 10mm and above, such as a diamond when it weighs over a carat is more sought after? Or is this a case of size doesn't matter as long as the quality is excellent?

Here are some pictures. I have to ask if anyone knows the best way to photograph jadeite? I just can't figure it out!! :-( They came out too bright in the daylight, so I took these inside which made the green beads look like nephrite in the second pic. I'm still working on a backlit ruby shot to show the inclusions.

Many thanks to everyone!!

jadeiterubynecklace2

jadeiterubynecklace1
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too?
Please use plain text.
allopapallo
Community Member

Re: Imperial jadeite necklace and ruby cab help please

in reply to ralfrey

The ruby is included with some bubble-like inclusions and veil-like inclusions

Sounds like a dead giveaway for a synthetic stone .
If the stone looks included, it might be a flux synthesis,, which forms inclusions that can strongly resemble inclusions found in natural rubies.

Daniel
Please use plain text.
allopapallo
Community Member

in reply to ralfrey
I forgot to add:

The two most common methods for synthetizing rubies are Flame fusion and Flux fusion.
The first method leaves curved striae Photobucket and/or gas bubbles Photobucket which are never found in natural rubies and can be seen with a loupe (like a 20x).

Flux growth process takes longer time, and leaves inclusions similar to those found in natural corundum.
There are stress fractures due to the high pressure and the fractures are then filled with a growth-solution "healing" them.
The outcome loos like feather Photobucket or fingerprints Photobucket or small pieces of platinum as the stone is grown in a platinum container Photobucket

Daniel
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ralfrey
Hi Ralphie,

The saddle shape is still being used occasionally in stones today, so while it does suggest an older stone, is not necessarily a guarantee of it.

The bubble inclusions you‘ve described can be found in both natural and synthetic rubies. Unfortunately it takes a spectroscope to determine which...

Wispy white veils are indicative of synthetic stones, though, as are strain cracks and curved striations.

Have you found any seed crystal inclusions in the stone? They’re frequently found in older synthetic rubies, and might help in determining the stone’s age, along with the saddle cut. Rubies have been grown in labs since the early 1900's.

I have to ask if anyone knows the best way to photograph jadeite? I just can't figure it out!! They came out too bright in the daylight, so I took these inside which made the green beads look like nephrite in the second pic. I'm still working on a backlit ruby shot to show the inclusions.

Photos taken with a white or light neutral background are best. Taking pictures as you have-with light shining through the jade, either from the back or the side, will show your beads translucence to their best advantage.

You may want to experiment a bit until you find a combination of lighting/background that satisfies you. Perhaps others here have additional suggestions.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ralfrey
Oops! I meant Ralfrey, not Ralphie, my apologies, Ralfrey. :-)
Please use plain text.
ralfrey
Community Member

in reply to ralfrey
Here is a barely acceptable shot showing the inclusions. That black inclusion is inside the ruby. The bubbles are pretty large in comparison to the ones in the synthetic pics.

The ruby is not attached to the necklace yet but was intended to go into a clasp. Now I'm wondering if it is even good enough for the beads, and I should keep looking for a better stone for the clasp.

Thanks again to everyone!

ruby2
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too?
Please use plain text.
ralfrey
Community Member

in reply to ralfrey
Hello again, I tried the white background trick with daylight to some avail, tho I'm not really happy since the pure kelly green is not showing. It is still more spinach green much like a nephrite color. I think it is my point and shoot camera. I'll bet it is something really simple that I haven't done to my camera, as far as adjustments.

beads1
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ralfrey
Hi Ralfrey,

I don't believe the stone in the new photo is a synthetic ruby.

I'll try to get some info to you over the next few days to help you with your jewelry pictures. You might also try going through the cameras manual-either the one it came with or online-for additional information on close ups of small objects.
Please use plain text.
evelyb30
Community Member

in reply to ralfrey
This might be a dumb question, but does amber come in that color? It doesn't "smell" like a ruby to me either, not that I know much about rubies.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Please use plain text.
ralfrey
Community Member

in reply to ralfrey
This might be a dumb question, but does amber come in that color? It doesn't "smell" like a ruby to me either, not that I know much about rubies.

Hello, I believe there is such a thing as cherry amber, to answer your question.

This stone weighs 15 cts or 3 grams while amber is extra lightweight in comparison. This is one way I ruled out amber immediately. Also, the stone was cold to the touch while amber is warm such as plastic feels at room temp. Otherwise, I can see how you might guess amber from the picture. Thank you for looking!

Regards, Roger
Please use plain text.
ralfrey
Community Member

in reply to ralfrey
Hi Ralfrey,

I don't believe the stone in the new photo is a synthetic ruby.

I'll try to get some info to you over the next few days to help you with your jewelry pictures. You might also try going through the cameras manual-either the one it came with or online-for additional information on close ups of small objects.

Thank you so much!
Please use plain text.