eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • StubHub

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member
Can I pay for shipping costs at post office? Or does post office know about paying e-bay?

Do I have to pay costs of shipping the package through ebay?  If so does the post office know? Do I have to purchase sticky paper for package labels? 

Other Answers: 6
maggie_kai
Community Member
Answered
in reply to hvacman83

If you purchase postage online, you get a discount.

If you print a USPS label, the post office will scan the delivery confirmation

information and ship the item accordingly.

I use standard copier paper to print the labels and tape it to the box.

I tape over the entire label.  

The post office says to not tape over the barcode at the bottom.

The only package I had returned to me was not taped over the UPC code

and it was unreadable due to moisture (snow).   I now tape over the entire

label and have no returns.

pingpong517
Community Member
Answered
in reply to hvacman83

it is best to use ebay...post office doesn't need to know..our secret.

you can use label stickers or print then out on paper and glue/tape it on.

ebay labels provide the free tracking so that is a big bonus.....

then you drop them at the post office , or a Box...works the same.....

Community Member
Answered
in reply to hvacman83

Pay your purchase via eBay since you get discount over the Post Office.  I use normal paper and I use 3 strips of 2" tape over the entire label. 

jame234
Community Member
Answered
in reply to hvacman83

No, you do not have to print shipping labels thru Ebay, but you lose a slight discount on shipping and tracking.  You can take the item to your post office to ship it if you like.  Also, you do not have to have shipping labels.  You can use typing paper and tape the label to the package.

scott122620
Community Member
Answered
in reply to hvacman83

I agree with all of the above but also would like to say when you buy it through ebay you don't have to come up with all the shipping out of pocket. It takes it off your pay pal account. If you sell quiet a few items at once it is so nice to have it taken from pay pal, it automaticly marks it shipped and puts in tracking for you plus cost a little less......

centerhill73
Community Member
Answered
in reply to hvacman83

You seem to be confused anout how ebay is paid for shipping and the process.

When a buyer purchases from you, the payment for shipping goes directly into your paypal account as part of the total payment. Then you use that money to purchase shipping. Ebay doesn't know or care where you purchase it or how much it costs. If you charge $5 for shipping and the actual cost is more (or less), it makes no difference. You can purchase postage at the post office, through ebay or paypal shipping (the cost for these is immediately taken out of your paypal account), or anywhere you wish.

At the end of your invoice period ebay will send you a bill for everything you owe, and you will pay them then for the ebay fees. There is no "magic" involved in postage payments. You get them in your paypal account and dispurse them as needed.