eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

bamaj1
Community Member

1877 Trade Dollar ANACS MS-60 - Must Sell

Hiya.  Would like some input.  Need some house repairs done and on my retired budget ready cash is necessary.  Need to unload this ANACS-slabbed 1877 MS-60 Trade Dollar for collectible value, not silver content.  I know what book value was some years ago and have a reputable local dealer.  What do you think should be an acceptable sell price?  Am also now considering letting go of my complete set of circulated Mercuries (ranging from fair to EF, the 16-D (AG-3) and the 42/41 (EF-40) are separately slabbed, there's a 45 micro-S too.  I bought the 16-D in 1968 for $80.  I was 17 and that took a lot of my saved allowance.  Have had it since but I suppose they call everything not BU "cleaned."  Thanks. 

I can't get the tree icon to work to load images of the TD...yet.  Will try again.

Please use plain text.
bamaj1
Community Member

Re: 1877 Trade Dollar ANACS MS-60 - Must Sell

in reply to bamaj1

trade$.JPGT$Obverse1.JPGT$Reverse.JPG

Please use plain text.
southernstargems
Community Member

in reply to bamaj1

Would like some input.

Why not list them on eBay with a 99 cent starting bid?

BTW, that Trade Dollar is not MS-60.  It is a CLEANED coin with MS-60 DETAILS, which makes it worth much less than an uncleaned coin that is graded MS-60.

Please use plain text.
bamaj1
Community Member

in reply to southernstargems

Thanks for that.  I know EYE never cleaned it.  Still looking for input.  I decided some time ago to stop selling stuff here.  My reasons.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bamaj1

going simply by looking at Numismedia, considering that it's an ANACS slab, and 60 details, i'd be happy to get $400 from a dealer...

no clue what it might go for on ebay... but you have to keep in mind ebay/paypal/shipping fees... 15% is a decent rule-of-thumb...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bamaj1

Here is how another seller did recently with a cleaned 1877 with AU details .... maybe that could help?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1877-TRADE-DOLLAR-SILVER-AU-DETAILS-NGC-NO-RESERVE-/151119805357?pt=Coins_US...

Looks in the ballpark of what another poster said?.

Then you need to figure you lose 10% of that to Ebay, and another 3% to paypal if you use them.  On a $400 dollar sale, that knocks you down to $350 net.  

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
daveroo
Community Member

in reply to tdziemianowicz

tdziemianowicz wrote:

Here is how another seller did recently with a cleaned 1877 with AU details .... maybe that could help?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1877-TRADE-DOLLAR-SILVER-AU-DETAILS-NGC-NO-RESERVE-/151119805357?pt=Coins_US...

Looks in the ballpark of what another poster said?.

Then you need to figure you lose 10% of that to Ebay, and another 3% to paypal if you use them.  On a $400 dollar sale, that knocks you down to $350 net.  

Good luck!

This is your best guide.

Actual eBay auction results.

Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Please use plain text.
jesusrocks3339
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to bamaj1

bamaj1 wrote:

Thanks for that.  I know EYE never cleaned it.  Still looking for input.  I decided some time ago to stop selling stuff here.  My reasons.

There is telltale black around the letters that show the improper cleaning that prompted the "cleaned" grade.

I am fairly certain that if this coin was sent to NGC it would come back AU details, not UNC details.  But I am not sure.  Ebay sell prices are a good indicator of quick cash value.  Sometimes certain coins are hot, and sometimes you can get "lucky" and have the right coin for sale at the right time and that will bring the price up.

I think that dealers or buyers could go either way on your coin.  Liking ANACS or a coin with a Details grade is part of the equation.  Also is whether or not the seller is considering ebay as their market determining price or if they have another buyer waiting in the wings.  I wouldn't be surprised if a reputable dealer offered 200 on that coin.

Feel free to post the other pics especially the key and semi-key dates.  I wouldn't call the circ mercs "cleaned"  but I may call them "junk" silver depending on the date and the grade.  Do you have a recent greysheet to refer to so that you can look up each one?

Please use plain text.
southernstargems
Community Member

in reply to bamaj1

I know EYE never cleaned it.

Don't know who EYE is but someone definitely cleaned it, which greatly lowers the value.

Still looking for input.

Are you looking for input or are you just using this discussion board to find a sucker who will make an offer on it and your Merc collection?  I am assuming that you don't actually expect anyone to give you a valuation on your Merc collection based on your description.

Please use plain text.
bamaj1
Community Member

in reply to southernstargems

No, I wasn't asking anything in particular about the Mercs.  Those are for another day and time.  Thanks for the info on the TD.

Please use plain text.
bamaj1
Community Member

in reply to bamaj1

To close the loop and FYI, I was offered and accepted $325 for this TD.  Goodbye.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to bamaj1

dunno if i'd have taken that, but as long as you're happy...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to *smedley*

That seems like a fair offer. Certainly considerably more than I'd have paid for it.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to indian_jeff

oh, i wasn't trying to say it wasn't a fair offer, just that i'm not sure i would have accepted it...

Please use plain text.
jesusrocks3339
Community Member

in reply to *smedley*

I agree that the offer that the op took seemed fair.  Of course seeing it in hand may make a difference.

Please use plain text.
southernstargems
Community Member

in reply to bamaj1

Goodbye.

Adidas.

Please use plain text.