eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

judylund
Community Member

How to mail coins

How can coins be mailed?  I posted before about helping a charity with a bunch oif donated foreign coins, most of which have no value except to people who want to have coins from different countries. A couple might sell in the $5-10 range on eBay (comparing them to ones of similar dates, although I know there are various things that affect a coin's value of which I am unaware).  If I did sell a coin can it be mailed in a regular envelope if I put it in one of those see through hinged things.( Husband once wanted some and I think he had to buy 100 of two different sizes) Ebays rules have changed so over the years--I go back to the good old days of getting checks in the mail (and no payopal charges).  I haven't figured out how to do the postage on the computer. I don't want to break any rules.  JUDY

Please use plain text.
impalajohnny
Community Member

Re: How to mail coins

in reply to judylund

Take a Christmass card put the coin in it and drive three staples to hold it in place. You can mail several coins in one envelope this way. Christmass card is just the concept, any folded card stock cut to the size of the envelope works.

If it goes over an ounce you need an extra stamp. If you don't have one buy a pocket scale, you can get one for less than $5 on ebay. It pays for itself because without it you'll be running to the post office or using extra stamps just to be safe. Your normal shipping scale may or may not be accurate enough for the task, you can run tests.

Please use plain text.
judylund
Community Member

in reply to impalajohnny

Thanks very much.  I have a few that I know would never sell in the shop and even a few dollars is an OK sale for us!  I'll get to it after the New Year.  And Happy New Year to you! I do have a scale I bought on eBasy for weighing sterling jewelry. JUDY

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to judylund

Judy,

I've been folowing impalajohnny's advice for the last year and doing fine.  If you put your coin in the stapled 2 x 2 holders, you may need to mail as "hand-cancelled," which is 66 cents for an envelope with one coin.  Still inexpensive and appreciated by most buyers.    If you do as he suggests, you can mail multiple small coins for just the normal 46 cents.

I also occasionally buy low priced items with low shipping and find sellers doing more or less the same thing as recommended by impalajohnny. 

Please use plain text.
n.s.sherlock
Community Member

in reply to tdziemianowicz

Here is one thing I dislike about how sellers mail coins....

They put the coin in a plastic flip, then use packing tape to tape the flip to paper (especially the invoice).  The packing tape is hard to remove from the plastic flip and it tears up the invoice.

It would be very easy to fold a piece of paper around the flip, and then tape that to something, but NOT the invoice.

Please use plain text.