eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Original Little Mermaid VHS, NIP, is it worth anything?

I have a vhs copy of the original Little Mermaid, factory sealed. I tried to do a search on completed items to see what it would go for, but there are no factory sealed originals to compare to. Does anyone have a guess on value?

Thanks,
Murln
Community Member

in reply to murln
Does it have the original "banned" cover? My very slightly used copy sold for over $25 because it did have the banned cover.

The banned cover has Cinderella's Castle in the background. If you look at the spires, ONE just might look a little like a phallic symbol.

You can also do a search for the VHS and add the word banned. Maybe someone has a picture for you to see.

I would guess a brand new factory sealed version to go for at least $25.
Community Member

in reply to murln

Yes, it is the original, banned cover (phallic symbol and all), clam shell, "the classics" (black diamond,) still in the original shrink wrap with a gold disney sticker on the front of the shrink wrap that states "$26.99 suggested retail price" and "$3.00 back from disney no additional purchase required" rebate that expired back on 9/15/90!

i could possibly take a pic and post it here for verification.

i was just wondering if anyone had any info on the possible value. i have tried to do research, but i cannot find any that are still in the original shrink wrap/unopened with the original "banned" cover.

any info would be helpful. :smileyhappy:

thanks,
murln

Community Member

in reply to murln
murln, I think the value will depend on timing.

Some things are selling now, some things are not. It seems to me that bidding has slowed down a bit.

Last year, I bought a DVD of Little Mermaid and paid 70 something. But this was a DVD (which doesn't have the "special" cover) and not the VHS.

I agree with mary, that the VHS should fetch at least 25. Possibly even more. Keep watching the auctions.

Also, not putting a reserve on it, and just letting the bidders "duke it out" can make the price go high.
Community Member

in reply to murln
If you still have this vhs please send me a message. I might have some insight for you.

mike?:smileyindifferent:
Community Member

Re: Original Little Mermaid VHS, NIP, is it worth anything?

in reply to murln
I have the original copy of the little mermaid with the banned case with the pe*** on the front cover it is in perfect condition, it's just slightly used vhs. After we noticed the penise we put it up thinking it would be worth somthing one day... there is a old russion fellow that sold his copy for just under 10,000 dollars to a collecter..so i think depending on who you sold it to.. how much you would get...
hankellin
Community Member

in reply to murln
be careful-- your listing could get pulled by ebay-- we are no longer allowed to sell banned or recalled items on here.
I happen to have the above VHS also still sealed and would love to sell it but no idea on where to sell it at anymore.
Anyone have any insight on how to get around this ban for collectable items?
Photobucket
Community Member

in reply to murln
shoot then find out who it was he sold it to..i heard it was worth $3,000.00
Community Member

in reply to murln
> shoot then find out who it was he sold it to..i heard it was worth $3,000.00

sorry, there are several of those covers currently being sold on ebay for ~ $10

On the other hand, I did find a decent reference to the offending artwork on this urban myth site: http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/mermaid.asp

Low/private feedback IDs are often POSTING ids used to avoid auction interference by PITA lurkers
OP=Original Poster or Post   INR=Item Not Received    SNAD=Significantly Not as Described
NPS=Non Performing Seller   NPB=Non Paying Bidder   NARU=Not A Registered User
UID=Unpaid Item Dispute       FVF=Final Value Fee      &nbspPITA=Pain In The A**
Hover for definitions: ASQ. FVF. INR. NARU. NPB. NPS. OP. PITA. SNAD. UID
Community Member

in reply to murln

not much but i would like to buy it from you for 10 bucks if you have one

Community Member

in reply to murln

Yes, I have heard of a wealthy Saudi oil prince who paid just over 1 million dollars for this, however he had it taken away by the King, such a shame.

Community Member

in reply to murln

I have one too.  I don't believe it's very rare, once the people that bought it originally heard it was recalled they kept it.  I used to work for Disney and people were trying to hunt them down. 

Those crazy animators do that stuff in all the movies.  It's just not as obvious as this castle.

Community Member

in reply to murln

My copy of the Disney Little Mermaid is also the copy with the p***s on the cover. About 10 years ago I was told it was worth around $400 but I'm curious as to what it would be worth now? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I also have about 50 other Disney VHS movies for sale.

murln wrote:

I have a vhs copy of the original Little Mermaid, factory sealed. I tried to do a search on completed items to see what it would go for, but there are no factory sealed originals to compare to. Does anyone have a guess on value?

Thanks,
Murln

Community Member

in reply to njeckman77

I have an original banned copy as well. Typically, when Disney re-releases a movie for a short time, originals skyrocket for collectors. I want to sell mine but have no idea what it's worth today.