eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution

what percentage of buyers leave feedback?

I would like to know what percentage of buyers actually leave feedback, so that I can know what to expect.  I am sure EBay has the numbers . . . will they share the information?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: what percentage of buyers leave feedback?

in reply to muffyofthenorth
You're lucky if you get 50% - but it varies dependent on the items you sell.

Don't be concerned with how much you get - only that you make every attempt to make all the fb you get as close to 100% positive as you can - because that is what will trip you up.
Feedback is voluntary
Please use plain text.
mudshark61369
Community Member

muffy..,

eBay may well have that info, but probably won't share it, as it might scare new sellers away.   As Postme said  how many feedback you receive will depend on the type items you sell. Vintage, antique, and some collectible, category items tend to have a higher rate of return feedback, than newer items, as collectors tend to be very happy to add to their collections. 

Don't worry about feedback too much, while it is nice to get it, making money on your sales is more important.  Do not ask members for feedback, some get upset by feedback requests, and may leave unwanted feedback.  Feedback is voluntary after all.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS! (unknown)
Please use plain text.
*maddison
Community Member

Since I started leaving feedback at payment for my buyers (as encouraged by ebay), I now enjoy a 100% feedback return.

Do you leave feedback at payment for your buyers?

Madi.
Please use plain text.
mudshark61369
Community Member

in reply to *maddison

*maddison wrote:

Since I started leaving feedback at payment for my buyers (as encouraged by ebay), I now enjoy a 100% feedback return.

Maddison,

She does leave feedback before her buyers, and like 99.9% of  sellers, doesn't get a 100% return for her trouble.  I highly doubt you do either.  This was not a thread about who should leave feedback first, so try staying on topic.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS! (unknown)
Please use plain text.
*maddison
Community Member

in reply to mudshark61369

mudshark61369 wrote:

*maddison wrote:

Maddison,

She does leave feedback before her buyers, 

Oh well that is good news, smart sellers leave feedback before their buyers,

I guess I must be one of the lucky sellers that enjoys a 100% feedback return, or perhaps it has a lot to do with my excellent customer service and products and nothing to do with luck..

Madi.
Please use plain text.
stinky*felix
Community Member

Muffy, I don't know what the percentage is for all sellers, but for me it is low (and I leave feedback before shipment)  - much, much lower than it used to be.  I used to get about an 85% return.  Now I'm lucky to get 50%.  :smileyindifferent:

* * * * * * Always act like you are wearing an invisible crown. * * * * * *
Please use plain text.
Community Member

That is a great answer, thank you!  Since it doesn't cost them anything to do it I thought more people would leave feed back, but as long as I am getting a better return than average I guess will be happy and try not to care too much.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

That is a great answer, thank you!  Since it doesn't cost them anything to do it I thought more people would leave feed back, but as long as I am getting a better return than average I guess will be happy and try not to care too much.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to stinky*felix
thanks!
Please use plain text.
daltvila420
Community Member

I would like to know what percentage of buyers actually leave feedback, so that I can know what to expect.

I would leave feedback for all paying customers- and expect a 20% return rate... and when 30+% leave feedback, be happy when the results exceeded my expectations.

Please use plain text.
scribble_on
Community Member

[ Edited ]

muffyofthenorth wrote:

Just so you know, no one gets 100% return on feedback.  That's a tall tale.  Well, maybe if they sell 2 items a year and both buyers leave fb, lol!

And no feedback is better than bad feedback.

I found I get a better return when I leave it last.  But that's not why I do it that way, and if leaving it first works for you, stick with that method.  Or you could experiment and see if leaving it last garners a better return.  Bottom line, Mud is right - it's the money that matters. 

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
63tempest326
Community Member

Please don't believe story tellers that say they have tons of feedback and get 100% feedback from buyers. It just isn't so. Fibbing may be their hobby.

If you do believe fiction stories, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I would sell to you very cheap.

In fact, most sellers will tell you they get more feedback from buyers when leaving it AFTER the buyer.

As others have said, when selling concentrate on making money. When buying, concentrate on the item.

Feedback is overrated and outdated anyway.

"Life is really simple, but some insist on making it complicated" ~ ~ Confucius
Please use plain text.
tripp_the_lab
Community Member

I always felt I received an average return and it was about 60%. I think if you leave it first, like I did, that's about what you can expect. Consider any more a bonus. :-)

Like others however I sold for money not feedback. I do understand that when you are under 100 you want to get them to build your reputation. Just heep providing excellent service and good items and you will get there in no time.

A little unsolicited advice. I notice you are not using the item specifics in your listings. It is best to use those as it will get your better search results (they are searchable) and will help you get seen on the search engines.

Proud member of The Pack of Disgruntled Failures!

Neuter the people, not the dogs!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to tripp_the_lab

I have made 24 sales and received feedback on 13, so about 65%.

I, personally, have a higher rate of feedback when I leave feedback AFTER I have heard that the customer has the item, etc - but that is not why I would choose to do it that way.

Race you to 100?  LOL

Please use plain text.
discuss*stuff
Community Member

in reply to *maddison

*maddison wrote:

Yeah...I made a sale and got feedback too...don't recall who left feedback first.

ebay...the new spectator sport
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to postme11
This has recently become an issue for me as a seller.
For instance in the last sixty days I have sold 159 items - lets say from may 29 through juky 29
of those 159 - 60 folks have not left (wishful) positive feedback or even nuetral if there was a marginal problem - if there was a prolem I am sure they would have emailed or left negativeand wanted a refund and threatened my children.
WOW that is a third of what I have sold with NO NO NO feedback. Just dissappears.
So my hope is at some point that Ebay etal! Possibly could throw the seller a bone and before the listing/sale goes away after 60 days that we could get an ebay sanctioned positive 5 star feedback added to our record - since 1 negative can send your feedback into a tailspin - I have noticed if a negative shows up it could set you back the equivelent of 20-30 positive feedbacks before you recover to your previous level.
Yes feedback is voluntary but the buyer - especially experienced buyers should know this can also enhance the market so sellers do not become discouraged
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to tripp_the_lab

Thanks for the advice! 

Spoiler

Please use plain text.
socalrecordexchange
Community Member

When I used to sell on ebay I left feedback first and had close to a 90% return rate. as a buyer I only leave feedback if it is negitive feedback. I no longer sell because you can't leave truthful feedback without retaliation and ebay will invade your bank accout to refund the money to the buyer who retaliated against you and let them keep the product!!!

GOOD PUPPY DOG.

WOOF WOOF!

Please use plain text.
Community Member

No one gets 100% feedback.  I sell with  2 other IDS and at least a few times a month, a buyer will ASK me to NOT leave a feedback. Those buyers don't want their spouses/loved ones /friends to know what they bought... Buyers can be very lazy too.   After you have  a bunch of feedback,  a few more don't really matter.  I mean, it's great if you get it but no big deal if you don't.  This is what I am finding. 

Personally, I get back around 50-60% and I never leave it first unless it's a real pain in the butt buyer who is demanding it...  I put thank you notes in all of my packages.

Please use plain text.