eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
?? Seller Can't Leave Negative FEEDBACK???
I have a non-paying buyer that I can't leave a negitive feedback for... what is up with that?! How will I warn other sellers of this person's lack of integrity if I am not allowed so select "negative"????? This is completely unfair! I do not understand why eBay does not back its sellers at least by allowing us to leave the feedback we feel is appropriate!
Other Answers: 17
aant121
Community Member
Answered
in reply to dreamergirlmemories

There are terrible buyers out there, while with other customers pleasure to do business. Why cannot we rate these buyers? Someone giving me negative feedback without payment and reason, while other ain't accept the shipment and asking refund the next day went the package is sent... The worst thing, I cannot leave them negative feedback to warn other sellers. Feedback system must have feature!

aboveheli
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]

I agree that the "NEW" feedback system is flawed here on ebay. The seller should be able to leave negative feedback for a buyer if the buyer is able to leave it for the seller. It encourages both parties to work things out or both receive negatives! I admit that I have been away from ebay (at Craigslist, Squareup/market, and a few others) for awhile. Let's face it though, ebay is well known all over the WORLD! The new feedback system was a huge surprise to me! I'll see how this unfair system works before I say I will pack up, leave, and no longer use ebay.

I've only had one issues in the past where I received, and left a negative feedback as a seller. I sold a LARGE r/c airplane for "local pick up only" here on ebay. The buyer who lived in another state paid and said he was going to pick up the airplane while he was on his vacation. Well, his vacation never happened. The buyer requested I refund him as he couldn't pick it up. I said NO, you bid, you bought it. The buyer then requested that I crate the airplane and ship it to him. I finally agreed to building a crate (at MY expense) if he paid the additional shipping costs. This whole time he threatened my 100% feedback with his negative feedback. I built the crate and dropped the airplane off INSURED with the freight service to be shipped to his town. It was delivered SAFELY to a freight terminal in his town as he requested. All he had to do was to go down to the freight center and pick up the airplane. My part was done right? WRONG! He had the plane forwarded to him at his own expense and his own local delivery service who SIGNED that the airplane was DELIVERED by the freight service in good condition. These people, who he hired and I had nothing to do with, DAMAGED the airplane when they was transporting it! He requested that I refund his money for the airplane, the freight service, and his delivery service goons. I said NO and after ALL THIS, we both ended up with negative feedback.

So yes, I do think the seller should be able to leave NEGATIVE feedback for a buyer who has been unfair, unreasonable, and tries to extort the seller! I do the best to describe my products but some people expect "used" to be "new" and other just want something for FREE! A seller also can't be held liable for shipping damage caused by the shipping service. Even if the item is insured, the claim process takes time to get a refund and buyers want a seller to pay out-of-pocket when it's not the sellers fault. Many times the buyer also has an obligation to inspect the item and report damage immediately. They also have the product that may need to be inspected by a carrier or sent to a claims center.

!!! NOT VERY FAIR AT ALL FOR SELLERS eBAY !!! 

Community Member
Answered
I'm done with eBay. The feedback system is terrible. I'll sell my camera items on forums for now on. It's a shame it use to be a great service. Bye eBay!
Community Member
Answered

I totally agree.  Between the added fees for "shipping costs" it is almost impossible to make any money selling on Ebay anymore.  Listing fees weren't nearly as high as shipping costs.  It seems that only buyers have rights anymore.  What other sites are out there??

Community Member
Answered
All this will do is increase the popularity of Craigslist
Community Member
Answered
The fb system is unfair to sellers creating a whole slew of problematic buyers you either contend with or sell elsewhere where you don't have to.
Community Member
Answered

I agree.  If I have paid you in minutes after the aution closes, I have honored my contract with you and you have no right to leave me negative feedback. In the past feed back was used as a club by the seller, even when paid in full.  In only this condition, a non payer, you should have the right to leave neagative feedback. Peter.

Community Member
Answered

I agree about the negative feedback.  I sold my son's iPod as "For parts or not working" and he was still able to use it even though it had problems. The person that bought it didn't read very well and bought it thinking they were getting a good deal because it was so cheap.  After they got it they wanted to send it back & get a refund.  Since we didn't refund, I was threatened two times that they were going to give me negative feedback which they are not supposed to do.  They have now posted negative feedback towards me.  Not selling on ebay anymore!

Community Member
Answered

Unhappy buyer leave Ebay and so do sellers!!!

I sell very little on Ebay any more between the HIGH fee's and this bad pool of buyers they have created with no Neg. FB to buyers there are better place to sell.

I have been doing very well on the other sites and a lot cheaper.

Ebay better wake up!!!!

Community Member
Answered
I have a buyer threatening negative feedback if I do not refund shipping for an item he already received.
Community Member
Answered

I didn't know you could not give negative feedback on buyers...when my problem I described above happened..I looked at the buyers review...it was 100% poistive....so i figured he was honest, so I sent the refund...Ebay should pay me back for that....I used theire rating system to determined if this guy was up and up...thats not fair..I'm sure i got scammed...I bet if i din't send the refund the scammer would have gave me a negative rating...Its a scam...I'm sure of it...his account is alwyas a buyer...Never a seller?...I bet he has another account where he resells the items...

rockydaytona
Community Member
Answered
File the UPI complaint and let Ebay handle it. Once a buyer has not paid and the complaint is closed, you will get a FVF refund and the buyer gets a strike and won't be able to leave you feedback. Then you use the seller preferences to block buyers with 2 or more strikes within 12 months. PS. The no negative for buyers has been in place since May of '08.
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]

Can't leave negative feedback! Not fair on sellers ebay if you make it difficult to leave negative feedback or too complicated a process to report.  We as sellers are left to wear the fees.

Community Member
Answered

I totally agree, I just had another case! Ebay view is there are only bad sellers not buyers, I just wasted another week.

Community Member
Answered

I used to make a living on ebay, but due to a busy other career I stopped a while ago, now i find out to my detriment when I went to sell my caddy that not one but twice I got screwed by the buyer. Number one decided that after he won, he did not want the car, but gave me negative feedback and number two who purchased the car after I relisted, decided to beat me out of the last payment after he picked up the car...and I can't give them negative feedback, outrageous, and ebay help was no help at all, never again

mr_lees_deals
Community Member
Answered
Buyers cried and whined to eBay a couple of years back that sellers unjustly leaving them negs. Some sellers retaliated with a neg when they were negged, but not every neg left by a seller fell into that category. Many if not most were justified. But eBay was afraid of losing buyers. Unhappy buyers leave eBay and eBay figured better off keeping as many buyers as possible, even the deadbeats. You were here when all this took place in '08, guess you didn't bother keeping up with all the announcements. LC
“Every sale has five basic obstacles: no need, no money, no hurry, no desire, no trust.” Zig Ziglar
silverstrad
Community Member
Answered

pachamama

If you have a question, you need to start your own thread so everyone can see it and respond to it.

This thread is over a year old- it is highly unlikely that the original poster will come back to read  new comments here.

But what is interesting is that several of the posters who vowed they were leaving eBay  are still selling here - a year later..