eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Another question about jade...is there such a thing as jade plating?

I have this heavy jade piece. I also see there is a tiny hole in the "egg" which leads me to think this may be a veneer of jade. Both pieces together are nearly a pound. The egg is 2" X 1-3/8" and the "nest" is 3-1/4" X 2-3/4". This has that ice cold feel of jade and is a veneer enough to produce that coldness. It looks black into the egg thru that small hole..the same black as is on the bottom of the "nest".
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
lexy143
Community Member

Re: Another question about jade...is there such a thing as jade plating?

in reply to dreams_of_italy
They aren't Jade, they are Malachite, the hole is probably just an inclusion in the stone.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

This is not jade. The stone is called malachite and the African country of Botswana mines a lot of this type malachite. You might google malachite to see similar banded green examples. of this stone
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Thank you. This is my wife's to sell. She was guessing jade and I was guessing onyx and we were both wrong.
Ron
Please use plain text.
allopapallo
Community Member

Malachite is often mistaken for jade but easily recognizable by its wood-like or water-like patterns.
It is a copper mineral in a beautiful shade of green and you can admire a whole hall in the imperial palace in St. Petersburg, a priceless room made of gold and malachite (in sizes so big that it is unbelievable!).

Like this man-sized urn:
http://img2.photographersdirect.com/img/17480/wm/pd1004815.jpg

Daniel

PS: it wasn't so bad to be the Tsar! :^O
Please use plain text.