eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

kevenay
Community Member

Can 14k gold be a little magnetic?

I have a few sets of karat gold earrings that are hallmarked. Why do some not respond to a magnet, while other move a little toward the magnet (they don't stick to the magnet, however)? Does it mean the ones that move are not karat gold?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Can 14k gold be a little magnetic?

in reply to kevenay
Hi kevenay,

Yes. 14kt gold is 58.3% gold and the rest "filler" metals that can range all over the place depending on who made the 14kt gold. It would be a good idea to test it just to be sure, even the non-magnetic stuff.

Hope this helped.
mc
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kevenay
It is also possible that there is a small steel part. It is common that clasps have a small steel spring.
Please use plain text.
owl4343
Community Member

in reply to kevenay
I've never seen gold alloyed with iron or steel, so it's more likely that there's a small piece of steel somewhere in the earring. Are they the leverback style of earrings? They have a spring, although they're usually made of nickel. There are some ear nuts that have springs in them, called clutch backs, sort of like tie tack backs where you squeeze to release them from the posts. A lot of jewelry is partially polished by tumbling. Sometimes steel shot is used as the media, and it's possible a piece of that is stuck in your earring.
Please use plain text.
allopapallo
Community Member

in reply to kevenay
Gold is not magnetic. Gold alloys are not magnetic, and iron is never used in the alloy (I do not know if it would even chemically possible to make such alloy, and it would anyway make the mass much harder to work). But it is not uncommon that some earrings and some bracelet have inside tiny parts made of iron/steel, especially in the locking mechanism / clasp. The weight of these tiny parts is unimportant, but they can display some weak magnetism.

Daniel
Please use plain text.
kevenay
Community Member

in reply to kevenay
Thank you to everyone who answered. I am learning as I go.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kevenay
Hi all,

while I agree 99.9% of alloys do not contain any iron, believe me, they are out there. Most if any magnetic reaction will be from steel springs etc. somewhere in the item, Like you all have said. BUT, there are alloys of 14kt gold that contain iron. believe me or not, just letting you know.Don't believe me if you don't want to. Your choice.

mc
Please use plain text.
owl4343
Community Member

in reply to kevenay
If the earrings were made in China, I'd believe it for sure. Iron, steel, or melamine, I wouldn't put it past them.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kevenay
Gold is not magnetic. Gold alloys are not magnetic, and iron is never used in the alloy (I do not know if it would even chemically possible to make such alloy, and it would anyway make the mass much harder to work). But it is not uncommon that some earrings and some bracelet have inside tiny parts made of iron/steel, especially in the locking mechanism / clasp. The weight of these tiny parts is unimportant, but they can display some weak magnetism.

Daniel

Well, in fact iron is used to make a blue and gray gold. http://books.google.ca/books?ei=kTzPTM820f-cB_Wz5SA&ct=result&id=ioNOAAAAMAAJ&dq=gray+gold+alloy&q=g...
Please use plain text.
tigsmom10
Community Member

in reply to kevenay

some gold is alloyed with nickel & nickel is magnetic

Please use plain text.
pre1840lorraine
Community Member

in reply to tigsmom10
The post is over 3 years old.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to allopapallo

Yes some old gold has iron in it, up to 25%.  Nickel is used as an alloy in gold and is slightly magnetic , to everyones disbelief. 

So when the 40% of 14Kt gold   of these alloys are used , the gold will be slightly magnetic. This hold true in older gold more often.  Always look for springs in the clasps, as well as a different (stronger) alloy gold than the gold chain that it may be attatched too. It is just simple chemistry. Thanks

Please use plain text.
owl4343
Community Member

in reply to goodlife84us

Is there a way to close old posts??

Please use plain text.
pre1840lorraine
Community Member

in reply to owl4343

owl4343 wrote:

Is there a way to close old posts??

I agree, I wish there was because there are too many being pulled up.

Please use plain text.