eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Do Gold Filled Items Have Scrap Value in this market?

Approximately what is the scrap value of say 1/20 -14k GF items, per oz?
I realize this amount would be less the profit margin of the scrap buyer, which may be considerable.
sktrsmw
Community Member

Re: Do Gold Filled Items Have Scrap Value in this market?

in reply to mstcwrld7
You need to have a bucketful to make it worth your while, although I have been noticing GF auctions going pretty high recently on eBay.
List em!
Community Member

in reply to mstcwrld7
I don't really have a bucketful, ha ha! but there are probably bucketfuls around.
Some antique GF items are worth a lot. Some GF is worth nothing but scrap especially if it's not in perfect condition. I'd hate listing items on ebay that are not in good condition, especially something like GF. I was just wondering what the going rate would be for turning broken/not nice stuff in to a scrapper or refiner.
Just doing the quick and dirty math I come up something like $40. worth of gold in an ounce of GF. Less a considerable amount for the refiner's/scrap buyer's profit. Still better than throwing the stuff out if there is a buyer for it..
Community Member

in reply to mstcwrld7
I would pay about $1.00 per gram on average. There is so many different qualities of gf it would depend on what you have. For instance 1/10 10k gf would be worth more than 1/20th 14k gf.

in reply to mstcwrld7
yes, bwright.
And then there is old GF which is sometimes not marked. For unmarked, I would figure it si the 1/20. Sometimes it is 1/20 12k, or 1/10 12k.
Community Member

in reply to mstcwrld7
l checked with a refinery in my area about 4 months ago and they were giving 32 cents per gram for gold filled jewelry.
Community Member

in reply to mstcwrld7
so how do we tell if old gold jewelry is filled? I think I can tell the difference in weight from filled and plated...is that possible? I have a ton of it that I want to list but how can I advertise it without it being marked gold filled? For instance, I have several old vintage monet bangle bracelets that acid test for gold content but I know they aren't solid gold. would the magnet test hold true for gold filled?