eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Accepted Solution
Why can't you leave negative feedback for buyers?
I have had 4 non payers in the last month. One got booted but I should be able to leave negative feedback to protect other sellers. I do not have a business on here. I just sell my old junk. I don't care about retaliation. I would however like to block an idiot from my auctions if i see a bad buyer rating. Ebay sure has gotten sucky over the last few years. Craigs list here I come I think.
Accepted Solution
sunnysouth1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo
Hi, Sellers haven't been able to leave negative or neutral feedback for buyers since May 08. Positive ratings with negative comments are not allowed either. The best you can do is set your site preferences to block bidders with 2 or more UPI strikes within 12 months and check you active listings to check the bidder's feedback left for others. If you see that the bidder leaves unjustified negs or neutrals you can cancel the bid and block them from bidding. Use your blocked bidder list and add non-payers so they can't bid on your listings again. Always file the UPI for non-paying bidders unless of course there are special circumstances.

Sunny

"If the world were ruled by women then there would be no war… just a couple of nations not talking with each other."

Other Answers: 26
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

i have not left any feedback for buyers since eBay implemented this change.  And I will not leave any feedback for buyers until eBay allows me to leave negative and neutral feedback again. 

A feedback system where the only possible type of feedback is positive is not a feedback system.  It is a waste of time.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

I agree.  Same thing has happened to me on several occasions.  Sellers should be able to leave negative feedback so other sellers know to beware of certain buyers.  I have had three-four instances where the buyer doesn't pay & doesn't respond.  Ebay just does NOT protect hobby sellers.  It is very frustrating.  I am about over it.  We should also be able to block certain buyers b/c if someone doesn't pay, I don't want them to have the option to bid on anything of mine again.  We, as sellers, should have that option.

theplatinumgroup2011
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

Ebay DOES have some strange policies. I always wondered why EVERY buyer had a 100% positive feedback rating.

I contacting their customer service they opened my eyes on a few things. They told me they were losing buyers so they wanted to do what they could to keep them. I reminded them that without sellers, they would have no buyers and that they were pushing the seller away.

Another bit of advice I received from them was on shipping charges. I was downgraded for a month (no notice at all, by the way) because buyers complained of the shipping charges. I explained to eBay that if an item costs me $8.00 to ship, I charge $8.00 to the buyer. Their advice to me (which I thought was extremely unethical) was to charge $3.00 for shipping and tach an extra $5.00 on the cost of the item.

I agree with some of the other posters here. Sites like eBid and Craigslist are looking better. Ebay needs to stop battering their Sellers.

sarcasticone24
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

Way to go ebay - what a stupid policy. I had two bidders NOT pay after they won my auctions. I should be able to write that and let other sellers know to avoid them. I mean, who is looking out for us sellers? Thanks Ebay, you are going to lose my business, as I should have the right to leave feedback when things like this happen :smileysad:

Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

I have been an eBay member since 2006 and have noticed that over the years eBay has made it harder and harder for sellers to bring bad buyers to justice while making it easier for bad buyers to unfairly punish sellers.

For example, recently I have had a string of non payers. 6 to be exact. Everyone of them only gets an UPI report against them which no one else can see. eBay will not let me inform others about this through the feedback system. I also had two other buyers who did not read one word of my item descriptions and left negetive feedback when the item they received was not what they thought it was going to be despite the fact that I very acurately described it. 

eBay always seems very quick to take the side of the buyer in most situations.

peterd647
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

Such a stupid new system. I haven't sold anything on eBay for a while, but we're moving and selling a heap of stuff. Buyer wins an item and then writes to me to say they can't afford it anymore. **bleep**?? Now I learn I can't leave even neutral feedback anymore. What's the point of the ratings??

Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to kennygooo

I just recently had a negative experience with a buyer who tried to extort a refund by threatening me with a negative review.

Totally against eBay policy...

All eBay did was give this buyer a warning. OOooo, a warning for attempted extortion.

Don't do business with this guy.

I found out that I cannot leave this buyer a negative feedback because eBay doesn't permit it.

Instead I left a negative comment in a positive rating because that is all I could do.

If eBay removes it, I will close my account.

If eBay attempts to punish me for doing this, I will close my account.

If eBay gives me warning telling me that I'm not allowed to leave negative comments in a positive rating, I will close my account.

I already closed and ended all of my listings because of this and I will NEVER sell on eBay again.

There are plenty of other places I can sell my goods.

In the long run eBay is only hurting themselves.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

They say we are not allowed to leave negative feedback for buyers, yet in the Site Preferences page, they give us this option:

Buyers with a negative feedback score

Block buyers who have a feedback score of -1-2-3 or lower.

This requirement can help you avoid buyers who have received more negative than positive feedback from other eBay members bidding on your item.

So, where do the negative feedback scores for buyers come from?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

I have had the same thing. 4 buyers that did not pay. I use to look at a persons feedback number and feel confident when they had good numbers. Now I see people with good numbers starting to not pay, because there is no negative response for non payment. That is a heck of a deal: If you think you want something buy it , so no one else can, then decide if you actually want it or not. If not just dont pay.

kennygooo
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

I haven't sold on ebay since that date and will not waste my time with ebay. there is too much selling competition out there to deal with ebay disrespect to long time sellers.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

I have an idea... If we can't leave any negative feed backs on non-buyers, then we should have a non-paymnet buyers list. All sellers should protect their store with a non-buyer list.

Myself and friends are getting alot non-payment buyers. I have tried to contact the buyers and still they dont respond. I call ebay and ask what should I do. This is what they said we should do...
"File a non-payment complaint. Do-not leave a negative feedback. The reason for this, the buyer will leave a negative feedback in return," This is a no win solution. I agree to have a ebay non-buyer list... This can make ebay happy and sellers as well.

What do you think about this idea?

Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

The whole reason for the feedback for buyer change was due to unhappy buyers being afraid to leave honest feedback for sellers because of threats by sellers to leave negative feedback in return knowing full well they were selling bad products in many cases. Ebay thinks this will force sellers to be honest and more accountable for what they sell thereby improving Ebay's image. You can thank sellers who abused the system. Ebay is concerned about losing business from buyers who can easily seek alternative online outfits such as Amazon used products and Craigslist, or buy used video games from Walmart, Best Buy and Amazon instead of Ebay.

jetskigolden
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

The answer being seller's cannot leave feedback since 2008 is not the answer.   The question is why can't feedback be left?   Why would ebay change the policy?   It seems like they are now for the buyer not the seller.   I recently had someone bid on an item and they bid on two other almost identical items.   The buyer never paid any of us.    Shouldn't we be allowed to leave a feedback?   This does no harm to the buyer...I have had better luck selling on Craigslist then ebay lately.    Plus, it is free.

commanderstrax
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

non payers SUCK

Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo
This just happened to me...again. happens about twice a year. This time the buyer decided to ask questions AFTER he bought it. Wouldn't pay and now claims I didn't get back to him quickly enough. He then proceeds to warn me about leaving feedback. All this happened on a day where eBay mysteriously reset my email address on file. Spent over an hour on the phone spoke to three reps and put back on old again. I didn't have the time to remain on the line so had to hangup. Still not resolved. In addition to all this, I realized that as a seller you cannot leave neg feedback BC ebayer policy is that it may b retaliatory!! What?? Are you kidding me? EBay and its bs policies have me on the verge of leaving it forever. There is no protection and you have to spend more time than I have to get anything corrected....so I'm looking for new online service to sell my stuff!!!
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

There should definitely be something in place to protect sellers from ebayers with a reputation of being non-paying bidders. However, buyers who do pay should never be subjected to sellers who are vindictive. I don't think it would be hard to implement. 

Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

It is clear that ebay is making a financial decision by not allowing negative feedback for buyers who bid but don't pay.  Negative feedback deters non-serious bidders from bidding, so without the deterrent effect of negative feedback, there will be more bidding (sometimes malicious or non-serious), thus more completed auctions, meaning more final value fees.  I realize that a seller can apply for a refund of the final value fee if a transaction doesn't complete, but there are probably a sizable percentage of Sellers who neglect to properly apply for refunds within the deadlines set by ebay, which means ebay gets to keep the money.  This is a lot like banks and credit card companies that make most of their profit from NSF and late fees -- it's to their advantage to have people who write hot checks or pay their credit cards late because that's where the profit lies.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

I too wonder the same thing.   I have had 3 buyers in last year either not pay or say the item was not as described.

PAypal then charged me a  fee to refund a $3.95 sale item,  so when it was all over I was in the hole and the buyer never returned the item i had to refund

Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo
got 5 non payers in a month, and I wasn't selling large amounts mostly my junk, absolutely wasting time to chase up buyers and now that learning I can't leave negative feedbacks I think it's more wasting time to sell my stuff on here. Leaving eBay for sure! The system is just not fair at all
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

The same thing happened to me that the buyer never paid and never responsed. Suprisingly to me that  I even do not get the right to leave negative feedback. Time to move out of ebay if they do not make change to their policy.

Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to kennygooo

This is BS!  I have a ton of people buying things with stolen paypal accounts and it is a nightmare to get my money back on a transaction here.  And all the sellers have positive ratings which is awful, you can't go back and change that after 15 days when the owner of the paypal account does a fee reversal when he finds out his account has been buying things he hasn't.

I am fed up, I might just open my own site like ebay, I have the domain bevybid dot com.  The way you are going mine will get more and more sellers which in turn will bring the buyers...

Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

Ive had alot of buyers not paid. My theory is they are going around buying items hoping the seller will ship it without them paying. Ebay needs to look into this and suspend buyers that have not paid on  a certain amount of items.

sebbs2012
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

Something simmilar has happened to me. I sold an item and the buyer after paying and recieving the item left demands that I send more then what was listed. Then went on to say how the item was not as listed when it was brand new. Needless to say they left me negative feedback for no reason other then they didnt get the extra stuff they demanded which was not in the SEALED package. And im not aloud to leave a negative feedback to warn other sellers? but buyers can leave false nagative feedback and nothing happeneds. I did report the buyer to ebay but nothing will happen most likely. 

silverbullionuk
Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

ebay sellers should all just move to ebid and bring that site to life. It is so much cheaper to sell on there. Ebay needs to start giving it's sellers more respect.

Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

craigs list belongs to ebay

Community Member
Answered
in reply to kennygooo

I have over 20 unpaid transaction in just 2 month period. Ridiculous how eBay are running things. Ebay do not realize that it's not really up to the consumer on ebay that make their money. Only reason why ebay lose consumer is because seller are sick of selling on ebay. A decrease in sellers will lead to other seller pricing item high and why would a buyer bother going on ebay to purchase anything then. LOGIC PEOPLE. - 

Upon problem like this buyers tends to open case through paypal, which is more ridiculous especially those that pay for it and then open a unauthorized payment case through paypal right after you have ship the item.

Waste alot of seller time & money.