eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

kbis13
Community Member

free shipping vs charging

as a seller, do you think you get more bids using free shipping or when you keep a lower starting bid but charge for shipping??  interested in the responses...... thanks  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
dantes*ri.alto
Community Member

Re: free shipping vs charging

in reply to kbis13

I tried free shipping for a while and it didn't work for me. It seemed like I was making less profit on items. I just try to keep shipping as close to actual as possible and that seems to work. 

Everyone's different though.

Ria
Please use plain text.
ggs_consignment_closet
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

I only offer free shipping on items that can be shipped FC. 

Please use plain text.
snoopynmore
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

I offer free shipping on everything.  Works for me.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

I've tried both and can't really see a difference

Please use plain text.
snoopynmore
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

I mainly do free shipping to protect my DSRs and get a bump in search placement.   I didn't like it at first, but now I do.     No emails complaining about shipping costs or combining shipping.  It cuts down on the things I have to deal with and I am all about making life easier.

Please use plain text.
chembyjr
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

I agree with Snoopy.  As a seller, I need to do all I can to protect my DSR's.  You have to be careful about your pricing strategy to recoup the shipping cost, especially for Priority packages.

Visit my Store: Fashion Center Stage!!http://stores.ebay.com/fashioncenterstage
Please use plain text.
unknown-shopper
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

as a seller, do you think you get more bids using free shipping or when you keep a lower starting bid but charge for shipping??  interested in the responses...... thanks  :smileyhappy:

Are you asking about auctions or fixed price?

--
....ebay shareholder/seller ''congratulated eBay on its new seller procedures, and said he's been a seller ''forever,'' and he's ''never had it so easy to sell.'', 5/14/14
Please use plain text.
kbis13
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

both. i just wonder if you seem to get more bids with free shipping. i cant tell if its working or not. i just wonder if customers see "14.99" as expensive vs. "9.99 + 5.00 shipping"

Please use plain text.
rixstuff
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

When I was new I was advised to offer free shipping but I only got a few bids/buys because it looked like my prices were higher.  Then I bit the bullet and separated out the cost of shipping and my sales soared.  I still do free shipping on multiple purchases or on big ticket items but usually I list it separately.

Please use plain text.
bpatchon
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

I have not been selling very long, but I have had much greater success not offering free shipping. I only charge the maximum amount that I have to for shipping which is what USPS charges and start my auctions at lower prices. 

Please use plain text.
superior-quality4less
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

I do better charging for shipping. I was offering mostly free shipping but am gradually switching back to charging. It works better for me, as it makes my prices look cheaper.

Please use plain text.
kbis13
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

thank you all very much. i think i am going to go back to charging.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
thrifty*dog
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

I never understand this.  I look at the 'total' price, which includes shipping.

To me, $9.99 + $5 shipping is the same as $14.99 + Free Shipping.  Only looking at item price makes no sense.

"Life's hard. It's even harder if you're stupid" ~ John Wayne
Please use plain text.
superior-quality4less
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

To me, $9.99 + $5 shipping is the same as $14.99 + Free Shipping.  Only looking at item price makes no sense.

It is the same, however, some buyers don't see it that way. I recently had an item that I had listed 3 times with free shipping, once I charged for shipping while lowering the price by the same amount, it sold. Go figure.

Please use plain text.
val2525
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

It doesn't matter how YOU look at it, what's important is buyer perception. 

OP, I think it depends on your product niche and your competition.  I charge slightly less than actual cost ($3 for FC, cost=$3.38; $4.95 for padded FRE, cost=$5.35).  Plus size clothing can be heavy - my product pricing is in the middle of my competition (since it's not padded with shipping costs) and my shipping is lower than many of my competitors (and pops out nicely in search results :-) ). 

Please use plain text.
thrifty*dog
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

It doesn't matter how YOU look at it, what's important is buyer perception. 

I'm a buyer only and that's how I look at it.

Please use plain text.
ladivafashion
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

When I offer free shipping buyers don't try to make up reasons for the return so that they don't have to pay the return shipping.  It's really less stressful!.  I do free shipping to keep my DSR's high. 

I do include shipping on pricier items like dresses and jackets because in relationship to the price of the dress, the shipping looks like a very small amount.

Please use plain text.
sunflowers*8890
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

Apparently, Thrifty, many buyers are not as perceptive as you, LOL.  I noticed a quick drop in sales when I went to FS.  I always set my search to include shipping costs, either highest or lowest first.  But in best match or newest first, the shipping charges do not show until you go into the listing.  (I really never understood this since eBay is always pushing FS.)  I think the perception is that the cost before shipping is what the true price is....   and many buyers are here to save money.

I read in one listing "Free Shipping Is Not Really Free".  I'd like to plaster that all over eBay, in flashing red letters! 

Offering FS also makes it important to have a restocking fee for returns, or you can really get stomped on! 

Please use plain text.
thrifty*dog
Community Member

in reply to kbis13

I think the perception is that the cost before shipping is what the true price is....   and many buyers are here to save money.

Penny-wise and pound foolish.  Shipping is as true a cost, maybe even more.  Ever watch those commercials where they say, "get an additional item FREE, just pay the additional shipping & handling", which is usually the same price, if not more, than the product itself.....lol

Please use plain text.