eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

Where can you find info such as what candles they produced, when they were produced and info on the history of Gurley candles?
Please use plain text.
pearlsnblume
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
Hi
I know that some of the reference books for older Christmas ornaments, vintage Halloween stuff at the book stores show different Gurley candles.
But there is no real history to them documented in books I have seen.

I don't think there is a book exclusively for Gurley candles.
If there is one I would like to know.

I have come across many Gurley items for Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Halloween and if I remember right they were made in Buffalo NY years ago. They are really cute!

What specifically did you want to know? Perhaps someone can answer.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
I have some info on Gurley Candle Company from my collectible book guide:

Gurley Candles were cute little wax figurines, designed to celebrate holidays & special occasions. They are all marked Gurley on the bottom. They were made so well and had so much detail that people decided to keep them year after year to decorate with instead of burning them. Woolworths and other five and dime stores sold them from about 1940 until the 1970's. They are still plentiful today and inexpensive.

Tavern Novelty candles were actually owned by Gurley. They were similiar to the Gurley candles but not quite details. All are marked Tavern on the bottom.

Hope this helps
Please use plain text.
pearlsnblume
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
Hi
What collectible book guide do you have?
Could you share the name of the book and author please?

And where did you find this book?
Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
~~~Boy, are they selling $$ HiGh $$ !!!!! (on eBaY = LoTs o' Bids!!)
Annie (anquiquest)"one who searches" Colorado doll & scrap artist,"junque"collector, aging vagabond!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
Please submit a specific title and author for reference source, collectible guide, article, anything, that offers information about Tavern Novelty Candles or Franklin Gurley himself. Very hard to find out this info. Thanks so much. Just doing some research. Thanks much!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
Found this on google from a Life Magazine:

For many years, the Magnolia Oil Company's symbol has been Pegasus, the flying Red Horse and drew the bulk of its oil from the giant "Vacuum" Oil Field in texasthat brought prominence to the company). After the Standard Oil of New York (SOCONY) merged with Magnolia in 1931, the company became "Sacony Vacuum Oil". Now, we know this company as ExxonMobil.

Socony-Vacuum Trademark
The Scocony-Vacuum Trademark
Pegasus the Flying Red Horse, beloved of children

The Socony-Vacuum Oil Company of Los Angeles hired Franklin Gurley to start making a whole line of vibrant decorative candles for them that would help use up paraffin, an otherwise discarded substance from oil refining. During the late 1930s and 1940s, these candles were sold at Woolworths and also at the famous department store, Macy’s. The candles came in all sorts of artistic shapes (Bunnies, Duckies, Pixies, Rabbits, etc.) and were sold under the brand name Tavern Candles.

Tavern Candles Tavern Candles
Tavern Candles and their Original Box
Gee, aren't they cute!

These candles are still beloved by Christmas collectors...this one has its original box and bottom label and is in amazing shape for a 1940's candle! Because they were so cute, most people didn’t want to burn them and ruin their appearance
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
That was from the Life: Week of March 17, 1947
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
I have a question about gurley candles. I have a peel away duck hatching out of egg on ebay I've seen it sold as a gurley candle, but under mine which is excactly the same it say peel-away made by W & F manufacturing. Does anyone know if they made these for Gurley or what?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
Pearls:

Sorry, I never responded to your question. My son bought me this book at Barnes and Noble for X-Mas a few years ago. Its:

Garage Sale & Flea Market Annual Twelfth Edition, 2004 its the current values on todays collectibles, and tomorrow's antiques, Collector Book, Schroeder Publishing Co., Inc.
ISBN: 1-57432-386-5 - $19.95

Its not the greatest book for research, but i was just reading the Cookbooks, section, and I have about 6 of them in my inventory. So I will be taking pic's and writing descriptions.

I've been looking for the "Gurly" candles, but I have never found them at all. I think they all melted in the Texas Heat LOL :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
purplegardencat
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
The ones in my attic did!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
I am looking for old 'Gurley' and 'Tavern' Dealer catalogs. If anybody has any old catalogs, who would be willing to make me copies, for which I would pay for to have the copies made.
I am also needing item numbers for the following 'Tavern' Candles (numbers would be on the boxes for which the candles came in).
1. Santa In Sleigh
2. Small Santa Head Lantern
3. Cascade Candle (Colors: Green, Red, White)
4. Santa Boot
5. Santa Block Candle
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
as to the Gurley name and trademark, it is now owned by yours truly! We are putting the finishing touches on the molds now, and will be re-introducing these classics in time for this holiday season! Stay tuned!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
Hi
sorry I missed this post with someone asking about the peel away Gurley item.

Yes, they were made by the same company years go. I have sold a few and sometimes they do well.

The wax encases the chocolate and instead of a wick there is a string to open it up. But since these were made years ago, anytime I sell them, I write for decorations only and not to be consumed.

To the poster who mentioned that they bought the name and trademark, will you be distingushing your new items from the old so as not to confuse collectors?

I think it is a great idea to bring back, but I hope that there is something easily detectable that the consumer will know yours are new and not the years old ones.

Will you be selling them here on ebay or elsewhere?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
per the Gurley candles...Does anyone generally know the years or eras of the 10 cent candles versus the 25 cent candles? I recently found an old shoe box full of them at a Goodwill and I do remember them at my grandmothers home (she's still kicking at 94). Thanks for any responses.
Please use plain text.
decorating_is_my_game
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
songkra,

contact the poster in post #12.
Please use plain text.
4manzy
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
If anyone is looking for Gurly Candle info I have a ceramic mold that produces 3 of the gurley candles. They are in perfect detail. If anyone would like more info on these 3 candle reproductions, please feel free to e-mail me. They are reproductions from actual gurley candles. Not the candles themselves.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
Does any one know about the candles that are animal figures that look like the ceramic ones from Japan (50's 60's). I have a set of these one is a rabbit another a beaver, a squirrel, and a raccoon. they are so cute. There are no labels on the bottom. if you can help please email me dolphtaxi@aol.com
THanks Donna
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
I have a bunch of gurley candles that I acquired when my sister passed away. I am wondering what is the best way to get the dust off them (most were wrapped, some, not) and in the case of those that are a bit bent from heat exposure, is there a safe way to straighten those not badly misshapened?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Info on Gurley candles

in reply to 6280vicki
this message is to Mr.Barclay. You wrote a year ago that you owned the Gurley candle name and trademark and were going to reintroduce these classic holiday candles soon. What's the progress and where can we purchase them if they're available?
Please use plain text.