eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
Community Member
Accepted Solution
ShipCover vs USPS insurance...

OK, after reading (and TRYING to understand) the difference between USPS and ShipCover insurance, i decided to go with ShipCover.  then i clicked on print label/pay postage, and a box pops up and starts with: THE INSURANCE POLICY THAT YOU HAVE PURCHASED IS BEING ISSUED BY AN INSURER THAT IS NOT LICENSED BY THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA.  (package is going to califorina)  I thought after all my reading, and paying the additional Surplus Lines Tax,,, That covered California!???  Should i void my label and go back to USPS insurance?

Accepted Solutions: 3
rockydaytona
Community Member
Answered
in reply to astrangejourney

no, it just means that the company is not backed by a fund held by the state of California.

if you compared costs and the Shipcover is still less expensive then, there is really no reason to change back to USPS.

I use both and have had no problem with either.

bostongrammy
Community Member
Answered

No.

Everybody sees that California statement regardless of where the package is going, because eBay's main office is in that state and you're purchasing the insurance through eBay.

Community Member
Answered

i used ship cover for a package to Oregon today, it popped up, apparently it pops up every time you use ship cover.  (and no pop ups when you're not getting insurance)

Other Answers: 1
moldy5
Community Member
Answered

so,,, Shipcover does cover claims in California even though they are not licensed in California?  

and re:  "Everybody sees that California statement regardless of where the package is going, because eBay's main office is in that state and you're purchasing the insurance through eBay".   i've never seen this pop up, i'm 'thinking' it only pops up when someone purchases Shipcover as a warning to those shipping to or from California.  

Comments/Answers welcome.