eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

*** Valentine Chat 2006 With Nancy Rosin ***

*** Valentine Chat ***

Hi everyone,

I am Arlene, an eBay Senior Content Manager, and I'd like to invite you to eBay's 7th annual Valentine Chat with special guest Nancy Rosin. The chat will be held Monday, February 6, from 2:00 to 3:00 PM PST.

Nancy is the vice president of the National Valentine Collector's Association and she is on the Board of Directors of The Ephemera Society of America. She has thousands of valentines that she's been accumulating for more than 30 years. Nancy's expertise includes:

• Guest starring on A&E's "Incurable Collector" and the Martha Stewart Living TV show
  • Authoring five books
  • Producing a documentary that traces the valentine's evolution over 17 centuries
I hope you can join us for this delightful "heart-to-heart" discussion!

Arlene
Community Member

in reply to arlene@ebay.com
Hi everyone,

Welcome to eBay’s longest running holiday feature – Valentine Chat! I’ve had the pleasure of hosting Valentine Chat with special guest Nancy Rosin since 1999.

We hope you’ll find this hour fun and informative. Please submit your questions about new or vintage valentines, how to store or display them, etc., and Nancy will answer as many of them as time allows. We’ll also view some special valentines from Nancy’s extensive collection.

Now, let’s get started! Nancy, it’s great to have you back again. For people who are new to Valentine Chat, please tell us how Valentine’s Day began.
Community Member

Hi Nancy! Thanks for doing this again! I am ready to show the pics!
Community Member

Hi Nancy! Good to see you again!

Hi Arlene! Good to you again as well!
Community Member

It's wonderful to be back again!
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Welcome to eBay’s longest running holiday feature – Valentine Chat! I’ve had the pleasure of hosting Valentine Chat with special guest Nancy Rosin since 1999.

We hope you’ll find this hour fun and informative. Please submit your questions about new or vintage valentines, how to store or display them, etc., and Nancy will answer as many of them as time allows. We’ll also view some special valentines from Nancy’s extensive collection.

Now, let’s get started! Nancy, it’s great to have you back again. For people who are new to Valentine Chat, please tell us how Valentine’s Day began.
Community Member

As the photos come up, I hope you will asll email and I will try to supply answers to your questions!
Community Member

The history about the origin of Valentine's Day varies, as there were apparently three different people named Valentines! The generally acccepted version is that he was Valentinus, a priest in Rome in the 3rd century AD. He was known to have been a great friend to young people, and encouraged marriage. This angered Claudius II, because a married soldier would give his first allegiance to his wife, not to his Emperor! When he tried to convert the Pagan Emperor to Christianity, he was sentenced to be executed. While imprisoned, awaiting his death, he is said to have restored sight to the jailer's blind daughter. In fact, he left her a note signed, "Your Valentine", and that may have been the very first valentine.

In Roman times, a Pagan holiday, called the Feast of Lupercal, celebrated the festive joys of spring, culminating with the drawing of names in a great urn on a scared altar. That name would be the chosen mate for the coming year.

Romans brought many Pagan holidays to England, where, as Christianity strengthened, a great effort was made to eliminate them. Because of the great popularity of this event, the name was changed to honor St. Valentinus, patron of lovers, who was martyred on February 14, 270. And so, we basically have the continuation of the Pagan custom, with a Christian name!! Everyone was happy.
Community Member

Nancy, I am curious if there are any current valentines that you think might some day be collectible. There is so much on the market, I wonder if any of it will ever be rare and have value. What do you think?
Community Member

Our first image -- i think -- will be a Sailors' shell valentine -- they're so popular now -- people are even m,aking new ones!
Community Member

Community Member

Oops -- it's a HONEYCOMB! Just as much fun! The tissue here was air-brushed and it's about ten inches tall!
Community Member

Hi everyone, so glad to see you back with us Nancy talking about the Valentines. I'm going to settle back and learn more. Thanks again
Community Member

What is the date on that one?
Community Member

Honeycomb tissue cards were made in Germany about the turn of the century -- and they are beautiful -- but very fragile -- the cardboard can be brittle.
Community Member

Community Member

Dastine, anything that is good -- a beautiful example of any type -- I personally think will become valuable.
Community Member

I think if you collect what you like and it gets more valuable -- you're doubly lucky. But iinvesting is another matter.
Community Member

Is there a way to restore fragile paper goods?
Community Member

There is a lot of interest in the more rcent ones from the 30s onward. They're affordable, and they're available -- and they're fun!